Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

I thought the first development application was filed in 2005? It was a 2 tower proposal at that point that has essentially no relation to the final product, but still.

The King Streetcar probably won't be around anyways by time M+G is competed. It's doubtful that all three towers will be completed by 2025.

Somehow, there's a correlation btw/those making the "those old warehouses'll be gone, no matter what" argument and those claiming (advocating?) that the King car will be gone in a decade or so...

First, there has to be a plan and money for an underground DRL. Add to that, there will still be a demand for surface transit in order to meet the need for frequent stops. With more population and more people living in the area, the requirement will be for the expansion of transit, not replacing one mode for another.

While I'm sure that this 1 condo development will add a certain amount of strain on public transit in the area, that hasn't been a deterrent to entire masterplanned communities a magnitude larger being developed. I don`t remember anybody being vocal against the development of Cityplace, Liberty Village or Regent Park, despite the fact that those added tens of thousands of new residents to areas where transit service wasn't slated for improvement.

First, there has to be a plan and money for an underground DRL. Add to that, there will still be a demand for surface transit in order to meet the need for frequent stops. With more population and more people living in the area, the requirement will be for the expansion of transit, not replacing one mode for another.
High capacity modes replace lower capacity modes all the time. Just as the Yonge and Bloor subways replaced streetcars, there's no reason to keep a surface streetcar line when a subway replicates its route. Subways were designed for dense urban areas not served by existing rail lines and operate best when stations are close enough to walk to. The Mirvish project and others like it strengthen the need for more subway lines downtown, and to provide the needed relief they have to be proper urban subways, not glorified commuter rail.

While I'm sure that this 1 condo development will add a certain amount of strain on public transit in the area, that hasn't been a deterrent to entire masterplanned communities a magnitude larger being developed. I don`t remember anybody being vocal against the development of Cityplace, Liberty Village or Regent Park, despite the fact that those added tens of thousands of new residents to areas where transit service wasn't slated for improvement.

This.

I don't see how people can possibly oppose M+G because of transit/infrastructure while still being supportive of the other major office and residential developments in the city. Sounds like skapegoating to me.

Last edited:

local stop demand under a subway line with frequent stops is extremely low, the Yonge line local demand is met with a bus every 15 minutes (and is rarely even remotely close to being full), there is simply no way that once a subway with somewhat frequent stops running under king is built will there be demand for a 30 meter streetcar to run down the street at any frequency that makes maintaining the service worthwhile.

Last edited:
local stop demand under a subway line with frequent stops is extremely low, the Yonge line local demand is met with a bus every 15 minutes (and is rarely even remotely close to being full), there is simply no way that once a subway with somewhat frequent stops running under king is built will there be demand for a 30 meter streetcar to run down the street at any frequency that makes maintaining the service worthwhile.

You should check out the stop frequency of the King Car, that might acquaint you with the actual demand - particularly during rush hour. Also, without funding or a plan in place, there is no DRL on the table, so local transit will have to do.

I agree that the transit argument has little impact on whether M&G goes ahead. Transit is already busy without that proposal being yet realized - regardless whether it is the 80+ story version or the 60+ story version.

Density issues in this area are a moot point (TheTigerMaster & Automation Gallery-you both are nail on the head), I think sometimes a simple reminder of the past, when presented with an opportunity is Toronto going to take it?
How out of place did Mies seem?
If everything is designated heritage, why not Sheraton? Manulife? HBC center?
Take a look what opportunity looked like back in the early 70s.
20100926-NIGHT-70spcskylinet.jpg

Attachments

• 20100926-NIGHT-70spcskylinet.jpg
    20100926-NIGHT-70spcskylinet.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 539

Back