Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

It is about twice as tall as the TIFF building. It would likely be taller than that image - 304m vs 326m for the CN tower observation deck. The top of the building would be just below the horizon, especially since it sits on higher ground than the CN.

Agreed, it'll be somewhat taller than what's estimated in the pic.

Something occurred to me. Mirvish sold off this development to Great Gulf. That leaves him with the Princess of Whales theatre and the Eclipse White Wear building at King and John. While the Gehry towers gained approval by maintaining the theatre and old warehouse in place, the sale effectively separates the parcels.

Unless the warehouse and theatre were given heritage designation (which I don't think they were), I can see Mirvish eventually redeveloping the Princess of Whales theatre, maybe keeping it as a theatre to appease the city and building a tower on the corner of King and John. I can't imagine the OMB denying a tower at this corner given the density precedent set in the immediate area by Festival Tower, Mirvish and Theatre Park.

We have yet to hear what became of Mirvish's art gallery which was initially supposed to go atop the Eclipse White Wear building. Like I said back then when the gallery merely became a placeholder with the unveiling of the new design of these towers, I think the other shoe has yet to drop. Mirvish now has likely hundreds of millions of dollars from the sale of the Gehry development to play with. Stay tuned, I say...

I'd actually rather not have another tower on the remaining corner as I feel like the area might end up too dense.

I think putting some of that money towards a mid-rise Gehry-designed (or maybe he might want to switch it up?) Mirvish art gallery on the corner might be a better idea, since it'll add another cultural destination to the area.

Last edited:
Something occurred to me. Mirvish sold off this development to Great Gulf. That leaves him with the Princess of Whales theatre and the Eclipse White Wear building at King and John. While the Gehry towers gained approval by maintaining the theatre and old warehouse in place, the sale effectively separates the parcels.

Unless the warehouse and theatre were given heritage designation (which I don't think they were), I can see Mirvish eventually redeveloping the Princess of Whales theatre, maybe keeping it as a theatre to appease the city and building a tower on the corner of King and John. I can't imagine the OMB denying a tower at this corner given the density precedent set in the immediate area by Festival Tower, Mirvish and Theatre Park.

We have yet to hear what became of Mirvish's art gallery which was initially supposed to go atop the Eclipse White Wear building. Like I said back then when the gallery merely became a placeholder with the unveiling of the new design of these towers, I think the other shoe has yet to drop. Mirvish now has likely hundreds of millions of dollars from the sale of the Gehry development to play with. Stay tuned, I say...
Quick first note: Diana was not the princess of cetaceans, she was the Princess of Wales, a country in the United Kingdom.

Both the entire Princess of Wales Theatre (300 King West) and the entire Eclipse Whitewear building (322 King West)—not just their facades—are heritage designated, added in 2014 and 2010 respectively. It's pretty easy to look this kind of thing up: you just plug in the addresses on the City's heritage inventory page: http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/setup.do?action=init

Meanwhile, the Mirvish+Gehry project approvals are partly predicated on Section 37 benefits regarding the theatres and gallery which have been detailed in zoning bylaw amendments that were required for the development of the buildings. Also part of the Site Plan Approval process are conservation plans for the heritage buildings, drawn up by ERA and expected to soon be accepted by the City. The latest plans have the Mirvish Gallery going into the second floor of Eclipse Whitewear, BTW. You can look that up in the background files attached to the relevant addresses on the City Council item pages: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/findAge...c=on&includeDecision=on&word=322+King&Search=

Agreed, it'll be somewhat taller than what's estimated in the pic.

Feel like all in all my have been of 5-10m. Was tough to get the angles and heights to line up (or to find a nice reference point) with the angle of the render I shopped. Hoping at least it gives as a good guess of the massings from this view though.

Gave it another go - this should be more accurate me-thinks.
Gehry Towers.jpg

Original image: 2017-09-19-Toronto Downtown-34 by werner bayer, on Flickr

Attachments

• Gehry Towers.jpg
    Gehry Towers.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 828
Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought these towers would materialize but I'm actually excited to see them go up. Now that Great Gulf is in control things will be moving forward in a timely fashion.

Back