Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Great stuff! I'm wondering if they're going to remove the diamond anytime soon...

I’m sure the physical diamond trackwork will be taken out quickly and replaced with a stretch of plain rail, in the interest of avoiding wear and tear from freight wheels thumping over it. Possibly that will permit CP to raise its track speeds a touch.

The diamond is also a control point that is wired into CP’s CTC. Unwiring that is a bit more complicated and expensive, so for the short term it will no doubt continue to exist as a signalled control point. When the West Toronto diamonds were removed, it was a year or more before the signalling for those were removed.

CP has also taken its Howland crossovers out of service - possibly there is a plan to resignal the whole stretch from Leaside to Osler. The interlocking at Osler was rebuilt a couple of years back, so it’s already up to date. CP is also in the process of replacing the original 1950’s searchlight signals at West Toronto. I’m guessing that it’s only a matter of time before the Davenport control point disappears.

- Paul

I’m sure the physical diamond trackwork will be taken out quickly and replaced with a stretch of plain rail, in the interest of avoiding wear and tear from freight wheels thumping over it. Possibly that will permit CP to raise its track speeds a touch.

The diamond is also a control point that is wired into CP’s CTC. Unwiring that is a bit more complicated and expensive, so for the short term it will no doubt continue to exist as a signalled control point. When the West Toronto diamonds were removed, it was a year or more before the signalling for those were removed.

CP has also taken its Howland crossovers out of service - possibly there is a plan to resignal the whole stretch from Leaside to Osler. The interlocking at Osler was rebuilt a couple of years back, so it’s already up to date. CP is also in the process of replacing the original 1950’s searchlight signals at West Toronto. I’m guessing that it’s only a matter of time before the Davenport control point disappears.

- Paul

The Brampton diamond is still in place and signalled, 15 months after OBRY’s abandonment.

The Brampton diamond is still in place and signalled, 15 months after OBRY’s abandonment.

True, but it’s the one-way type that offers no gap in the rail surface for CN, so less incentive to rip it out…. and besides, OBRY is the junior road and is the railway paying for its maintenance. Perhaps it is being retained for now in case railway equipment gets used to tear out the OBRY track materials.

Brampton will remain a control point because the CN line needs the crossovers that are part of the CN line…. whereas once the GO track is removed at Davenport, CP no longer needs a control point at that location - it serves no function for CP and operationally it’s of no value. Money will be saved by removing it.

- Paul

There's been a lot of talk about the aesthetics of the elevated guideway.. my question, now that the guideway will be operational soon... will there be a cool view from the trains? Or will it be totally obscured by the sound barriers? I am considering taking a joyride from Downsview to Union.

There's been a lot of talk about the aesthetics of the elevated guideway.. my question, now that the guideway will be operational soon... will there be a cool view from the trains? Or will it be totally obscured by the sound barriers? I am considering taking a joyride from Downsview to Union.
Pretty sure you'll be able to see over the barriers from the upper level of the trains.

They need to remove it to build the pedestrian path. Definitely the diamond cannot stay as is for long.
In theory they can remove the disused railroad but keep the diamond area intact and signalled (due to the amount of time it takes to modify the signal), wouldn't it?

Technically, it would not interfere with pedestrian walkway construction, and some workarounds can be done (signal now permanently staying clear to CP), by not having to wait for full CP de-signal modifications before pedestrian walkway construction.

In theory they can remove the disused railroad but keep the diamond area intact and signalled (due to the amount of time it takes to modify the signal), wouldn't it?

Technically, it would not interfere with pedestrian walkway construction, and some workarounds can be done (signal now permanently staying clear to CP), by not having to wait for full CP de-signal modifications before pedestrian walkway construction.

Exactly. Signalling components may hang around for decades because it isn’t worth ripping out the part that’s no longer needed. No different than the electrical outlet behind your sofa that you don’t use any longer because you rearranged your furniture. It just sits there. Railway circuitry can be “jumpered” to simulate the removed components…. eg a track switch is torn out, the circuitry still “sees“ that the switch is lined and locked (and never changes state) when it is long gone.

I have some difficulty believing that the Brampton diamond will be directly replaced with a walkway or bicycle path. Presumably when the trail is designed and built, there will be considerable attention to appropriate crossing protection. That’s a little more complicated than just pulling out the diamond and replacing with paving. That’s a bit of an apples and Oranges to Davenport.

- Paul

Yes I just meant the tracks themselves, in regards to the signalling I have no clue

Curious. What is the current price of old railway tracks to be recycled?

SantiagoRail.jpg

Important to re-use before re-cycling. :)
(Photo from Santiago, Chile. I saw lots of these around)

Curious. What is the current price of old railway tracks to be recycled?
If it in decent shape, the railways often keep it for re-use in sidings, etc. Otherwise, it has scrap value, along with plates, spikes, etc.. I noticed in Paul's link that none were from around here. You might get somebody who has a short piece as an anvil (I do) or an objet d'art. I wouldn't want to pay for the shipping.

Back