Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

You would think so, but even allowing for all the extra-height floors, the "average" floor-to-floor height if this building were 270m in height would still be 2.95m, which is a very typical height in Toronto. So I do think that the current design (which is not necessarily the final design) has the west and central towers around 270-275 metres in total height, and the east tower around 260m.

Pity, so close, So much opportunity, and yet so far.

Let's hope the architect for one young street has more balls.

Has anyone seen or read a good explanation about what exactly the inspiration is for the exterior of the podium(s)? I've read every news article from all the major papers today and besides being evocative of "old Toronto" I don't have a clear idea what the podium is evocative of exactly?? I see lots of white strips. Is that suppose to represent snow somehow and our Canadian winters?

Gehry, like other starchitects, loves to post-rationalize his designs. Take Libeskind for example, and his description of the ROM as being inspired by the museum's crystal collection, even though just about every other recent design he'd created was also crystalline in shape.

Most of the public seems to see it as just another collection of condos - they're ignoring all the other components.

Remember all of the other components at the base of the L Tower? At least that project was beside the theatre, not instead of it.

If you can't afford a sixteen-fold increase in maintenance costs you don't live there. Simple. ;)

If you can't afford a sixteen-fold increase in maintenance costs you don't live there. Simple. ;)

I get you are making a joke...but there is an element of truth to it and you have to wonder if there are another 2,600 people waiting to buy condos with a grand a foot buy in and somewhat limitless maint. fees?

The market will tell.....but I hate to think they get part way through this and can't/don't complete it. Love or hate the current, preliminary, renderings but I think there is a recognition that what they are trying to achieve is dependant on it all being delivered.

Big Daddy,

Yes, hiring Gehry to design 3 towers in the 80s range is lacking in "balls". Time to get the testostrone levels checked.

UD,

No offense, but I have a feeling you'd be seeing the need to replace the window walls of certain idolized local architects in the same period of time. As to the trash bit...well, I will let certain sketches in parts of the forum to speak for itself.

Bgobgo:

That's a typical way for Gehry to depict his signature elements i believe. As to what it meant, who knows.

A more 'personal' view of it all from the Globe:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/t...ronto-landmark/article4580580/?service=mobile

AoD

Last edited:
This is as exciting as it gets. Gehry's work is not for everyone, but I don't think anyone could disagree with the huge win this is for the city's profile on the world stage. I hate using the pointless term "world-class", but those of you seeking this enigmatic status will be getting something very special here. Not to mention the boost this will give the revitalized John Street corridor.

The current crop of cloned buildings going up by certain local architects is getting tired. Toronto just took a giant leap forwards.

Last edited:
We now begin the 18 to 24 month approval process. If all goes well by this time in 2014, we will have a finalized product that hopefully maintains the heights and mammoth seen here today and can officially break ground. If they find a way to sell this thing to the public then once they start breaking ground in 2014, it's conceivable that the first building could be ready for move in by early 2017.

I think the main concern with council will be

a) the commercial part of this project, they will want plenty of retailers and entertainment for the public to go along with the condos.

b) the location is quite close to the CN Tower and with the 85 storey height, actually competes with the CN Tower and takes away from the aw of it. Given that CN is the vocal point of the skyline, stuffing 3 massive 900ft+ condos right to the north of it will compromise that view especially from the north. This is the main thing that might can this whole project or significantly reduce it to 50-60 stories.

Last edited:
We now begin the 18 to 24 month approval process. If all goes well by this time in 2014, we will have a finalized product that hopefully maintains the heights and mammoth seen here today and can officially break ground. If they find a way to sell this thing to the public then once they start breaking ground in 2014, it's conceivable that the first building could be ready for move in by early 2017.

That's a tad aggressive...no? Shangri-La took more than 4 years from ground breaking in April 2008 to now. That site did not need demolition but did go deeeeep into the ground for parking. They did not go as high up in the sky as these shiny new toys are though.

Can't imagine how any of this is ready within 3 years of breaking ground.

I think it's great that we have an audacious Ghery project, but for crying out loud they are applying for 240 floors of condos, couldn't one of these towers be in the 300 m range? Why the glass ceiling???

Back