Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

I had a chat with the produce guy at the Metro supermarket the other day. He said that all of the retail stores in the plaza except the Metro had received "termination of lease" notices. He could not understand why they had not received theirs as obviously all of the plaza will have to be demolished at the same time.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but he seemed to be quite certain. He said they will all be out by the end of December.

I wonder what will happen to all the food when the store closes...shipped to another store? Sold at dirt cheap prices? Business as usual but no restocking, resulting in shelves that slowly empty?

Hullmark is apparently getting a Whole Foods and Emerald Park is apparently getting a grocery store to fill the entire ~40,000 sq.ft second floor...looks like the Whole Foods will be finished before TBA Supermarket.

I wonder how grocery stores go out of business and get rid of all their products...

they just won't restock shelves and start discounting items the closer to their termination date.

They'd probably start consolidating things into fewer and fewer aisles as well, slowly closing the store in sections

Yeah, and they could put a heavy sale (even take a loss on some things) and they could easily get rid of merchandise.

You know how people act where there is a crazy sale.

Remember about 7 years ago, a Canadian Tire by my house closed down and they advertised a crazy closing sale. At the end of that weekend, the store was ransacked.

If there is a firesale on the last day, I'm gonna go and scoop up some super-discounted cheese, which has gotten obscenely expensive lately.

Hullmark is a much better spot for a grocery store than Emerald Park because there's so many more people on the east side of Yonge...Emerald Park itself will be the first condo in the SW quadrant of Yonge & Sheppard and won't be especially convenient for evening post-subway food-seekers.

Pedestrian flows could also slightly weaken Hullmark's mini-piazza - depending on where Hullmark's TTC entrance ends up (presumably from close to the corner directly to the Sheppard subway platform), the mini-piazza may not have huge crowds passing through it. The street retail may be key.

Maybe the pedestrian flows within Hullmark will be expertly directed by escalators here, there, but not quite everywhere, like at Metropolis.

Ooh a grocery discount... I'm walking over first time in the morning if it happens. I'm a sucker for cheap groceries.

I wonder if the Tridel Webmaster could shed a little light onto the probable closing date of the supermarket.

Yesterday I asked two employees and was told December 2009 and May 2010.

Is it a secret?

Toronto's downtown moved north

Hullmark Centre is a multi-use urban centre situated on a significant urban node in Metropolitan Toronto at the intersection of two major arterial roads and two subway lines.

The design concept envisions two slender point towers set in rotation along the curvilinear sweep of a 5 storey commercial office podium. This sweep is accentuated by a concave environmental graphic media screen, which animates the Grand Plaza, increasing its year round usability and establishing an urban node as one of the key high density development sites in Toronto. The exo-skeleton structural fin element, lined with programmed lighting that works with the graphic screen, provides synchronised artistic effects and establishes an iconic visual identity for this development.

The mixed-use podium creates a backdrop for the grade-related retail, which includes a large-scale food emporium with direct access to the two subway lines below. The Yonge Street sidewalk has been sequentially expanded into the Grand Plaza and the ground level is lined with a clear glass base to express permeability with comfortable scaled pedestrian canopies lining the facades. All entrances are designed as identifiable ‘portals’; re-occurring elements signifying the entry points to the buildings.

The two point towers, which house 250,000 sq ft of prime commercial office space and 700 residential condo units, rotate in a cubist fashion opening up clear sightlines from the inside of the project into the community. The office component is integrated with a distinctive massing and façade treatment according to the philosophy of 'form follows function' as it adds an additional cubist base to the sculptural form of the project.

The roof area has been transformed into a major landscaped garden and green roof. Vistas from the entire neighborhood will be focused onto this landscaped open space totaling almost one acre in size. Following good urban design principles, vehicular and service access happen seamlessly and safely at grade, hidden from the major urban streets.

12652_1_Hullmark%20-%20Main%20Image%20-%201000pixels%20wide..jpg

12652_2_Hullmark%20-%20Aerial%20View%20-%201000pixels%20wide.jpg

12652_3_Hullmark%20-%20Grand%20Plaza%20-%201000pixels%20wide.jpg

12652_4_Hullmark%20-%20Night%20View%20-%201000pixels%20wide.jpg

Source.

The rendercreep of forests is alarming...this isn't Logan's Run, there won't be mature trees sprouting through the pavement and parking lots in a few years.

Does that scoreboard say "Toronto 3 - Calgary 4"? I guess realism in one aspect of the rendering cancels out all the renderwood :)

Looks like Toronto 2 - Calgary 1 to me. Then Montreal 4 Bos.

I don't see any forests in the renders, I just see the trees in full bloom from the surrounding streets.

Back