Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

If construction is starting in 2018, does this mean that construction financing has been lined up? If so, does this mean that 70% of the value of the units have already been reserved by nameless buyers?

I was told they plan to start construction next year on smaller parts of the project regardless. Sales will start in 2018 as well I was told and providing they sell briskly, Im sure the towers won't be far behind.

It’s always a good time - you should have seen what it was like during the big 6 cultural renaissance, or the early days of the condo boom.

AoD

There was a time when there was a serious concern on Urban Toronto that faux-historic architecture like Chicago or One Park Tower in Mississauga would become the dominant architectural style for new condos.

aA's Spire at 33 Lombard Street was very popular in the construction phase because it reflected a style "of our time". Now the term "faux historic" is rarely even mentioned anymore. The glass tower won the day.

Other notable early boom Wall of Shame inductees include NY Towers, French Quarter, and University Plaza.

Pantages Tower was another building which received mixed reviews, but I personally find it relatively decent. And who could forget One King West and the following seemingly endless Harry Stinson Sapphire Tower saga.

In terms of other game changers that have enhanced the greater urban landscape. Apart from the examples already mentioned, I would add the extensive Freed-ville work done by Core Architects. The Distillery District condos have also vastly contributed towards revitalizing that area.

Last edited:
To each their own. But IMO, One Saint Thomas is the main faux-historic building that turned out well. Although, of course we have to factor in the expanded budget for it being a high end development. The Uptown is alright as well. I've grown to accept that one more with time. RoCP was kind of a weird hybrid. They tried to blend in deco ideas in a somewhat modern way. But you know how it goes when Canderel and G+C team up together.

^Great Gulf's Morgan on Spadina comes to mind.

If I ever develop a property I'm sorry to say but it would definitely be "faux historic" in some sense. Definitely brick and warehouse-like.

In my youthful travelling days I recall being in a hostel in St. Petersburg and there being a young architect there at the time railing about how terrible the architecture was (which begs the question of why he was there in the first place). It was faux -faux. Faux when originally built, faux when re-built after the war. But the thing is few outside the design professions really cares. The faux-faux buildings, ornament and streetscapes there still connect and resonate with people in a way that most contemporary construction doesn't. It's not the signature or individual buildings that are the problem today, it's the properties that form the backdrops that are the meat and potatoes of the street that matter and are largely failures not just in this city but throughout the world. That is why in my opinion urban architecture is always at its best when the designers care most or are most constraint by the context of the property. Large urban developments tend to be terrible when observed in person on the ground in my opinion. They are terrible here, they are terrible in Europe, and they are terrible in Asia no matter how they try to sex them up in design magazine photos.

Our city has gone down the route of boxy glass towers and (while not my preferred built form) at least with a critical mass of these buildings making up the background of the city the architecture is improving in many cases in my opinion as designers start playing off and evolving these designs within the context of the site and the building's overall place in the landscape of boxy glass towers.

This project fits in nicely in this evolution in terms of the tower component I feel. Where it remains an open question to me is how well it works at street level.

Most certainly going to happen now.

For Immediate Release

GREAT GULF TO ACQUIRE MIRVISH GEHRY LANDMARK PROJECT IN TORONTO

Toronto, ON – October 2, 2017 – Great Gulf and Ed Mirvish Enterprises announced today that they have reached agreement on the sale to Great Gulf of the site of the proposed landmark Mirvish+Gehry project in the heart of Toronto’s downtown Entertainment District.

"I am pleased to have concluded a transaction with Great Gulf that will see the realization and fulfillment of my vision for Mirvish+Gehry Toronto,” said David Mirvish, President, Ed Mirvish Enterprises. “I am delighted to have completed the development process that allows Great Gulf to create a wonderful addition to the Toronto skyline. In Great Gulf we have selected a developer who is capable of executing Frank Gehry’s vision, and will work well with him to bring the project to realization. I believe the project will do honour to the history of the people in the city who built it to what it is today and will continue to project Toronto’s possibilities onto the world stage. Ed Mirvish Enterprises and Projectcore will move forward to support Great Gulf’s efforts throughout the process as they fulfill Gehry’s vision for Toronto."

The development on the site located at the intersection of King St. and Duncan St. will feature the tallest residential structures in Canada. The development will comprise 2 towers with 82 storeys in the East Tower and 92 in the West Tower anchored by a multi-level podium. The site is zoned for mixed use including retail, office, institutional, hospitality and condominium suites in the towers.

“We are very excited to add this signature project to our Great Gulf development portfolio. It will be Toronto’s first internationally acclaimed development from one of the world’s most celebrated architects, Frank Gehry,” said Great Gulf Homes President Christopher Wein. “It’s a magnificent development opportunity and aligns well with our vision to build iconic state-of-the-art developments. Toronto is truly a global city and this development will continue to build our reputation on the world stage. The entire team at Great Gulf is excited to work with Frank Gehry to realize the bold vision and legacy of David Mirvish.”

Back