Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

The star-struck starchitect fan in me salivates when I see Richard Meier or Herzog de Meuron cited in a thread. We have so much so good in town by Hariri, Schmitt, and McKenna with more to come from them that I intend them no slight by not salivating, and in Foster's regard it's clear that we will be getting some tall Fosters at some point at a couple of sites in town… but a Meier, or a Herzog de Meuron? Bring them on charioteer, bring them on! (Oh yeah, and I'll have a Nouvel too please.)

The star-struck starchitect fan in me salivates when I see Richard Meier or Herzog de Meuron cited in a thread. We have so much so good in town by Hariri, Schmitt, and McKenna with more to come from them that I intend them no slight by not salivating, and in Foster's regard it's clear that we will be getting some tall Fosters at some point at a couple of sites in town… but a Meier, or a Herzog de Meuron? Bring them on charioteer, bring them on! (Oh yeah, and I'll have a Nouvel too please.)

KPMB had originally passed on this project.

from this morning.
IMG_20141219_082022.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141219_082022.jpg
    IMG_20141219_082022.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 1,323
Big apologies for not reading through all 24 pages of this thread, but could someone just explain to me quickly why they're building condos on the Exhibition grounds? I'm not saying this in adversarial way, I'm just honestly curious, I didn't think the exhibition grounds was open for condo development. First time I drove by this I said out loud, "Holy cow they're building condo on the ex grounds now?!?!" Not angry, just really surprised. What are the plans, are they going to build a bunch more?

Sorry, just noticed it's a condo/hotel? Still question remains.

Last edited:
^^^ Crazy. Still seems super bizarre that they're building any new mid-rise on the exhibition grounds. I guess the ex grounds are just huge parking lots for the most part, but it still seems strange. That tower certainly LOOKS out of place with the surrounding area at any rate.

^^^ Crazy. Still seems super bizarre that they're building any new mid-rise on the exhibition grounds.

They aren't building any mid-rises! 27 storeys is and always was a high-rise.

They aren't building any mid-rises! 27 storeys is and always was a high-rise.

Damn. 27 storey high-rise in the exhibition grounds. I just don't get it. How did that get approved. No cynical conspiracy theories, honestly, what was the process? Why did the city want development there? Is this the next City Place?

Damn. 27 storey high-rise in the exhibition grounds. I just don't get it. How did that get approved. No cynical conspiracy theories, honestly, what was the process? Why did the city want development there? Is this the next City Place?

At least put a clock-face on it.

postcard-toronto-exhibition-shell-oil-tower-night-christmas-season-tower-opened-in-1955.jpg

2737529144_13f699a2c5.jpg

Attachments

• postcard-toronto-exhibition-shell-oil-tower-night-christmas-season-tower-opened-in-1955.jpg
    postcard-toronto-exhibition-shell-oil-tower-night-christmas-season-tower-opened-in-1955.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 3,070
  • 2737529144_13f699a2c5.jpg
    2737529144_13f699a2c5.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 3,046

Back