Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

Taken today.

HULLMARK-CENTRE-06-08-2012-1.jpg

HULLMARK-CENTRE-06-08-2012-2.jpg

HULLMARK-CENTRE-06-08-2012-3.jpg

HULLMARK-CENTRE-06-08-2012-4.jpg

HULLMARK-CENTRE-06-08-2012-5.jpg

HULLMARK-CENTRE-06-08-2012-6.jpg

Looks like some of the houses to the South of Emerald Park are up for sale.
HULLMARK-CENTRE-06-08-2012-8.jpg

Not the whole block, but there are three houses on Poyntz Ave for sale by the same agent. This part of the street is part of the NYCC Secondary Plan, I assume it is a commercial-residential zoning. Maybe Emerald Park and Hullmark Centre development will help to steer some development activities on the south-west part of the Yonge and Sheppard. Something better than three gas stations in a row...

The city should use this opportunity to bulldoze those homes and push Beecroft 2 more blocks south to match up with the Avondale/Yonge lights.

I agree that there should be more development on the west side of Yonge to balance things out, but they need to do something about the Yonge/401 - Yonge/Sheppard stretch. The traffic is awful and will get much worse once the Hullmark and Emerald Park developments are finished and residents/businesses move in.

The city should use this opportunity to bulldoze those homes and push Beecroft 2 more blocks south to match up with the Avondale/Yonge lights.

I agree that there should be more development on the west side of Yonge to balance things out, but they need to do something about the Yonge/401 - Yonge/Sheppard stretch. The traffic is awful and will get much worse once the Hullmark and Emerald Park developments are finished and residents/businesses move in.

Subway overcrowding is also getting worse too. The Yonge Street line is already a nightmare but just continues to get worse with every new condo that goes up in North York. (with no relief in site) My brother loved living at Yonge/Eglinton but he moved out of there after 2 years because he couldn't deal with the overcrowding on the Yonge subway. I think it's insane that condos keep going up with no change in site. How bad will car traffic and subway overcrowding have to get before people say I just can't live like that and stop buying condos there? I know I could never live there and deal with that on a daily basis.

Job flexibility helps there, and I'm sure most people don't have this luxury i.e. getting to work 1 hour early or 1 hour late. Even a smaller shift can make a big difference in terms of crowding @ Yonge and Eglinton and surely NYCC. Of course that's not a solution at all.

Hullmark Centre 10th floor Anndale tower

Here's a couple of photos I took today from the newly formed 10th floor of Hullmark Centre's Anndale Tower.

ThVlFc

The swimming pool is now formed. The rooftop terrace will form an impressive garden-like setting for future residents.

MxZu2V

For more photos of Hullmark Centre visit Tridel's Facebook Fanpage http://facebook.com/tridel

Last edited:
Not the whole block, but there are three houses on Poyntz Ave for sale by the same agent. This part of the street is part of the NYCC Secondary Plan, I assume it is a commercial-residential zoning. Maybe Emerald Park and Hullmark Centre development will help to steer some development activities on the south-west part of the Yonge and Sheppard. Something better than three gas stations in a row...

Mostly still residential zoning but the city anticipates (within 5-10 years) changing to commercial zoning for all properties on the first 250-300 feet immediately west of Yonge street from Poyntz to Franklin along with this strip on the south side of Poyntz from Beecroft to Yonge.

The Shell, Esso and PetroCanada gas stations will stay,.... forever,.... they're all corporate owned stations. And goldmine for the gas companies,... on Toronto's main street and just before the onramps to highway 401, the highest volume traffic highway in North America,.... add to that high density of NYCC and the density increases in the area. The property value will have to increase dramatically along with a high offer before they'll even consider selling. All three of these 24-hour gas stations have routinely renovated and upgraded themselves whenever the opportunity arise, thus,... they're showing they're here to stay.

Last edited:

Pushing Beecroft 2 more blocks south will NOT help traffic,.... if that was done then the Beecroft traffic at Florence-Avondale right turn to southbound Yonge street will have to compete with the very heavy left turn from westbound Avondale to southbound Yonge Street which already have a double left turn lane. This is to server all the heavy traffic from the Avondale condo community,.... as you've noted the condo development on the west side of Yonge street is alot lighter than that on the east side of Yonge Street,.... so priority should be given to the heavier traffic from the east side,.... The Avondale-Florence-Yonge intersection is such a pain,.... the city have already widened Avondale,.... and now they're looking at widening Avondale even more,... pretty soon Avondale will be wider than Yonge Street!

As for more development on the west side of Yonge street "to balance" things out,.... it doesn't work that way. The city is really against tearing up "established" neighbourhoods. Plus, the homeowners association on the west side of Yonge Street fights tooth and nail against all unfavourable condo development,.... and they have a very strong winning record!

Actually, the city should have extended the North York service ring road, including both Beecroft Road and Doris/Tradewind, down to a direct connection to highway 401. That's what North York City was planning to do many years ago,... but that plan was halted and the city of Toronto has no plans to extend Beecroft south beyond Poyntz. The city is really anal when it comes to putting in new streets in "established neighbourhoods",... of course that didn't stop Beecroft from extending northward to Finch. At the south end, Beecroft will only connect to Annedale (southern point of Tridel Hullmark Center) and they're currently doing some of that road work now!

When old Maclean-Hunter warehouse was torn down to build the Avondale condo community about 15 years ago, that's when they should have extended Doris-Tradewind southward for a direct connection to Hwy 401. Now it's too late and now during AM rushhour it takes some drivers from Avondale condos 30 minutes to drive out of their parking spot to to corner of Avondale and Yonge!

The city is currently considering how to improve the Yonge-401 interchange as in they have hired consultants to come up with recommendations and to examine suggestions (including mine) but there is technically NO FUNDING for any projects,.... thus whatever the consultants recommends,... there's still no gurantee that anything will ever get done.

To get a real sense of how bad the traffic really is at the current Yonge-401 interchange, Yonge street between 401 and Sheppard was #2 on the city's top ten worst traffic congestion spots,... I'm still bewildered as how it didn't get the #1 spot.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/07/city-looks-at-easing-congestion-in-worst-areas
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1211295--toronto-s-10-worst-streets-for-traffic-gridlock?bn=1

The #1 worst was Sheppard & Bayview intersection, just north of Bayview & 401 interchange. #5 was Leslie between Sheppard and 401. Why are these intersections so congested? If you look at both of these intersections, they both have double left turn lanes from northbound Bayview/Leslie to westbound Sheppard. What's immediately to the west of these intersections? At Bayview & Sheppard, there's only 2 mid-rise condos to the west of the intersection,.... a post-war neighbourhood of bungalows to the south-west of the intersection and neighbourhood of McMansions to the north-west. At Leslie & Sheppard intersection, it's similar in that there's only a handful of condos to the west of it (large Concord-Alex developement is still under development). Question,... why are there so many cars doing northbound to westbound left turns at Bayview & Sheppard and at Leslie & Sheppard??? These cars are coming from westbound 401 and going to Yonge-401 area,... but its too congested. These cars are coming off the 401,... which is already backed up at the Yonge-401 interchange,.. so these cars get off an exit or two early to avoid the traffic congestion at Yonge-401,.... and try their luck on street traffic.

BTW,... Tridel-Hullmark Centre has applied to the city for a left turn entrance from westbound Sheppard Ave West to southbound onto their private north-south roadway running along the east side of Tridel-Hullmark Centre. Anyone already familiar with the traffic in this area will know that this left turn into Tridel-Hullmark Centre will greatly interfere with the heavy left turn traffic from westbound Sheppard Ave West to southbound Yonge Street,... especially during AM rushhour when drivers from condos along Doris use this left turn to get onto Yonge Street as they head towards highway 401.

Our view now is cranes; in the future it will be towers...two views below.

Hllmrk Crne-2012-08-13.jpg
Hllmrk S tower-2012-08-13.jpg

Attachments

• Hllmrk Crne-2012-08-13.jpg
    Hllmrk Crne-2012-08-13.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 415
  • Hllmrk S tower-2012-08-13.jpg
    Hllmrk S tower-2012-08-13.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 418
Pushing Beecroft 2 more blocks south will NOT help traffic,.... if that was done then the Beecroft traffic at Florence-Avondale right turn to southbound Yonge street will have to compete with the very heavy left turn from westbound Avondale to southbound Yonge Street which already have a double left turn lane. This is to server all the heavy traffic from the Avondale condo community,.... as you've noted the condo development on the west side of Yonge street is alot lighter than that on the east side of Yonge Street,.... so priority should be given to the heavier traffic from the east side,.... The Avondale-Florence-Yonge intersection is such a pain,.... the city have already widened Avondale,.... and now they're looking at widening Avondale even more,... pretty soon Avondale will be wider than Yonge Street!

As for more development on the west side of Yonge street "to balance" things out,.... it doesn't work that way. The city is really against tearing up "established" neighbourhoods. Plus, the homeowners association on the west side of Yonge Street fights tooth and nail against all unfavourable condo development,.... and they have a very strong winning record!

Actually, the city should have extended the North York service ring road, including both Beecroft Road and Doris/Tradewind, down to a direct connection to highway 401. That's what North York City was planning to do many years ago,... but that plan was halted and the city of Toronto has no plans to extend Beecroft south beyond Poyntz. The city is really anal when it comes to putting in new streets in "established neighbourhoods",... of course that didn't stop Beecroft from extending northward to Finch. At the south end, Beecroft will only connect to Annedale (southern point of Tridel Hullmark Center) and they're currently doing some of that road work now!

When old Maclean-Hunter warehouse was torn down to build the Avondale condo community about 15 years ago, that's when they should have extended Doris-Tradewind southward for a direct connection to Hwy 401. Now it's too late and now during AM rushhour it takes some drivers from Avondale condos 30 minutes to drive out of their parking spot to to corner of Avondale and Yonge!

The city is currently considering how to improve the Yonge-401 interchange as in they have hired consultants to come up with recommendations and to examine suggestions (including mine) but there is technically NO FUNDING for any projects,.... thus whatever the consultants recommends,... there's still no gurantee that anything will ever get done.

To get a real sense of how bad the traffic really is at the current Yonge-401 interchange, Yonge street between 401 and Sheppard was #2 on the city's top ten worst traffic congestion spots,... I'm still bewildered as how it didn't get the #1 spot.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/07/city-looks-at-easing-congestion-in-worst-areas
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1211295--toronto-s-10-worst-streets-for-traffic-gridlock?bn=1

The #1 worst was Sheppard & Bayview intersection, just north of Bayview & 401 interchange. #5 was Leslie between Sheppard and 401. Why are these intersections so congested? If you look at both of these intersections, they both have double left turn lanes from northbound Bayview/Leslie to westbound Sheppard. What's immediately to the west of these intersections? At Bayview & Sheppard, there's only 2 mid-rise condos to the west of the intersection,.... a post-war neighbourhood of bungalows to the south-west of the intersection and neighbourhood of McMansions to the north-west. At Leslie & Sheppard intersection, it's similar in that there's only a handful of condos to the west of it (large Concord-Alex developement is still under development). Question,... why are there so many cars doing northbound to westbound left turns at Bayview & Sheppard and at Leslie & Sheppard??? These cars are coming from westbound 401 and going to Yonge-401 area,... but its too congested. These cars are coming off the 401,... which is already backed up at the Yonge-401 interchange,.. so these cars get off an exit or two early to avoid the traffic congestion at Yonge-401,.... and try their luck on street traffic.

BTW,... Tridel-Hullmark Centre has applied to the city for a left turn entrance from westbound Sheppard Ave West to southbound onto their private north-south roadway running along the east side of Tridel-Hullmark Centre. Anyone already familiar with the traffic in this area will know that this left turn into Tridel-Hullmark Centre will greatly interfere with the heavy left turn traffic from westbound Sheppard Ave West to southbound Yonge Street,... especially during AM rushhour when drivers from condos along Doris use this left turn to get onto Yonge Street as they head towards highway 401.

Very good summary of the problems at Yonge-Sheppard. I live at Yonge-Finch and take the 401 going west every morning. I'm just glad I'm not going 401 east using that left turn lane. If only there was space to building a fly-over left turn ramp after going under the 401 overpass.

For me, when there is heavy traffic on Yonge southbound to 401, I take Beecroft south until Poyntz which has double right-hand turn lanes and a right-only light. That seems to be moving a lot of cars through, but that is what also causing a backup on yonge.

I looked at condos and townhouses around avondale ave a year ago and immediately I was turned off by the anticipated congestion it would have during the rush hours.

If the city would extend Sentec to connect with Radine and then build an on ramp to fly over Gwendolen park to connect to the 401, it will at least reduce the amount of traffic collection from West of Yonge. Will need to bulldoze between 20-30 houses and the parkland flyover won't be cheap (the golf course won't be too happy wither).

Last edited:
My personal opinion is the traffic is caused moreso by office workers and commuters coming from north of finch/steeles down to or up from the 401, not condo's. However, that's just my opinion...

I personally do not understand why Doris is slated at max 40Kph. I know north of Church it goes to 50, but still it seems silly to me. Now with Beecroft open, I usually take that south (I Live on Drewry), and I usually go around 60ish except for around the bends but I know the city will put up speed limit signs later for 40kph :(

Back