Toronto Glasshouse Lofts | ?m | 12s | Glass House Development | Karl Fischer

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
7 November 2008 photo update

Driving along Queen Street East today I was struck by these thoughts: Glasshouse is the perfect archetype for Toronto's "avenues" plan, the perfect streetwall, and the perfect building mass to erect behind Toronto's Victorian facades.

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

Ps: I missed the perfect shot.:)

My biggest problem with it is the side walls. I assume they will remain as is and as such a real blight until they develop the lot to the east. The other side will be even worse as there will be no new development on that side.

Agreed, but otherwise I like it. Nice massing, just the right height. Despite a few shortcomings, an overall success, no?

I would not be surprised if the exposed sides were clad with some cheap stucco or something. That unfinished look really cheapens the building (and thus not great for the worth of the units).

Isn't the building constructed of poured concrete?
Then why would they use concrete blocks on the exterior walls unless that's the effect they're going for?

I took a closer look at these 'blocks', they don't appear to be more than a shim of concrete with polystyrene insulated backing, I think they were looking on this as the finished, er.... finish.

I took a closer look at these 'blocks', they don't appear to be more than a shim of concrete with polystyrene insulated backing, I think they were looking on this as the finished, er.... finish.

It's really unfortunate but IMO that 'block' finish makes the building seem cheap in this set of pictures.

Does the appearance improve when closer ???

It only looks OK from across Queen Street when you look at it straight on. And that happens to be the least accessible view.

Can we yet confirm that the cinder blocks will not be covered up? The renders depict that larger panels will be placed over the unfinished wall. Renders often lie though.

I highly doubt it unless paint counts. As someone already mentioned, they aren't structural and appear to be a part of the finish.

I don't mind the industrial feel to it, as well as the randomness to the tones of the blocks. This may be a result of the picture though. Oh well I'm sure there will be a billboard there before long.

Back