Toronto Four Eleven King Condominiums | 149.04m | 45s | Great Gulf | KPMB

As the intersection of two major streets in the city that is served quite well by transit I think this corner could handle some higher density.

Higher density? The density is already very high. Charlie, Glas, Hudson, Charlotte, Victory, Quad, 393 King, M5V...

Higher density? The density is already very high. Charlie, Glas, Hudson, Charlotte, Victory, Quad, 393 King, M5V...

So it will fit right into the neighbourhood then... I thought some were saying that a high density tower was out of context with the area.

We were saying a physically high tower is out of context as building heights around here are mostly mid-rise. It's possible to fit over 200 units into a mid-rise building on a lot this size. It doesn't need to be a point tower.

Last edited:
hardly out of context if you are looking down king. I think ~30 stories would be fine and up to 40 shouldn't be a problem. You have victory across the street at 36 and M5V next door basically.

There's no need to go to 30 or even 40 storeys. The same amount of density can be had depending on how the podium is designed. As much as some people criticize the City's tapering poilcy towards building heights there are merits to it.

mckarisma, I believe you are referring to Charlie across the street (King) at 36 storeys. Victory is on the west side of Spadina at 12 storeys (I think, could be 13 or 14).

It should be a midrise building to fit in with Spadina's character. It would be nice to have some midrise downtown streets, instead either all low-rise, all high-rise or the messy look of 3 floor Victorians beside skyscrapers. All built forms have their merits, but midrise streetscapes tend to have grand look without the negative effects of skyscrapers like winds, shadows and huge service areas.

I'd like to see 25-30 storeys, right up to the street and something that fits in with the design character of Hudson across the street. Oh, and proper retail at ground level, not like that crappy space that Fresh is in across the street in the Hudson.

I was at the presentation for this project (401-415 King Street West). It does not include the property that houses the Winners.

The proposed tower is set to be 39 stories tall (126.5 metres) and contain 442 units. Core is the architectural firm. The project would include the facade of the brick heritage building fronting on King Street. The existing LCBO would be replaced with a two floor LCBO store at street level, and the first level of parking would be commercial. There would be four levels of residential parking beneath that.

Given the local area planning rules, this proposal will face a severe challenge with respect to the proposed height. The project will not be getting under way any time soon (years).

On a more contentious note, a suggestion was made that the developer is trying to get approval prior to the completion of the new King Spadina secondary plan study in order to flip the property (the land would be worth more with a greater height allowance).

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run (not so many meetings, bureaucracy etc) if they set a height cap for the Adelaide-Front-U-Spadina area at 40 floors? Then step down to 30s to Bathurst etc. If I were mayor....

(Looks like I was right re: proposed height, 2 level LCBO.:))

thx to urbandreamer for tipping urbanation's twitter page......among other articles, they also posted this today...

Short-lived LCBO? 39-storey condominium with 442 units planned for 401-415 King St W at the corner of Spadina Avenue. Commercial at grade.

I have no inside knowledge, but as mentioned here before, it's very difficult to see this one-storey development as the best use for this well-situated property. My guess is that the LCBO lease probably includes a "demolition clause" allowing the owner to get them out on, say, 90 days notice if the intention is to redevelop, maybe with a right of first refusal on the new space. I will find it surprising if the proposal for a high-rise does not actually go ahead, sooner than later.

Last edited:

Back