Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

What caught my eye in the article is this:

“I have no doubt that this is exactly what Great Gulf wanted. They spent seven months studying it. They’re going to get it going. They’re also going to explore some new things that will be nice.”

What new things, I wonder. Curved glazing?

AoD

Nice is good!
Nice, France? Yes it is!

Nice France.jpg

Attachments

• Nice France.jpg
    Nice France.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 463
More or less answered in Chris Hume's latest, which includes this quote from Chris Wein, president and CEO of Great Gulf:

“We will be taking over the two towers entirely,” he explains. “I’ve been working with David for the last 18 months. He’s a lovely man. He will be involved as a consultant. He wants to see his legacy fulfilled. We’ve developed a good relationship with Frank Gehry as well. We’re very excited to be working with one of the greatest architects of our time.”

http://torontostoreys.com/2017/10/mirvish-gehry-toronto/

Mirvish is also quoted as saying they spoke with about 50 interested groups from around the world.

Retaining Mirvish as a consultant doesn’t mean much if they intend to water down the design, despite the objections of their “consultant”. I really hope they have it in writing somewhere that this design isn’t to be significantly modified without the approval from Gehry and Mirvish.

My hopeful interpretation of their use of "nice" is "we're not going to cheapen the design by skimping on quality materials and design elements".

Great Gulf did a good job with One Bloor, the building looks beautiful. So I have high hopes for the Mirvish Towers. Let's just be thankful they didn't sell them to Menkes or Tridel or Canderel. They actually chose a decent company that has some great work in their portfolio.

I’m hopeful this will be a beautiful project. What would make it better would be to get the city to start building the DRL in parallel.

Great Gulf usually uses Ceconni Simone for their interiors, which I hope doesn’t happen here. This project deserves a much better and more bespoke/progressive interior designer appropriate to Gehry’s architecture.
The interiors of 1 Bloor should have been more polished and refined, as it looks over-done and overly-trendy, while the unit finishes/features are the typical rehash of past condo projects like Charlie.

I could see an international interior design firm bringing some forward-thinking sophistication to the interiors which we do not normally see in most condo projects here.

I could see an international interior design firm bringing some forward-thinking sophistication to the interiors which we do not normally see in most condo projects here.

Or if developers permitted local firms the budgets that they are willing to pay when they bring in the big names (international ones), then the local firms could do better and more sophisticated work in their projects.

You are seeing causality where it is in fact mere correlation. Toronto has a great design culture, and there are a number of other talented design firms across Canada. As a rule, this great design you speak of doesn't need to be imported. When a developer chooses to pay out the big bucks for the use (and marketability) of an international design name, they anticipate having to pay more for it and accept that. When a developer uses a local firm, they assume it to be a good reason to lower their own standards and pay a "Toronto budget". This results in the same-same we see in so many condo projects.

It's not about international vs. local. It's about talent, yes, and budget.

I'll bet there were significant conditions and provisions in the deal to protect the Mirvish legacy and his continued involvement.

Yeah ill bet, so Mirvish is still involved as a consultant but gets paid for the land that this development sits on,
He sold the Honest ED's land to Westbank,
hmm?$$, could we see him in a future development?

I am so glad that these tower will be built from a great developer.
I am relieved it was not sold to an incompetent developer.
But, i have a question for you guys.
If they plan to break ground on first quarter of 2019,when does the sales of the condos will start?
Thank you in advance for your answer.

Back