Toronto Grange Park | ?m | ?s

Dog park fencing is officially complete (Monday the fencing on the south side was still zip-tied). Lots of dogs (mine included) using it around 6pm each day this week. All that seems to be left is installation of the drinking fountain on the east side, near the bench/doors.

The Henry Moore has been moved. The park looks fantastic!

cnkr5IU.jpg
IMG_0243.JPG

However, this is sad.

IMG_0239.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    843 KB · Views: 391
Could be interesting if they use the space for temporary installation art.

I think they need to renovate the side wings as well.

Time for new art?

The AGO tweeted that a new piece is going to be installed in the corner. Which begs the question: why not just install a new piece in the park and leave Two Forms in its iconic place? The AGO owns other Henry Moore sculptures or could have acquired another one to put in Grange Park. In fact, Grange Park should become a sculpture garden for the AGO with permanent and rotating pieces on display.

DBag0lZW0AAj4Il.jpg

Last edited:
Higher visibility IMO.

Grange Park is unforunately very separated from the AGO and I doubt people going to the AGO usually go there as well. Hence them essentially putting the Moore 'to pasture' there.

It could be interesting if they program the new art installation like the MoMA PS1 summer art/architecture installation- something temporary, interdisciplinary and interactive.

Higher visibility IMO.

Grange Park is unforunately very separated from the AGO and I doubt people going to the AGO usually go there as well. Hence them essentially putting the Moore 'to pasture' there.

It could be interesting if they program the new art installation like the MoMA PS1 summer art/architecture installation- something temporary, interdisciplinary and interactive.
Now Grange park has been (well) fixed up I bet more people WILL go there and I thought AGO were going to open an entrance onto it, at some point.

Now Grange park has been (well) fixed up I bet more people WILL go there and I thought AGO were going to open an entrance onto it, at some point.

Yes, I recall reading somewhere in this thread that the AGO would open up the old house to the Grange as an alternate entrance into the museum. Right now, it's a members lounge. I was a member and I have to say that it felt like a waste. Hardly anybody used it.

EDIT: Found it. Looks like one of the buildings off to the side of the original AGO house, not the house itself, will be used as a South Entrance.

urbantoronto-10322-36968.jpg

I wish part of the guild inn sculpture park was downtown, well that's not too say it should be moved; But that's a great asset to Toronto that many don't get to see given its location

I wish part of the guild inn sculpture park was downtown, well that's not too say it should be moved; But that's a great asset to Toronto that many don't get to see given its location

This discussion prompts two similar thoughts I frequently have with regard to Toronto parks and sculpture art:
1) We don't do a good enough job promoting the work of OCAD students;
2) Toronto has so many under-programmed parks (some of which are quite large and/or prominent), and it'd be really cool to do an urban version of Storm King or Noashima Island. Given its proximity to the AGO, I've always thought Grange would be a great location for that (though, now, I'm very pleased to see how it's turned out).

The Moore looks a lot happier there and serves as a centrepiece for the park. It would probably look great spotlighted after dark too. The one spindly tree on the north east corner is looking a little forlorn, hopefully they will address that space with something interesting.

Back