Markham GTA Centre | ?m | ?s | GTA S. and E. | BBB

This comment comes up a lot, but I wouldn't call the Jays' attendance poor. It's not the best, but they've still averaged over 20,000 almost every year since their 30,000-40,000+ highs in the 1990s. The problem is the Skydome is so massive, that even at 25,000 people it looks pretty empty (as a comparison, that would fill this new arena). I predict the attendance will increase significantly over the next few seasons if they continue playing as strong as they are right now.

Sure - I wasn't knocking the Jays at all (I'm a HUGE fan). As I said to TOareafan - their attendance is normal for a team that hasn't been in a playoff race in 19 years. If you live in Toronto, and keep an eye on TV ratings, its quite evident that after hitting a bottom a couple years ago, there's been a new surge of interest with the development of this promising team. I'm very optimistic about both the team and the support it will receive going forward.

Fair enough.

I consider it decent though considering how many games there are in a regular season vs other sports. In addition, there are a lot more major league sports teams playing in Toronto, whereas a lot of MLB cities are just baseball cities through and through. Regardless, considering Toronto's population we should be drawing 30,000+ crowds every game, and I think we'll get back to that number soon enough; assuming tonight's 12-2 loss was just a fluke.

It may be decent in a Toronto context but that is probably an issue for MLB. I am pretty sure that they would expect one of their largest markets to be better than 25th in attendance.....Toronto is, what, a top 3 market (in terms of size) when compared to other single team markets? (ie. NY, Chicago, LA, DC-Baltimore, Bay Area all have two teams).

@Toareafan

I believe we argued about this a few months ago. :)

We may have.

I don't actually disagree with you - the Jays attendance has been low. But there is nothing unusual about an MLB team drawing poor crowds when it's been in a prolonged playoff drought. For example, the Yankees drew 21K a game in 92, the last time they were uncompetitive (http://tinyurl.com/67yr9tf). The Phillies drew in the low 20ks ten years ago, before their new stadium and before they got competitive (http://tinyurl.com/7nrhy5a).

Baseball attendance took a major leap in the mid-90s.....in large part because of the Jays. When I was growing up (hate to sound like an old guy) reaching the 1million mark in attendance was seen as sign of success. Through the 80's that "success mark" shifted to 2 million and up.

So that 92 Yankee figure is only partly due to lack of success and partly because that is what baseball attendance was. I believe the Jays were the first team to reach 4 million in attendance (at least that is what the little souvenir they gave us the night they reached that mark said that night).

So I hate to sound "selective" in my sample testing but current Jays attendance marks should really only be compared to other cities in the majors since the mid-90s as that is the market they are operating/relevant in.

I'm sure if you look through ESPN you can find examples that are exceptions to that, but I can assure you (as a seriously hardcore MLB fan) there is a general strong correlation between long periods without a playoff race and poor attendance. (With the exception of a new stadium, or certain teams with incredible, Leaf-like support such as the Red Sox and Cubs).

The support for the Jays is neither surprising nor unusual in light of 19 years without a playoff race. As they get better, their numbers will improve. Not 50k a game again, you're right.

Your right, the problem with comparing attendances is that no one factor affects them in isolation. So, yes, you would expect dips to occur when perfromance is poor but other factors like the size of the market, the size of the corporate community and the location/quality of the stadium come into play. I think we have to be honest, though, and evaluate support for the Jays since those great days as pretty disappointing. While they have not made the playoffs in 19 years, I think it is overstating to say they have not been in playoff contention at all during those years. There was, at least, one year when they were in the wildcard hunt and finished 3rd in that race.

You may have guessed that I am a bit of an attendance/stat geek.....the first time I recall concluding that baseball was probably in a bit of trouble in this city was when they signed Roger Clemens. That year I monitored Jays attendance on games he pitched versus games he did not pitch. The theory I was working on was...."here is a team that is trying to recapture their glory days by signing the best (at the time) pitcher in baseball....really making a splash with the cash to bring the fans back." Interesting it was a starting pitcher because you could really isolate the impact he had on attendance because it was 1 out of every 4/5 days and his scheduled starts were known well in advance. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I recall there was a slight enough difference in Jays attendance on his starts that you really could call it statistcally irrelevant. What that tells you is that sports fans either were not paying enough attention to the Jays to notice when he was starting or they did not care. Not sure which is worse, but neither could be seen as encouragement to management to spend big to draw the fans home. Clemens turned out to be a success on the field (added to Pat Hentgen's earlier CY Young award to make the trophy Blue Jay property for 3 straight years) but did little for them at the box office.

I have been weirdly fascinated by Jays attendance for some time. I don't think they are in any danger of leaving town/folding (their stadium ownership and tv deals/owners makes sense of the business elsewhere) but as far as a baseball market/town I have concluded Toronto is probably a middling to slightly below average town and that the early years of the dome combined with the World Series wins were the perfect storm that created a statistical blip in their attendance. I think they would do well to get back to a long term average of 30k per game (and they are far from that now).

Anyway - I'm only making that distinction because the topic is a 2nd GTA NHL team, and someone suggested that the recent low Jays attendance could be an indicator that Toronto might be 'tapped out' for sports because of that.

My point is - the Jays recent poor attendance is a reflection of the team's lack of a postseason pursuit. It does not indicate that Toronto is already 'tapped out' for sports or something like that. Many smaller sized cities in the US have 4 teams in the 'big 4' plus college, MLS etc. Look at cities like Denver (2.5 mil METRO - 4 teams in big 4), or Minneapolis (3.3 mil METRO, 3 teams in big 4). I know we have the Argos, but as I said most of these cities have college sports programs that draw similar numbers or better than the Argos do here.

I think there is no association/correlation between Jays attendance and the success (or lack thereof) that a second NHL team would have in Markham (or anywhere else in the GTA). I think there are entirely different issues at play for the NHL here than face baseball (or any other sport). I think you could make a go of it with a second team in the GTA but I doubt they would be any better than a 15th - 20th place team in terms of revenue potential...so whether it happens will depend, largely, on what the price of entry is relative to that revenue standing.

Last edited:
It may be decent in a Toronto context but that is probably an issue for MLB. I am pretty sure that they would expect one of their largest markets to be better than 25th in attendance.....Toronto is, what, a top 3 market (in terms of size) when compared to other single team markets? (ie. NY, Chicago, LA, DC-Baltimore, Bay Area all have two teams).

The Yankees attendance numbers were horrible in the 80s and 90s compared to today. In 1992, they averaged 21,000. (oops, looks like this has already been addressed...)

I also question how teams report attendance figures. I think the definition of a "sold" ticket is a bit vague. Before Beeston took over, the Jays used to count any ticket not in the team's possession (so given to fans, groups, charities, etc) as a ticket sold. I wouldn't doubt that this is happening in many places. I don't think this is unique to baseball though. It's something that happens across many sports in order to skew people's perceptions of the team's success. How many "sell outs" have there been where you can visibly see many empty seats? Sure those could be season ticket holders or businesses who don't use their tickets for that game, but I suspect there's a bit of attendance bumping going on as well.

And really, for a lot of teams, there's no disincentive to lying about attendance figures. Given most leagues have a cap or some sort of luxury tax attached to revenue, the bottom line is all that matters.

Yeah, with the way the Jays anchor Rogers television lineup, and the synergy Rogers has (team/stadium/Sportsnet/TheFan/Cable etc etc) they're in no danger of moving. Probably almost regardless of attendance (within reason of course). Their ratings are legitimately excellent (http://tinyurl.com/cjk2ke3). Particularly when you consider they play 162 games.

It's a good point that attendance did pick up in the mid 90s all around MLB. It doesn't negate the 'playoff races = bigger attendance' general rule which does stand just about everywhere. But yeah, fair point.

"I think it is overstating to say they have not been in playoff contention at all during those years. There was, at least, one year when they were in the wildcard hunt and finished 3rd in that race."

With respect I will fully disagree with you here. There has been no meaningful September baseball here in 19 years (most frustratingly!). The Jays did finish a few games out of the Wild Card in 1998 and I seem to recall a sense in late summer of that year that they might make a run. (And hey, they drew 30k that year, not a bad number for a non playoff team). Other than that there's been nothing close. There was a 2nd place finish in 06 but they were 8 of of the WC. That's not a lot to go on over 19 years.

I agree with you the numbers have been poor (though I find it more understandable in light of the circumstances than I think you do). I think the only real difference in opinion we have is that I think the Jays will draw well once the team starts entering the playoff picture again, and I gather you're more pessimistic. Fortunately, with the farm system and young core they have, I think there's a good chance the answer to this will be determined over the next couple years.

If MLSE hasn't come out against this (have they?) then they are likely in some way behind this. You can't build a back yard rink in Ontario without them suing. It's clearly for an NHL team. My prediction is Bell and Rogers will agree to an amicable split over the joint stake in MLSE. One party will get MLSE, the other will get a relocated NHL team in the burbs. That way MLSE (the only ones who can stop this from happening) are already on side. The relocation of a southern US team to Toronto is done on terms that benefits MLSE.

It's all very clever except I can pretty quickly think of a number of better locations for an arena in the 'burbs (VCC or downsview). Arenas with bad transit tend to be pretty nasty. But hey, good for them for trying. Go Coyotes Go!

One last response from me (we don't want to hijack the thread!)

It's a good point that attendance did pick up in the mid 90s all around MLB. It doesn't negate the 'playoff races = bigger attendance' general rule which does stand just about everywhere. But yeah, fair point.

I don't think I disputed a relationship between winning and attendance (or, if I did it was a mistake) of course it exists for all but a very few sports franchises. I just don't think you can compare attendances now with those prior to the boom in baseball attendance (which was ironically led by the Jays). Attendances all around baseball were simply lower and the game/economics have shifted to where they can't be compared.

I agree with you the numbers have been poor (though I find it more understandable in light of the circumstances than I think you do). I think the only real difference in opinion we have is that I think the Jays will draw well once the team starts entering the playoff picture again, and I gather you're more pessimistic. Fortunately, with the farm system and young core they have, I think there's a good chance the answer to this will be determined over the next couple years.

I am pretty optomistic...I sense more people talking about/paying attention to the Jays. I just, also, sense that the long term number for the Jays is around 30k per game....that would put them as a middle of the pack team in terms of attendance. There may be years that late season baseball/playoff contention can see them blip to to 3 million fans and seasons were they fail to make the 2 million mark.....long term, 30k per game seems a reasonable goal.

I could be wrong on this (and kinda hope I am) but I think we are a mid-pack city in terms of support for baseball. It only frustrates me when I hear people suggesting that the 50k per game days were the "norm" and that the last 19 years have been the "blip".....I think that is just way too optimistic and that those years were the culmination of an almost civic effort of 15 years to win in the bigs and the perfect attendance storm was created when the team got that good at the exact time they were opening the spiffiest/coolest of stadiums.

Now....people may wonder what this has to do with a new concert/hockey venue in Markham and I think you and I would have to agree to say....well, nothing really. ;)

If MLSE hasn't come out against this (have they?) then they are likely in some way behind this. You can't build a back yard rink in Ontario without them suing. It's clearly for an NHL team. My prediction is Bell and Rogers will agree to an amicable split over the joint stake in MLSE. One party will get MLSE, the other will get a relocated NHL team in the burbs. That way MLSE (the only ones who can stop this from happening) are already on side. The relocation of a southern US team to Toronto is done on terms that benefits MLSE.

It's all very clever except I can pretty quickly think of a number of better locations for an arena in the 'burbs (VCC or downsview). Arenas with bad transit tend to be pretty nasty. But hey, good for them for trying. Go Coyotes Go!

Interesting re some kind of split...but whichever company gets the new team would have to be getting a heck of a deal. The leafs, the most valuable brand in hockey (per Forbes, I think...success aside) vs a brand new team.

If MLSE hasn't come out against this (have they?) then they are likely in some way behind this. You can't build a back yard rink in Ontario without them suing.

Really, I try to follow this stuff pretty close but I only remember one suit and it was over the agreement on the rink they used to own and sold to Ryerson/Loblaws. In that case they had a contractual agreement with the new owners which they felt was not being honoured.

Did they launch an action when any of the Powerade, Hershey, GM in Oshawa, WFCU Centre, Ricoh (before they took it over), TD Waterhouse or Scotiabank were built? I don't think so.

They believe that the area in a 100 mile radius of Toronto is their market for NHL hockey. That is all they have said. If a new team is located or moved to within that territory then they believe that new owner has to negotiate with them and compensate them in some fashion for taking part of their market. The notion that they think they have a veto is, largely, a media creation. If someone wants to put an NHL team within a 100 miles of the ACC they will have to negotiate compensation with the Leafs....that is not only (IMO) "right" there is lots of precedence in pro sport for that to be the case.

FPF8v.jpg

^^ I wonder if this "downtown" arena will be surrounded by huge parking lots or will it really be in an urban setting?

If you saw post earlier; This is too be built beside the giant athlete training facility. From what I can see most of the parking is underground.

Worse case is temporary above ground parking maybe ?

Woo hoo perfect ... thanks !

I posted this in the other thread but:

It looks like there will be interim above ground parking.

I'm surprised there are no detailed drawings or renderings or siteplans! Where are those ??

Back