Toronto Four Eleven King Condominiums | 149.04m | 45s | Great Gulf | KPMB

A meeting has been scheduled regarding the proposed future development at 401 King St. W.

The location of the LCBO will be discussed regarding future development:

401 King St W is the site where the LCBO was just built at King and Spadina. As we know, that store was always intended to be temporary for about 7 years while the property owners waited for leases to expire. They are planning to come forward with a redevelopment proposal for a condominium with retail at grade, including the LCBO. This wouldn't be built for some time, but they want to get moving with the rezoning application now.

Here are the meeting details:

Wellington Place Community Planning Meeting

Date: Monday May 17, 2010
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.

Grey - are you planning to attend? Would you be interested in reporting back? Anyone else? We would appreciate any information of course!

I'm not sure if I'll be out of the office in time :(

If I do manage to attend, I'll be sure to take detailed notes!

That is good news, I didn't realize that was the idea all along, and thought just short sighted planning was going on here. That makes me happy! :)

I was thinking along the same lines. They may ask for somewhat higher, maybe 42-44 floors, as that seems to be becoming the standard for the new Entertainment District projects immediately to the southeast, but I am sure that the City will chop them down to 30-34 floors (their idiotic "skyline tapering" policy), so they go to the OMB and end up at 42 floors.

I was thinking along the same lines. They may ask for somewhat higher, maybe 42-44 floors, as that seems to be becoming the standard for the new Entertainment District projects immediately to the southeast, but I am sure that the City will chop them down to 30-34 floors (their idiotic "skyline tapering" policy), so they go to the OMB and end up at 42 floors.

I dont know about that, i dont see anything over 12-15 floors being built on Spadina ave.

Huge site when you think about it. Could probably fit 400 units in 20 to 25 storeys.

I dont know about that, i dont see anything over 12-15 floors being built on Spadina ave.

Why not? Lots of tall towers south on Spadina at Cityplace. Also the Festival Tower and the ones of similar height going up right next to it are all around 40 stories, and they aren't far either.
Things do seem to get substantially shorter once you go west of Spadina around King though (Victory, Fashion House, the various Wellington Street projects etc.) So it is a bit of a toss up.
I would love to see something great get built here though, it is an important corner if you ask me.

Why not? Lots of tall towers south on Spadina at Cityplace. Also the Festival Tower and the ones of similar height going up right next to it are all around 40 stories, and they aren't far either.
Spadina through Cityplace is entirely different and bares no relevance to Spadina at King. Clarence Square Park is also nearby, so shadowing needs to be taken into consideration.

marcus_a_j is correct. I think it will probably end up being around 20 stories like the Hudson and the ruby building in the next lot to the east.

I would love to see something great get built here though, it is an important corner if you ask me.
Something great, yes, but hopefully not super tall. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Shadowing on Clarence Square is not an issue for this site, but surrounding character is. Something related to the Hudson would make sense here, I think, as a gateway into downtown as one travels eastward on King.

Back