Toronto Hospital For Sick Children: Patient Support Centre | 99.06m | 22s | Sick Kids | B+H

Their campaign is a bit confusing, they make it out like all patients are cared for in the 1950's (university and Gerrard wings). But most patient care is actually in the Atrium and Elm wings. And those areas are now just offices and clinics, I will miss the old buildings as i had lots of visits to clinics there when i was younger but nice to see them rebuilding.

Thanks for the main floor map, but I'm more interested in the service (lower level) and 1st/2nd floors, where a lot of the nitty gritty happens. All the wings's names have changed since I remember it. They were simply the University Wing (orange signage), the Gerrard Wing (blue signage), the Elm Wing (red signage) and the Atrium (green signage). The Elm Wing - including the Helipad - is the 1970s wing, the third section to open. I'm not surprised to see it retained in the long term plans.

I think the closest you can get to maps of other floors are from navigation kiosk's in the hospital (ii remember seeing them when stopping in for a bite to eat a while back), or i have seen the past tendering and contractor websites posting full detailed floor plans for everybody to see (not the best idea imo but cool to look at).

Last edited:
Their campaign is a bit confusing, they make it out like all patients are cared for in the 1950's (university and Gerrard wings). But most patient care is actually in the Atrium and Elm wings. And those areas are now just offices and clinics, I will miss the old buildings as i had lots of visits to clinics there when i was younger but nice to see them rebuilding.

Last I was there, the Atrium had all the inpatient rooms (but many floor sections were often full) and a few outpatient clinics like oncology, while Elm had a lot of the outpatient clinics, and things like imaging, intervention and cardiac procedures that might serve inpatients. Except on the main, service, and 2nd floors, not much patient care at all in the Gerrard and University wings.

Public meeting details, per KWT's newsletter:

The City has received an application for Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment by SickKids Hospital for a new Patient Support Centre at 175 Elizabeth Street. The proposed development features a 22-storey institutional tower with an approximate 1,740 m² institutional floor plate. The proposed development will include 44,520 m² of non-residential GFA, with a density of approximately 19.6 times the area of the lot.

The City is holding a Community Consultation meeting where you can learn more about the application, ask questions, and share your comments.

What: 175 Elizabeth Street Community Consultation
When: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Where: 87 Elm Street, Nancy's Auditorium

A preliminary report went to the April 4, 2018 meeting of Toronto and East York Community Council. For more information and to read the preliminary report, please click here.

For more information about the application and to read the applicants planning rationale report, shadow studies, and more, please click here.

If you have questions or comments about this application, please contact the city planners in charge of this file:

Jason Brander, Planner
Phone: (416) 338-2577
Email: Jason.Brander@toronto.ca

Written comments can also be mailed to the City Planners at Toronto and East York District, 100 Queen St W, Floor 18 E, Toronto ON, M5H 2N2.

According to B+H:

B+H and SickKids Chart New Horizons in Health Care
TORONTO, Aug. 21, 2018 /CNW/ - B+H has been selected by The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) as the Design Architect and Prime Consultant for the hospital's new Patient Support Centre (PSC). The PSC is the first phase of Project Horizon – the SickKids campus redevelopment plan which aims to build an inspired, re-imagined hospital of the future.

The new tower, approximately 22 storeys, will be designed as a state-of-the-art workplace environment to support hospital staff. The PSC will house education, simulation and core administrative services in a modern, technology-enabled and sustainable building, establishing a critical link between clinical care, learning and discovery across the SickKids campus.

Constructing the PSC is an important first step in building the hospital of the future; moving staff out of the oldest parts of the campus will allow SickKids to free up space and demolish aging buildings, clearing the way to build new facilities for clinical care. The new building will also target a minimum of LEED Gold Certification.

"This building will set a new precedent in workplace design to support integrated health-care delivery," says Patrick Fejér, Project Lead and Senior Principal at B+H. "As one of the most highly-regarded paediatric health-care institutions in the world, SickKids requires a first-of-kind facility that embodies the institution's commitment to excellence in care, research and education. The building will serve as a vessel for realizing SickKids' preferred culture and its connection to community."

"To continue to deliver the high-quality, specialized care that SickKids is known for, our administrative functions that support the hospital also need to be at their best," says Peter Goldthorpe, Vice-President, Transformation, SickKids. "By working with B+H, SickKids will pioneer the creation of a forward-thinking, efficient and sustainable building where bold, innovative spaces enable staff to excel at their work."

The new PSC will be a transformational catalyst for the way SickKids works, intended to nurture and empower the organization's talent base by inspiring collaboration and innovation.

The McMaster building is now fenced off at the entrances, and PCL signs are up. There are lights on inside, so I suspect that decommissioning of the building has started in preparation for demolition.

0584FACE-A760-4B1F-861E-A42901075133.jpeg
F567A664-CD04-43E0-991A-06B3D664BAF5.jpeg

Back