Toronto Freed Hotel & Residences | 219m | 63s | Freed | AS + GG

I don't like the base. The mullions producing the subtle zig zag pattern could be quite nice. It's a glass pointy top. The tower surrounded by boxes is the only thing worth mentioning about the crown

I'll guess Raffles followed by Sofitel. Fairmont would be disappointing. The firm Freed hired is owned by Accor.

Just another way of saying this tower will be clad in 50 shades of gray spandrels? Or that it's your perfect love nest?

freed.jpg

I don’t get what the bitchin’ is about. This is a cool project. I hope it happens as presented here.

I just wish it was somewhere else as we already have nice buildings in this area like 19 Duncan and Gehry Towers going up. I wish it was close to the Skydome or something to help block out some of hideous condos.

Last edited:
Freed is supposed to be a pretty crap developer so these renders could get VE'ed to hell in real life. Unless they're planning a signature/portfolio building?

First off; @Rascacielo gets bonus points for the post above. That made me laugh.

Second, I'll split the different on this render, and on Freed's past.

I think he's shown hints of design-consciousness that are laudable..........while at the same time suffering many an execution difficulty.

This particular proposal to me, feels a bit like a mash of 160 Front and 19 Duncan and not quiet as good as either one in the end; even if it turns out like the nicest render.

The tower is somewhere between inoffensive and good, entirely dependent on execution, which does make one worry a bit.........

I'm entirely in agreement with @maestro on the base. It's just not right.........it's not horrific, but, it's wrong.

This particular proposal to me, feels a bit like a mash of 160 Front and 19 Duncan and not quiet as good as either one in the end; even if it turns out like the nicest render.
It doesn't really look like either, but its own thing, IMO. I think the fins are a bit much and unnecessary is my only real quibble with this.

I can't vouch for the history of the developer as I really don't know much about them. But I do hope they can least listen to their architects and the engineers when it comes to best execution and materials...

...because I think this would be a very unique tower to appreciate if they do so. Or tl,dr: Don't eff this up, Freed?

The building is fairly boring (pyramid topper notwithstanding).

I am not wowed by what I understand of how it meets the ground, or its street presence. That’s far more worrying, and important from a city-building perspective.

Freed is supposed to be a pretty crap developer so these renders could get VE'ed to hell in real life. Unless they're planning a signature/portfolio building?
It would be bizarre if they we're planning to cheap out on a hotel with their name on it but you never know from the renders.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm feeling a tad sentimental about seeing the demise of Crocodile Rock. It was a bit of a dump, but it reminds me of when I first moved to Canada almost 20 years ago. My first job was just down the street. I hope the giant bottle of Corona that was the roof gets "repurposed". :)

So, there was an event here on Saturday, March 2 to launch the development. I gots ta say... the model looks good. If the lighting works as well on the building as it does on the model (it's only a model!), then this is a major boon for this corner.

First off, the former Crocodile Rock building is now unrocognizable…

IMG_2104.jpeg

…while inside it's clubland:

IMG_2082.jpeg
IMG_2083.jpeg
IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

That's a side shot of the artist Takashi Murakami above, wearing a flower hat. I have some pics with him face-on from the evening, but the lighting was terrible, 98% of it coming from the model behind us, so, I'm not posting one of those.

IMG_2086.jpeg
IMG_2087.jpeg
IMG_2091.jpeg
IMG_2096.jpeg
IMG_2098.jpeg

The lighting does look very promising on the model.

So, there was an event here on Saturday, March 2 to launch the development. I gots ta say... the model looks good. If the lighting works as well on the building as it does on the model (it's only a model!), then this is a major boon for this corner.

First off, the former Crocodile Rock building is now unrocognizable…

View attachment 545445

…while inside it's clubland:

View attachment 545436View attachment 545437View attachment 545438
View attachment 545442

That's a side shot of the artist Takashi Murakami above, wearing a flower hat. I have some pics with him face-on from the evening, but the lighting was terrible, 98% of it coming from the model behind us, so, I'm not posting one of those.

View attachment 545439View attachment 545440View attachment 545441View attachment 545443View attachment 545444

The lighting does look very promising on the model.

Back