News   Jul 05, 2024
 974     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 536     0 

Toronto Harbour Ferries

Also, I know that this doesn't relate to the ferry replacement program described a few posts back, but evidently Toronto (via TITS) got a new ferry from Halifax this year:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dartmouth-iii-ferry-toronto-centre-island-1.4193295
Dartmouth ferry set to make slow, long journey to Toronto
A former Halifax Transit ferry is about to make its next stop — in Toronto.
The Dartmouth III has been sold to the Toronto Island Transit Service, a privately-owned company that also runs the amusement park on Toronto's Centre Island.

In all honesty I just shortened "Toronto Island Transit Service" to be lazy, I've never actually heard it called that ;)
Toronto Island Transit Service may have to change its name, because Beasley didn't think hard enough. Alternatively, the Beasley Family probably enjoys innuendo.

What's next? The Beasley Island Transit Contracted Harbour?

Why put the onus on others to disprove your notion?
Because I was encouraging others to think differently. I'll explain my thoughts. I feel that things like access to the islands that enrich the city should be wholly funded by the city. Residents of course pay taxes. Those from outside the city will likely be spending plenty of money in the city. Why shake them down for $7.50 at the ferry terminal? User fees in this instance are an unnecessary step. Presto makes the economics worse, since for the pleasure of paying this unnecessary fee, we would transferring wealth out of the city and to Accenture.

Because I was encouraging others to think differently. I'll explain my thoughts. I feel that things like access to the islands that enrich the city should be wholly funded by the city. Residents of course pay taxes. Those from outside the city will likely be spending plenty of money in the city. Why shake them down for $7.50 at the ferry terminal? User fees in this instance are an unnecessary step. Presto makes the economics worse, since for the pleasure of paying this unnecessary fee, we would transferring wealth out of the city and to Accenture.

You could by the same logic say all of TTC should be a hundred percent subsidized.

And where is the $1.1bn required merely to cover the fare revenue foregone to come from? And that’s before considering why transit, as opposed to any other city service or utility, should be free for unlimited use?

Back