Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

(1) Just as a reminder, that postcard's a 60s-photoshoppery fake--whoever made it used what was actually a construction picture of the TD Tower (note the service gantries above the roofline!), and duplicated it to the left (sans gantries) as Royal Trust.

(2) Maybe not HBC, but there actually *would* be good heritage arguments on behalf of Sheraton and Manulife.

Last edited by a moderator:
(2) Maybe not HBC, but there actually *would* be good heritage arguments on behalf of Sheraton and Manulife.

Completely agree. I think Manulife in particular is outstanding. Sheraton plays off NPS fairly well, perhaps it needs a broadcross walk to integrate better, getting rid of that underground access to Sheraton and improving the street level. There's something missing, but my appreciation has grown for Sheraton whereas I used to feel otherwise.

Who cares what "The Ten" have to say? I'm more interested in what the OMB has to say. Blocking this project is frivolous and I'm afraid only the OMB can make it right.

Have we been told who is on this committee and how were they selected?

We know the organizations who will have members on the committee, not necessarily which persons. I have gathered that in some cases specific persons were asked to be on the committee, but that each organization themselves had a say.

Have we been told who is on this committee and how were they selected?

These are the committee members:

Councillor Adam Vaughan;
Chair of Planning and Growth Management Committee Councillor Peter Milczyn;
City Planning Staff, Jennifer Keesmatt, Gregg Lintern and James Parakh;
Applicant, David Mirvish, Peter Koffman and Craig Webb;
Community, Bob Lunney, Martin Gravel and Dean Maher;
Local BIA, The Entertainment District BIA, Janice Solomon;
Toronto Preservation Board, Paul Grogan;
Heritage Toronto, Mark Warrack;
Urban Planner, Ken Greenberg;
Independent Architect, Larry Richards;
Art Administrator, Charlie Baillie;
Ontario College of Art and Design University representative, Dr. Sara Diamond.

Who cares what "The Ten" have to say? I'm more interested in what the OMB has to say. Blocking this project is frivolous and I'm afraid only the OMB can make it right.

I wouldn't say it's frivolous. There are some valid concerns (in my opinion) with the project such as the lack of amenities and heritage preservation (is M+G worth destroying warehouses; is preservation necessary?). If they can come to an agreeable compromise for those two issues then I'd say that M+G should be good to go.

Last edited:
When I look at a building to determine its historical significance, being a warehouse isn't on the list.
I don't see the merits in preserving the facade of a building when it, by itself, says nothing.

11A38BAB-A40B-4621-BF18-CD29B771567E.png

Back