IMG_2548.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,543
  • IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,562
  • IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,630
The street wall along St. Joseph street is really shaping up nice. It's a charming little side street. Just needs some better paving etc.

^ As does Yonge! My god from that street view Yonge looks like crap. Small wonder they can't get the businesses to invest in up grading their properties.

^ As does Yonge! My god from that street view Yonge looks like crap. Small wonder they can't get the businesses to invest in up grading their properties.

Aside from the Toronto-standard crap paving, the street view shows how inadequately narrow the sidewalks are. Given the fact that a subway line runs under Yonge, surely it's time to reduce the street to 2 car lanes south of somewhere around Davenport, and use the extra space to widen the sidewalks.

Aside from the Toronto-standard crap paving, the street view shows how inadequately narrow the sidewalks are. Given the fact that a subway line runs under Yonge, surely it's time to reduce the street to 2 car lanes south of somewhere around Davenport, and use the extra space to widen the sidewalks.

Or three lanes with an alternating use centre lane. That would make it as useful a roadway for cars as is present while allowing a significant widening of the sidewalks.

How many time people are going to bring up the matter that Yonge street looks bad and crumbling? We get it, but I'm afraid that keep complaining on UT is not going to change really much (and this isn't the right thread anyway). Let's move on.

And city mandarins wonder why Toronto isn't a tourist attraction. Why would anyone in their right mind want to make a special effort to see a city whose most famous street looks the armpit of some mid sized city from the 70s.

"Five" will address it's immediate block, but the entire street needs to be drastically reconceptualized. (i.e. a pedestrian only promenade from Davenport to Front.) Of course this is far too radical for our small minded bean counters and easily stressed planners who seem to be afraid of their own shadows these days. Right now the only mover and shaker with vision, civic pride and a set of cajones seems to be David Mirvish. And he's the one drawing most of the city ire.

Right now, there is no BIA between Grosvenor and Charles. A good first step would be for the Downtown Yonge BIA (one of the best) extend their boundary northerly.

Back