Toronto Four Eleven King Condominiums | 149.04m | 45s | Great Gulf | KPMB

Can someone clarify these projects well?

Is 57 Spadina different from 401-415 King West, and are both projects from same developer or separately being done?

Thanks

^Yes, they are separate development proposals by different developers and architects but they were included together in a public meeting/presentation because they have some common planning issues, like laneways, heights, setbacks, etc., as they are neighbouring properties. drum118 took some great shots of the recent presentation above.

57 Spadina (located immediately south of 401-415 King West) is in a different thread. A front page story was posted yesterday explaining the two developments.

Hope that helps :)

^Yes, they are separate development proposals by different developers and architects but they were included together in a public meeting/presentation because they have some common planning issues, like laneways, heights, setbacks, etc., as they are neighbouring properties. drum118 took some great shots of the recent presentation above.

57 Spadina (located immediately south of 401-415 King West) is in a different thread. A front page story was posted yesterday explaining the two developments.

Hope that helps :)

Oh yeaaah.... thanks a lot !!!

It may have been me who created the confusion, sorry! I got excited about the 57 Spadina building that I just heard about. It is two separate projects...and I like both of them. When you look at the LCBO property (this site) and the Winners property @ a major intersection of TO, you have to ask yourself is this really a good use of the land? I think the two proposed developments will add a lot to the corner and bring a lot more density where it makes the most sense.

Greenland Holding Group

I noticed this article in today's Wall Street Journal. The article doesn't give any indication on where the site is. The article mentions:

Chinese state-owned developer Greenland Holding Group plans to invest 400 million Canadian dollars ($360 million) in a property project in Canada, indicating it remained confident that it could sell homes in the country despite Ottawa's recent move to tighten an immigration program.

Shanghai-based Greenland, which is the most outbound-oriented developer in China, said in a statement it will build residential apartments in a twin tower project in downtown Toronto. The project has a gross floor area of 67,000 square meters and a site area of 3,855 square meters. The developer said it plans to start construction within six months. It didn't say when the project would be completed.

And this article mentions:

Zhang's announcement followed the company's recent acquisition of a real estate project in Canada. The project, located in the core area of Toronto, covers an area of 3,855 square meters. With a total investment exceeding 2.2 billion yuan, the project will begin construction within six months, according to the company's statement.

Would anyone know if this is the same property? This would be Greenland's first foray into Canada. Greenland is one of the largest Chinese developers and recently invested in the New York City Atlantic Yards.

This site isn't that large, seems to be roughly 2,500 square meters. you now have me puzzled however.

edit: just looked up the square footage and this is 34,000 square meters. Whatever they are developing, it is huge. The only possible candidates I can think of is King Blue which the previous developer sold due to less than stellar sales or the double tower proposal on the TPA parking lot in Yorkville. That second one doesn't have approvals yet though so idk. This is puzzling me more than it should.

Double edit: looked up King Blue square footage, 66,937 square meters. I think we have our project. Did Eastons group sell the project and flee to the (apparently) much more successful Dundas Square Gardens? Lot square footage seems roughly equal as well after a quick measurement with google maps.

Last edited:
I know King Blue did a big sell off earlier this year chopping up 750 sq ft 1 bed + dens into 300 sq ft studios and 400 sq ft tiny one bedroom plans, they sold 100 units this way. I don't know where that took them to terms of % sold, but yeah this and Tux had some pretty poor timing when they were launched

A complete redesign of this building is now before the Design Review Panel. Terracap has brought in Deltera (Tridel) as a development partner, and Core have been replaced by Teeple as design architect, Kirkor as architect of record, and Goldsmith Borgal as heritage consultants.

The two towers of 20 and 37 storeys are now proposed as one tapering tower at, I think, 55 storeys with more separation between it and 57 Spadina to the south. City Planning is not happy with the height. No idea where this will go exactly.

Yes, the ask here is for 187.38 metres/615 feet, 55 storeys plus mechanical penthouse.

The DRP seems to be pretty torn over liking the sculpted Teeple form and materials, but not being able to support the height not density here, which is what the applicants are going to hear from the planners anyway.

Working on images.

.Well if city planners don't like the height here (55s/187m), they sure will not be liking the height of the two (58s+60s) towers planned just south of this,
..and again the other two (75s+64s), just a block south @ CityPlace :eek:

Hmm I think this is a different place, in a sense. Like CityPlace is basically separate from surrounding neighbourhoods in terms of its planning and I do think there's an argument to be made about taller buildings on both the Globe and Mail lands and the parcel that's looking to be developed across the street (if I remember correctly, the tallest buildings are for Front, not Spadina too). As well, the building in question was originally expected to match the surrounding midrises and factory buildings so I see the concerns planners have. Unlike the CityPlace buildings and even the Front and Spadina towers, a 55 storey building here would be a much bigger deal because it opens up greater heights and densities both to the east in the Entertainment District (which is probably going to change due to the Mirvish-Gehry towers) but also to the west since the King-Spadina plans seem to be more connected to the King midrises than it is the Entertainment District skyscrapers. Obviously whether that's appropriate or not is highly subjective on this forum but I can see where city planners might be getting worried since this would be the 3rd major revision to planning policies in this area (after Festival Tower and Mirvish-Gehry). For better or worse their job is to work within what parameters they're given and those parameters shifting so much and so rapidly in less than 10 years isn't exactly ideal for them.

Can't wait to see images. I got so excited finding out Teeple is involved. They have definitely become my favourite.

55 stories is not that crazy here. Everything is the same height at the moment. That will change, might as well be something interesting. King and Spadina is a major intersection makes sense to have a peak there.

There is not a chance that the City will agree to 55 storeys here, and it's not certain that the OMB would either. Lop around 20 storeys off, and the City will be happier.

Back