Toronto Hospital For Sick Children: Patient Support Centre | 99.06m | 22s | Sick Kids | B+H

May 16, 2020

20200516_080433.jpg
20200516_080527.jpg
20200516_080554.jpg

I have a dumb question. How do they know how deep to dig relative to the sea level? Is there like an altimeter or something?

Member who with their response best walks the line between funny and respectful wins!

I have a dumb question. How do they know how deep to dig relative to the sea level? Is there like an altimeter or something?
I used to do excavations on a smaller scale, but from my experience this is how its done.

The site surveyor will mark an elevation level on an existing structural element, or on a stake that's been driven into the ground.
The excavating crew will use a laser level to determine how far they need to dig, or how much material they will need to add.

1591038011818.png

I used to do excavations on a smaller scale, but from my experience this is how its done.

The site surveyor will mark an elevation level on an existing structural element, or on a stake that's been driven into the ground.
The excavating crew will use a laser level to determine how far they need to dig, or how much material they will need to add.

View attachment 249016
Cool. Thanks. So it’s all relative to existing structures? Wouldn’t that create creeps in accuracy over time if it is all relative?

Wait no, that's not how it works, so those pile drivers you see when projects like this start, they keep going until they hit water and then they employ what is commonly known as a "rubber ducky floatation device" RDFD ... then the excavators show up on site and they keep digging until they find it !

Cool. Thanks. So it’s all relative to existing structures? Wouldn’t that create creeps in accuracy over time if it is all relative?
Geodetic reference datum has long been established across the city, and surveyors confirm all details regarding a site when plans for development are prepared, so essentially they know what height they are at when they start digging. Can I ask you to expand upon why this is a concern to you? Maybe I'm not getting why you're asking.

Geodetic reference datum has long been established across the city, and surveyors confirm all details regarding a site when plans for development are prepared, so essentially they know what height they are at when they start digging. Can I ask you to expand upon why this is a concern to you? Maybe I'm not getting why you're asking.

Thank you!! It’s purely for my own learning. I’m not in this industry but am very interested in it. That’s all. I just see these excavators around me digging all day and am intrigued how they know to stop because when I am told to dig 6 feet to erect an outdoor lamp post, I have no clue what the six feet is relative to, let alone a high rise.

Why wouldn’t they build around it so it’s blocked. It looks so nasty especially right behind City Hall.

You're welcome.

And perhaps you could direct your inquiry to Enwave, the owner of the site.

But my suspicion, if, by 'build around it', you mean the stack itself; the stack is attached to a plant, which is unlikely to have been engineered to support new structure directly over top.

I would wonder that said structure might also impede the stack's proper operation; and would have to clear distances to adjacent buildings.

The plant is otherwise built around, excepting the Walton St. side.

On the off chance you simply meant dealing that that gruesome facade on Walton,; I'm sure that that could be re-clad and landscaped; but you'll have to persuade Enwave to find the $$.

Back