Toronto Gibson Square Condominiums | 137.46m | 42s | Menkes | Rafael + Bigauskas

What do you guys expect! This is North York! Please show me one attractive building north of the 401 along Yonge Strreet.

It's a new low mainly for reasons other than simple aesthetics, though your comment suggests you don't care about anything other than postcard shots or skyline views.

What do you guys expect! This is North York! Please show me one attractive building north of the 401 along Yonge Strreet.

In my view, there are in fact several attractive buildings in NYCC, including:
  • Triomphe 1+2 (Tridel)
  • Dia Condominiums (TAS)
  • Symphony Square + Sonata Condominiums (Ghods)
  • Meridian Residences(Tridel)
  • Spectrum 1+2 (Menkes)

I wish developers were more concerned with the street presence than tacking on some hidious wing to make their project "unique"

In my view, there are in fact several attractive buildings in NYCC, including:
  • Triomphe 1+2 (Tridel)
  • Dia Condominiums (TAS)
  • Symphony Square + Sonata Condominiums (Ghods)
  • Meridian Residences(Tridel)
  • Spectrum 1+2 (Menkes)

Dia, ok, maybe. Other than that the Nestle building.

I've always been partial to the Nestle Canada Building myself, and 5140 Yonge on Yonge north of the 401. The tower element on the latter is clad in stone.

Actually, most of the high-rises are attractive along Yonge, but those are the outstanding ones.

One thing which I don't understand along Yonge in NYCC is why there such an ad hoc look to the streetscape improvements. There's the wonderful landscaped median with nicely growing trees by Mel Lastman Square and beyond which was done well, but then there are sections with overhead wires and dull sidewalks mixed in with improvements like the median. Did North York implement every improvement based off development money, resulting in that patchwork look? Why weren't all the overhead wires buried with the construction of the subway? It's a shame because with all the density, variety of architecture and the streetscape projects like the median, and Mel Lastman Square, it could be a beautiful area, but then there are plenty of small sections of aesthetic neglect along Yonge which really cheapens the effect of the improvements.

In addition to some of the mentioned buildings, the school board building is great, but until the grounds around it are relandscaped, it'll stay looking like it belongs on a 60s/70s-era university campus. The two Minto Gardens towers are pleasantly surprising. Emerald Park could set a new high for the area, but it may never get built.

One thing which I don't understand along Yonge in NYCC is why there such an ad hoc look to the streetscape improvements. There's the wonderful landscaped median with nicely growing trees by Mel Lastman Square and beyond which was done well, but then there are sections with overhead wires and dull sidewalks mixed in with improvements like the median. Did North York implement every improvement based off development money, resulting in that patchwork look? Why weren't all the overhead wires buried with the construction of the subway? It's a shame because with all the density, variety of architecture and the streetscape projects like the median, and Mel Lastman Square, it could be a beautiful area, but then there are plenty of small sections of aesthetic neglect along Yonge which really cheapens the effect of the improvements.

The streetscaping has been done mostly with development dollars, which is why it's patchwork. The few sites/blocks that seem neglected are waiting for development (examples include the two west corners of Yonge & Sheppard, the NW corner of Yonge & Empress, and the west side of Yonge between Park Home and Ellerslie), though if the OMB keeps de-rejecting condo approvals, these sites will fill up fast and leave office towers and institutions and so on out in the cold, which would be a long-term negative for the Yonge streetscape. Basically everything along Yonge was built after the subway went in..."downtown" North York is really a post-subway creation. The landscaped medians are not yet a continuous feature because they block left turns on and off of Yonge - and until the service roads are complete these turning movements are necessary.

Am I reading the site plan correctly, but it looks as if they will be putting the garage for the buildings underneath the park instead of under the buildings, or at least the ramp will be. That would require them ripping up all the trees and vegetation in the existing park to build this, and replacing the mature trees with little stick baby trees. That would be outright AWFUL!!!

That's partly correct - they won't be putting a garage under the western portion of the park (too far from the buildings) nor the "Rose Garden" (little patch of greenery) at the north-west corner of Yonge & Park Home - so the more mature trees here would stay.

The travesty is putting the parking ramp in the middle of the park. Based on community feedback, the developer had moved this ramp to a less conspicuous location in the north-east corner of the new park but the Gibson House people complained so it was moved back to the middle of the park - shame on them for doing this.

I must say, aside from forcing residential use down the city's throats (thru the OMB), the Menkes people did a fantastic job of collaborating with the community (I attended all the meeting) on this project. Too bad this isn't more common.

that underground parking ramp is certainly pretty far away from the condo towers, thereby creating a pretty long rectangular shaped garage ... it must suck for residents who are stuck with the parking spaces at the western end of the garage, it would be quite a walk back to the tower elevator lobbies everyday ~

City Planning Final Report

To be considered by North York Community Council on March 9, 2010:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-27578.pdf

Herein contains an underground parking garage plan as well (will be quite a walk for some residents :p) :
GibsonSquare_P1.jpg

Talked to my agent regarding sales.
Both towers are 80% sold.
Still no date for construction.

Time for new renders:

THe nighttime view of world's largest torchères:

GibsonSqNight750.jpg

Daytime, lobby and mezzanine (is that a Chihuly?):

GibsonSqLobby750.jpg

Time for a schwim:

GibsonSqPool750.jpg

An evening on the terrace:

GibsonSqTerraceNight750.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Gibson Square Residences Inc. sale to **********
Suite **** - Notice of Formal Zoning Approval

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In accordance with your Agreement of Purchase and Sale and the Tarion Addendum to Agreement of Purchase and Sale, we are required to provide you with notice within 10 days after the date that Formal Zoning Approval for the Building has been obtained. We are pleased to confirm that the Zoning By-Law was passed and finalized on September 28, 2010.

With final zoning now in place, we are moving forward with our building permit applications and look forward to starting construction in the coming months. We will notify you once construction on Gibson Square begins.

We understand that keeping you informed on the progress of your new home is important and we are committed to providing you with updates as we progress. We look forward to corresponding with you regularly and thank you for having chosen Menkes Developments Ltd. as your new home builder. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us at (416) 730-9722.

Sincerely,

GIBSON SQUARE RESIDENCES INC.

Got this email from Menkes few days ago. Thought i should share :)

Finally!!!!!!! Its going to start soon!!!!

Please Join Us for the Official Ground Breaking Ceremony of Gibson square.

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Remarks and Special Presentation at 7:00 p.m.

Novotel Hotel, Gibson Ballroom
3 Park Home Avenue, off Yonge Street south of Finch Avenue
North York
Complimentary underground parking available

Hors d'oeuvres and cocktails serverd

Please R.S.V.P by Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010.

Last edited:

Back