Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

I appreciate the podium and that it’s comprised of high-quality materials, but, overall, from afar, the tower looks very bland to me; just row after row, floor after floor of repeating glass panels, like almost every other building going up lately.

I certainly am glad it’s being built, but it just doesn’t aesthetically stand out for me at all from afar; the cladding reminds me (so far) more of a dreary office building from the ’80s than an exceptional contemporary condominium.
I tend to agree with you. But that's just two of us...

Why judge before the balconies are up? The balconies are what make this building and yet people are judging it without the balconies.

The most important exterior element of this building outside of the historic podium rebuild is the balcony treatment. Wait for at least a few floors to be installed and then we will know where this one stands pretty much.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    742.3 KB · Views: 1,793
  • IMG_1043-1.JPG
    IMG_1043-1.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 1,773
  • IMG_1045-1.JPG
    IMG_1045-1.JPG
    545.3 KB · Views: 1,791
I find it interesting if you look in the last picture that CIBC and BMO are major financers, and yet RBC will be at street level. Yikes, maybe we'll get three banks in the retail. Ha

Scamander's top photo above shows why, for me at least, that angled roofline is important: with a flat top, the waves up the east side of the building would simply not be resolved. It's as if the balconies are pushing energy up the building, forcing a peak on the wavier side.

New retail in this city should just be referred to as banks. Like, "how many banks are included in this new development?"

Seriously, how many banks can possibly be at retail level? Maybe when every other store is a bank, more diverse/vibrant retail will begin to arise?

Just because the developer is financed by a bank, doesn't mean the bank is moving into the retail units.

Back