Toronto Gibson Square Condominiums | 137.46m | 42s | Menkes | Rafael + Bigauskas

So I had posted a negative comment about Aroma before that I'm assuming was removed by the moderator. Just curious why a positive comment about one of the retail tenants is ok, but a negative comment gets removed? (I said I disliked Aroma because they are an Israeli company that operates in an illegal Israeli settlement on Palestinian territory and that they've been targeted by an international campaign to boycott companies that support Israeli Apartheid ). Their Bloor street location has had several demonstrations in front of it. I'd think this would be relevant????
So, you're new to UT, and you start off by posting a politically sensitive comment?
mods, feel free to show this clown the door.

not a mod, but I'm guessing because its politically sensitive and they don't want a huge flaming war over isreal popping up in a thread about a north york highrise.

Understandable.....buyers in the condo probably also don't want demos popping up outside (doubt 3 brewers does either).......anyways I thought it was relevant, but if the mod explains to me that it's contravening a UT policy I'll leave it at that....

Not really new, just don't post often.....been a member for a long time. I contribute when I feel I have something to add that probably wouldn't be added by others....

not a mod, but I'm guessing because its politically sensitive and they don't want a huge flaming war over isreal popping up in a thread about a north york highrise.

Yes, that was the reason. The politics are too touchy and it will go way off topic here.

(For the record, I consider myself to be sympathetic to the Palestinian side, but this isn't the place for that debate, so I've deleted it. I think debate on Israeli settlement policies are ok if civil and respectful of other opinions and doesn't devolve into attacks and hate. But it certainly doesn't belong here. Please feel free to start or join a civil debate in Politics and Diplomacy, or if about Aroma specifically perhaps General Discussions or Retail where it will be easier to police.)

Last edited:
It is great to see a new pub and coffee shop in the area. Both 3 brewers and Aroma will be great additions to the neighbourhood. They have pretty decent coffee and great food for lunch. Both of these will be popular and will add some nightlife to the neighbourhood.

I'm looking forward to seeing the top completed. Those arched slabs with massive framing look bold and monumental in the renderings. If they get powerful architectural lighting, they'll look impressive at night as well.

Really? I find them to be an anachronistic throwback to a time (circa 2002) when Toronto condos had little more to offer than tacky, decorative 'roof elements' (not that we've moved significantly on from that era, mind you).

Really? I find them to be an anachronistic throwback to a time (circa 2002) when Toronto condos had little more to offer than tacky, decorative 'roof elements' (not that we've moved significantly on from that era, mind you).

I haven't seen many tacky roof elements. It's just a feature that resolves the design. 18 Yorkville and NXT look great with their tops. It's true that beyond these roof elements, many new condos still don't have anything else to offer in terms of architecture. But I'll enjoy an interesting feature where I see one.

If it's a choice between bland building with decorative roof, and bland building with a flat roof, I'll happily take a decorative roof element at this point.

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll see the roofline soon. These things have been flat topped for a while, and with 2 of them being quite bulky, it's got a weird effect on the skyline...

Taken yesterday:

12075938186_56278d379b_c.jpg

12075574673_04582a277d_c.jpg

and then today:

12075885766_792b422617_c.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

Photo taken January 27th, 2014. There has not been a lot of change in the last month or so. Im assuming it has to do with holidays and the weather we have been getting. One thing to notice tho is the top 2 floors of finished windows. There seems to be a variance from the original design in the center of the tower. Seems like the balcony's have become half size. Looks a bit odd to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 682
Taken today:

I see some curved framework for a concrete slab on the roof, however, it doesn't look very dramatic and is a very subtle curve. Perhaps the renders overemphasized their effect? Either that, or what I'm seeing is not what I think I'm seeing:

12762240465_c342597350_c.jpg

12762602734_aae30b9a73_c.jpg

12762345133_7678af97e7_b.jpg

12762786844_378454d2cf_c.jpg

12762757384_bf388a815e_c.jpg

12762418623_c2eda17490_c.jpg

Last night I was crossing Yonge at Empress and admiring these towers in the darkness. They will look great once everything is lit up and the retail/restaurants are in full swing. Should really liven that corner up. I think occupancy for residents is currently scheduled for June-July.

Back