Toronto Four Eleven King Condominiums | 149.04m | 45s | Great Gulf | KPMB

Terracap is making noise that they won't be starting soon. That's what they are saying now. For all we know, they'll flip the land and a whole new proposal will come forward after that.

There are some problems with the layout and functionality of the podium, and there may be an effort to add commercial office space to that part of the building. That also might take some time.

Overall, it is an improvement to the earlier plan. The exception being (in my opinion) the sad stick-on treatment of the facade.

I like the proposal for the new building a lot, it would greatly improve the intersection. Don't like the integration (or lack) of the older building, it doesn't look like the old belongs at all, just kind of pasted onto the front. It would look much better with either portion remaining complete rather than a weird combination.

Is it the fate of every old building downtown, to end up as a facade? It seems that is the best we can hope from the developers in this city. I am usually happy to see some ugly surface parking lot or vacant land get a new proposal only to get disappointed when the details come out showing that they've included the facade of an adjacent property with a nice older building on it. Examples such as this site, Front and Simcoe, Bay/Adelaide, Concourse Building, etc.

Regarding the question as to whether or not this site includes the lot immediately to the south of the LCBO - the Winners property at 57 Spadina (the answer has always been no) - Allied Properties has now purchased the Winners site: Press release from yesterday:

Toronto, March 15, 2012 -- Allied Properties REIT (TSX:AP.UN) announced today that it has entered into agreements to purchase the following portfolio of properties for $42 million:

Address Total GLA Office GLA Retail GLA Parking Spaces
57 Spadina Avenue 33,302 16,170 17,132 0 (the Winners site)
78 Spadina Avenue 0 0 0 45
80-82 Spadina Avenue 69,112 53,103 16,009 0
379 Adelaide Street West 36,125 36,125 0 0
383 Adelaide Street West 7,500 2,500 5,000 0
Total 146,039 107,898 38,141 45

Here's my prediction. It's obvious that Terracap are just flippers in this instance. They tried to distract us in the first proposal with the magic solar panels for balcony glass and now with this latest proposal, the Sky Lobby where all residents are forced to take an extra set of elevators to the third floor to get to their respective building elevators. NO ONE WOULD BUILD THIS.

So, the deep pockets of the Allied Reit will eventually buy this land, convert the Spadina tower into commercial space to maximize their Winners property, then partner with a condo developer for the east tower. If commercial is hot at the time, it may go all commercial.

Here's my prediction. It's obvious that Terracap are just flippers in this instance. They tried to distract us in the first proposal with the magic solar panels for balcony glass and now with this latest proposal, the Sky Lobby where all residents are forced to take an extra set of elevators to the third floor to get to their respective building elevators. NO ONE WOULD BUILD THIS.

So, the deep pockets of the Allied Reit will eventually buy this land, convert the Spadina tower into commercial space to maximize their Winners property, then partner with a condo developer for the east tower. If commercial is hot at the time, it may go all commercial.

veeeeery interesting theory.

The sky lobby/separate elevator/bike-storage-on-every-podium-floor plan is pretty awkward, but it's not an insurmountable problem. Changes can be made, and Adam Vaughan certainly wants changes, including office space in the podium above the retail.

What we've seen so far seems like much more work than necessary for a landlord merely wanting to flip.

I really do hope this one gets built. There are lots of projects in the current boom going up that I'd trade for this design in an instant.

Agreed, definitely one of the finest designs in the pipeline. Rather have this impressive project built ahead of duds like 88 Scott, 460 Yonge, King Blue, etc. I'd even trade in Trump for this.

I prefer the design of this development to Trump as well, even if it's a much smaller-scale project in many ways. Again, AG, you don't have to agree with Travis. We know how much value you place on height and scale, but for us, the design of this building sets a standard that is higher and more interesting than Trump.

I prefer the design of this development to Trump as well, even if it's a much smaller-scale project in many ways. Again, AG, you don't have to agree with Travis. We know how much value you place on height and scale, but for us, the design of this building sets a standard that is higher and more interesting than Trump.

Come-on, the only standards this sets is on the UT forum... internationally few couldn't care less about a couple pint size boxes.
..Gee, i cant even believe we are here comparing apples and oranges

Trump Toronto is internationally recognized to a very limited extent, and any recognition it gets is due to having the name TRUMP slapped on it and few reasons more.

Anyways, let's not let Trump derail this thread anymore. As for comparing apples and oranges... Travis simply stated HIS preference, you were the one who disagreed with his opinion.

I understand the importance of the Trump development over another mid-sized infill. However, my opinion was based purely on aesthetic preference and POV. Trump is significant, but its design is lackluster and execution is embarrassing imo. Anyways, it was just a casual statement, not a serious conversation tangent so lets just move on before it gets anymore off topic.

Last edited:
I understand the importance of the Trump development over another mid-sized infill. However, my opinion was based purely on aesthetic preference and POV. Trump is significant, but its design is lackluster and execution is embarrassing imo. Anyways, it was just a casual statement, not a serious conversation tangent so lets just move on before it gets anymore off topic.

Right-on, i agree....Travis keep up the good work.

The stubby second tower on this project is unnecessary. Cramming two towers onto this site is a stretch and makes for a lot of uncomfortably close windows between the two.

Back