News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 544     0 

Toronto Harbour Ferries

This is what I hope will someday supplement or replace the Toronto Island Ferries. :D

London-Cable-Car-Emirates-Air-Line-5.jpg

[video=youtube;it5RkGs7YmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5RkGs7YmA[/video]

I would absolutely love to ride a cable car similar to London's Emirates Air Line to the Islands - the Toronto harbour would make for such a scenic crossing!

This idea is very practical and has a lot of merit.

Is it practical? If it were low enough that the cables were not a hazard to air navigation (about 20 m), then the cable cars would present a hazard to marine navigation, I think.

You could come over from the port, maybe Cherry to Ward's Island beach? Not a lot of demand out there though, and I doubt island residents would be in favour.

For now, if you don't like the ferry, try one of the companies that runs shuttles to the Islands. On at least one of the tour boat companies, you also have the option of being dropped off at the Island, to be picked up later.

I would be more precise, but it would probably be a violation of the site rules on advertising.

I would absolutely love to ride a cable car similar to London's Emirates Air Line to the Islands - the Toronto harbour would make for such a scenic crossing!
The Air Line had an overheating related breakdown while Mayor Boris and and ex Governor Arnie were on board - the design would have to be a lot more rigorous for service in Toronto. While I don't think an Air Line would be a goer for the islands - aesthetically if nothing else - I do have a thought one might work between GO Exhibition/TTC Exhibition and Ontario Place in the event the latter was redeveloped, since those in the pods would get a good view of downtown, Humber Bay and the Ex itself.

CORRECTION: I conflated two events above - Arnie didn't get stuck but Boris did - on a zipline. The Air Line did break down though.

Last edited:
You could come over from the port, maybe Cherry to Ward's Island beach? Not a lot of demand out there though, and I doubt island residents would be in favour.

At the Eastern Gap, a pedestrian bridge would do just fine. We're at about the 100th anniversary of the demolition of the original swing bridge out the the "Peninsula". maybe now is time to propose one again.

Original:

f1231_it1642.jpg

2004 Proposal:

53.jpg

Putting aside money for ferries is one thing, but does this mean the city will be putting out a call for tenders or RFP or something? I don't suppose you can just buy a couple of ferries off the shelf ...

Putting aside money for ferries is one thing, but does this mean the city will be putting out a call for tenders or RFP or something? I don't suppose you can just buy a couple of ferries off the shelf ...

Well, Captain John's is still for sale, isn't it? ;)

This would be great if they could get some modern ferries that still allow open-air seating during the summer, and indoor seating in the winter (or even a hybrid of both).

Does anyone have an update on Parks' contract with Visionmax for the ferry ticketing system. Last news I can find is last year and I presume some announcement would have been made if it was happening so...?

Back