Toronto Glasshouse Lofts | ?m | 12s | Glass House Development | Karl Fischer

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
You guys can complain about anything.

The render was done using probably 3Dmax, and they didn't add a material to the parti wall. I guarantee not one person will stop to admire this building and say to themselves, "Oh that's horrendous. Concrete Block."

Get over it, it's a block wall.

The render was done using probably 3Dmax, and they didn't add a material to the parti wall. I guarantee not one person will stop to admire this building and say to themselves, "Oh that's horrendous. Concrete Block."

You are kidding, right?

Thankfully, there are a lot of people in this city have an aesthetic eye and care about the physical appearance of the city's surrounding and objects. This board happens to have just a few of them. Which begs the question, why are you reading and posting on this board if the city's appearance does not matter to you?

The general contractor was probably given two options. They went with the cheapest of the two, especially if it meant saving something else. They probably evaluated which trades were already on site, and increased the scope of the mason to finish the area in question. There is no reason to bring in another trade foreign to the job to do something so insignificant. I guarantee they didn't think of a rendering that was produced two years ago in the selection process of the material used.
This happens all the time. Look at all the Georgian wired glass. That was probably a laminated glass at some point, but it was deemed to expensive. I could name off hundreds of these so called things, because it's called value engineering. Every project goes through it.

If the rendering was issued 3 feet to the left, or was faded, we wouldn't be having this stupid argument, because you wouldn't see anything.

Oh, and just because I don't comment every day doesn't mean that I'm not familiar or have a keen eye for city building.

The render was done using probably 3Dmax, and they didn't add a material to the parti wall.

Yet they took the time to add brick texture to the neighbouring heritage buildings.

Look, the sides of this building will be panel-clad; I guarantee it. I'm not just basing that on the renders. Look at the edges of the aluminum panels on the face of the building. They aren't going to be left like that. They are so very clearly not finished with the sides yet.

And don't think the complaints will stop once the sides are covered up. There are few fans of panel cladding here.

Which begs the question, why are you reading and posting on this board if the city's appearance does not matter to you?

Dexter's comment was about the complaining by some folks about a wall. you cannot infer this means a disregard for a city's appearance.

Dexter's comment was about the complaining by some folks about a wall. you cannot infer this means a disregard for a city's appearance.

Why? Isn't the city's appearance made up of its structures (i.e. walls)?

An ugly 12 storey high wall on a major thoroughfare is not significant enough to complain about?

I'm sure we'll be seeing pre-cast soon enough to cover up the mish mash of blocks.

March 13

IMG_03-13-09-0147.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0151.jpg

She going to blow
IMG_03-13-09-0152.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0156.jpg

Well, I guess that answered our question if that was concrete block or an ugly cladding. :eek:

I'm certain this will merely be an unseen layer beneath the final cladding they'll cover the east and west walls with. It's pretty obvious from ProjectEnd's photos on the previous page where the window panels and aluminum meet the side that they aren't leaving these "blocks" uncovered.

Last edited:

Back