Toronto Garrison Crossing (was Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge) | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Pedelta

This really pisses me off.. :mad:
It's a good thing we have a mayor who doesn't give a damn about the actual city..

Why isn't this federally funded at all? It's significant to the history of Canada, it should be treated as such.

Could you imagine if this sort of thing happened at Gettysburg for the bicentennial?? Except it wouldn't happen because the US is much more patriotic and supportive of it's history than we are.

Thanks a lot Etobicoke, Scarborough and North York!

^ Thank you. A complete list of councillors from who's wards projects will be considered gravy and must be cancelled, regardless of importance and previously invested money and work.

Let's start with Mammoliti's flag pole. Please cancel that city council. A $10M flag pole is definitely gravy.

The city could've saved a lot of money if the bridge was built and naming rights were sold for it. I don't care if it's called the 'Tim Horton's Bridge', nobody is going to call it that anyway.

The money saved from this bridge can go straight to the TPS slush fund for paying cops double time to stand around construction sites. Doesn't that make everyone feel better?

So, just in case it's not abundantly clear to everyone by now, this is how it works:

Beautiful infrastructure that increases the value of surrounding land and enhances Toronto's overall image = gravy.
Cops eating donuts next to a manhole = money well spent.

I'm so relieved that tag-team Ford has the city's best interests at heart.

Is it just me or is Ford INCREASING wasteful spending??

Cops get a huge raise in pay, a fully planned and funded transit plan gets scrapped for one that costs more and serves less..

I just want this audit to reveal something that can get this buffoon and his brother booted out of City Hall.

It all boils down to the definition of wasteful apparently, i.e., what Rob doesn't like = wasteful. What Rob likes = important.

This really does mark the end of the previous council's waterfront regeneration plans: seriously it's game over, folks. Soon the fire sale of city-owned land will begin, and the doors will be thrown open to big box stores, surface parking lots and NFL-sized stadia.

Is there anyone out there who still thinks that the FY Visitor Centre is going to be built? Queen's Quay? Waterfront East streetcars? A Toronto museum?

And to anyone who thinks we just have to bide our time for another 36 months, wake up: we may be stuck with Boss Hogg for another 7 1/2 years.

To be honest, if the redevelopment of the waterfront goes into private hands, I actually do hope that big box stores (which can easily be replaced at a better time) get built instead of Pinnacle/CityPlace-styled developments (which are stuck with us forever).

Last edited:
Nfitz, rather than needle you a little over this, I'm just going to ask for your point of view: you're the guy who's essentially said that $23 million pedestrian bridges are unreasonable wastes of money.
I've said no such thing! I simply questioned it. Is one not allowed to question an expenditure without having words put in ones mouth?

Looking at the plans, I'm even more concerned. Not providing connectivity to the Ordnance street triangle parkland seems very short-sited. There seems to be a design failure here.

To be honest, if the redevelopment of the waterfront goes into private hands, I actually do hope that big box stores (which can easily be replaced at a better time) get built instead of Pinnacle/CityPlace-styled developments (which are stuck with us forever).

And what do you think is going to replace the big box stores in the future? Should we just give up the plans for the Waterfront, in effect wasting the millions of dollars already spent on years of planning, for the sole reason of hoping better development materializes in 20 or so years?

Mike Layton sent out an email saying that he's going to talk to Doug Ford about what he said that "we will build this bridge". With 6 weeks to go, I hold almost no hope for this but you never know.

What's really a slap in the face is that the over budget price of $4M is going to seem like nothing in 5 years when they can start planning to build this again. The $2M spent already will have been lost and no doubt, even the cheapest option is going to be more than the remaining $2M with inflation.

This leads one to conclude that they don't plan on ever building this bridge.

I just got back from biking down to the water and it was indeed very convoluted to stay within a more or less safe cycling environment. I live behind Stanley Park where the bridge was supposed to be built. I rode down Strachan for as little as possible staying on the sidewalk, then picked up my bike and took the steps down to Fort York. Once there, there's a network of highway on ramps that makes it equally difficult to get to the water. Lakeshore is another barrier.

This made it clear that the cost of this project is only partially for the bridge. The path leading to the lake is quite an elaborate piece of work.

It's unfortunate but I think this is the beginning of the end of the waterfront. I imagine that they'll pull the same stunt to cancel the Queens Quay redevelopment and there's no way they'll build the bridges or the remaining wavedecks.

I'd suggest it's only the beginning of the end if they stoop to driving Harbourfront Centre under, programming and all...

Toronto, we need an UPRISING! Egypt or Libya style. If you gave Ford absolute power I bet he'd be worse than Gaddafi. He's already reinforcing his allies in the police force. We need to kick his fat arse to the curb.

^ Oh you bet we'll get one... And you'll be surprised who's going to be in that uprising. When the 2012 budget is being considered and it comes out all that Ford will be cutting, Ford's own supporters are going to get a rude awakening.

I've said no such thing! I simply questioned it. Is one not allowed to question an expenditure without having words put in ones mouth?

Oh dear. I actually wanted to hear your point of view since $25 mil for landmark pedestrian bridges was revealed to be the going rate.

And to correct an inaccuracy on your part, you did essentially state this. You originally referred to the cost as "the elephant in the room" in clear disapproval. You did not pose any questions of any kind. In fact, you elaborated on your "elephant in the room" point much more emphatically when stating:

I wouldn't think a project like this should cost 1/2 of what such a major project like the Millennium bridge cost. 1/10 maybe ... There must be cheaper solutions that do the job.

So no, you weren't "questioning an expenditure", but taking a clear and unequivocal position against its amount. You were essentially saying that $23 million pedestrian bridges were unreasonable wastes of money.

The question I'm trying to get at is whether or not you're still of this view.

Last edited:
^ Oh you bet we'll get one... And you'll be surprised who's going to be in that uprising. When the 2012 budget is being considered and it comes out all that Ford will be cutting, Ford's own supporters are going to get a rude awakening.

This all reminds me Uprising, shown is what is left of TO after 3 1/2 years of the Fords. Bob and Doug appear toward the end.

Back