Mississauga GO Transit: Cooksville GO Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | WalterFedy

Is the bike room a long-term lease kind of deal like the lockers? I didn't realize an indoor bike room was part of the plan.

I wouldn't consider Metrolinx as short-sighted as you think they are. They're definitely not "wasting" money by building these lots and parkades. We saw earlier this year that they're thinking about charging for parking, and I would be pretty confident that this idea will only gain momentum down the road. Even if their rates are modest, it'll generate a lot of money, considering they have somewhere around 80,000 parking spots across all stations.

Transit-oriented development is unfortunately not practical just yet for a lot of these stations. For many, there's way more demand for parking than there would ever be for TOD. GO stations generally serve huge suburban areas and they'd essentially be shutting a large market out if they had no parking. Eventually it will happen though, it'll just take longer. Cooksville is in a good position for it to happen sooner since it'll be right next to the LRT, but the parkade is a practical step forward in the meantime.

Then why not put in a parking garage and transit-oriented development together? Or use the parking facility money to allow GO riders to use local transit for free? I see no evidence that this area has no demand for TOD. Burlington, Oakville, and Port Credit have all seen TOD in recent years.

Then why not put in a parking garage and transit-oriented development together? Or use the parking facility money to allow GO riders to use local transit for free? I see no evidence that this area has no demand for TOD. Burlington, Oakville, and Port Credit have all seen TOD in recent years.
That not how Metrolinx works these days. If one looks west of Burlington Station, they will see 3 out 5 towers built that could have been built on GO site. Sales is still slow for the current 3 towers that the other 2 have been pushed back a number of years considering construction was to start in 2021.

The whole block for Cooksville was bought by Metrolinx for TOD, but no developer has come forth with a plan.

Port Credit is to see TOD when the new station and parking structure gets built in the the next few years as well the LRT Station. LRT station is going to dictate when things gets built on the parking lot. A 22s tower and 18s is plan to be built on top of the parking structure. No idea what the current height will be for the parking structure as Metrolinx wants 8s and the city wants 4s or less. I support the less than 4 with parking underground. There is still talk that Metrolinx wants to start building the PC parking structure next year considering it was supposed to be built a number of years ago.

You will never see walk-in riders get free rides from the free parking structures.

These things all take time. I'm not saying that we won't see TOD, because it absolutely will happen in the future, it just needs to gradually get there over time. The parkades are just a step in the process.

The way I see it, it's part of a long-term plan to yield the most money possible out of the site. Greatly expanding the parking facilities while they're still free gets people to use the GO system and integrate it into their lives. At some point down the line for these stations, they'll probably start charging small premiums for parking (call it a "green" fee and claim that it's being used to encourage transit and alternative transport use), and most people will pay because they've already built their lives around the system. Eventually, they can start developing the surface lots with TOD once the urban demand starts to put pressure on the area, and subsequently raise parking premiums to "compensate" for lost spaces. At the end, they'll be left with a single, paid site parkade surrounded by TOD, and will have made a significant amount of money in the process.

Last edited:
At this point, we're already seeing a lot of development pressure within the GTA on account of demand for real estate and restrictions on supply like the Greenbelt and restrictive zoning laws in cities around the GTA. I think waiting further is just exacerbating problems we have. Moreover, GO transit is still too focused on people driving to their stations. There needs to be more fare integration and improvements to surface transit in the suburbs.

That not how Metrolinx works these days. If one looks west of Burlington Station, they will see 3 out 5 towers built that could have been built on GO site. Sales is still slow for the current 3 towers that the other 2 have been pushed back a number of years considering construction was to start in 2021.

The whole block for Cooksville was bought by Metrolinx for TOD, but no developer has come forth with a plan.

Port Credit is to see TOD when the new station and parking structure gets built in the the next few years as well the LRT Station. LRT station is going to dictate when things gets built on the parking lot. A 22s tower and 18s is plan to be built on top of the parking structure. No idea what the current height will be for the parking structure as Metrolinx wants 8s and the city wants 4s or less. I support the less than 4 with parking underground. There is still talk that Metrolinx wants to start building the PC parking structure next year considering it was supposed to be built a number of years ago.

You will never see walk-in riders get free rides from the free parking structures.
Milton line would be more attractive for TOD if it was getting the 2WAD 15 minute service, which is as I understand it unlikely to happen.

At this point, we're already seeing a lot of development pressure within the GTA on account of demand for real estate and restrictions on supply like the Greenbelt and restrictive zoning laws in cities around the GTA. I think waiting further is just exacerbating problems we have. Moreover, GO transit is still too focused on people driving to their stations. There needs to be more fare integration and improvements to surface transit in the suburbs.
We should be spending as much money on attracting people to use other modes to get to the station. Kind of crazy that a person has to pay to use the bus to get to GO but can get subsidized parking. Kind of crazy that we subsidize car drivers far more per rider for parking facilities than we do people who ride to the station. In some places, they make it easy to have a bike at both ends of your train journey to address last mile with protected, secure parking. You leave a bike on the work end of your trip overnight/weekends. Not practical at Union, but it makes it more reasonable to use GO to stations like Cooksville if you live in, say, Milton and ride your bike the couple of kms to your office. Rather than having a long walk or a long wait for a bus. With cycling your trip times are a lot more predictable so no missing your bus and being late, or leaving work 5 min late to miss your bus and then missing your train home. Current GO policies are hostile to leaving your bike at the station. If we're willing to spend $40k to accomodate 1 car commuter, we can invest much more in accommodating a bike commuter.

Contracts for Port Credit TOD and parking garage will go out in 2020/2021 according to this.

Can you all PLEASE stop typing literally hundreds of words and then throwing in one stupid abbreviation!?!? At this point I dont know what TOD is and I don't even care anymore.

Cross posting Oct 6

Cooksville GO – MiWay buses: routes 28 and 91 will use new bus loop starting tomorrow
5f7ced4e06b6a361d7fcbb11.jpg
5f7ced4e06b6a361d7fcbb12.jpg
Cooksville GO passengers: Starting tomorrow, MiWay buses: routes 28 and 91, will use the new bus loop to pick up and drop off passengers.

Please board route 28 at platform 6 and route 91 at platform 7.

The new bus loop is located on the north side of the parking garage, between the west tunnel and pedestrian bridge.

MiWay buses: routes 28 and 91, will no longer use the north-west corner of Hurontario Street and John Street to pick up and drop off passengers.

Click here to get the most recent construction updates on your station.

Had a look at Cooksville today and can't figure Metrolinx bay numbering. GO has bay 10 & 11 on the east end with 9 a blank if it is 9. miWay 91 is bay 8, 28 is bay 7, assuming 53 will be bay 6 and 2 blank miWay for 5 and 4. What happen to bays 1-3??

Back in Aug and early Sept, bay 7 was at the west end.

All bus bays have screens for them, but not working like the other screens.

As a note, the old entrance to the platform from Hurontario is now open with working Presto readers.

There is no heat in the overhead walkway and can feel the breeze blowing in. Caught a westbound CP train, and was prepared for it.

A GO train departed before the CP train and close to 2 dozen riders got off.

What happen to bays 1-3??
If the numbering system is the same as Oshawa Station, all platforms are treated the same, either bus or rail. At Oshawa, platforms 1& 2 are GO Train platforms, 3,4 &5 are VIA Rail platforms and 6-16 are Bus platforms.
I believe Union is the same whereas the lower number platforms are rail, and bus platforms start in the 20s. Bays 1-3 at Cooksville I assume are rail platforms (both existing and future)

Back