Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

Aroma Espresso confirmed? Ah, my prayers have been answered! I was just telling some friends how I'd like to have an Aroma closely instead of going down to Eaton Centre. The RBC makes me sick but I'm happy with Aroma :)

Aroma Espresso Bar confirmed to move in to the retail level, as well as RBC Bank. This is oddly becoming such a copy of Motion retail wise.

I guess the UT joke is really true. All news condos will feature a bank, an Aroma/Starbucks, and a dry cleaners.

Bright new buildings on back-alley-ugly Yonge. It really has become a disgrace to the city.

Ugh. Yet another mind-wrenchingly boring glass tower. And yeah, towers need to start being built *on* rather than behind Yonge to replace the huge stretches of hideous, 1-storey retail ostensibly built in the '90s.

Hold on a minute! Wasn't this project being praised to the skies when it was announced for preserving the "hideous, 1-story retail" on "back-alley ugly" Yonge? It was being hailed as the start (together with the Massey Tower project) of a much-desired trend toward historical preservation of these old Yonge Street buildings.

So if a project replace these type of buildings, it's slammed for historical destruction, while if it preserves them, it's slammed for NOT destroying them.

It depends on whom you listen to. It's always been like that around these here parts! Do we ever get full agreement on one building? No.

I think the critics need to take a closer look at the renders. The waviness in the structure will give the tower some visual interest, and it is certainly not 90's era 1-story retail being preserved here. These are three story Victorians being fully restored, and not just preserved facades.

Hold on a minute! Wasn't this project being praised to the skies when it was announced for preserving the "hideous, 1-story retail" on "back-alley ugly" Yonge?.

yep, "to the skies" is accurate. People were suggesting this and that project should be designed "a la Five". Turns out to be just a shorter version of Aura.
Speaking of 1 story retail on Yonge, those precious between Maitland and Wood on the east side remain well preserved.

Hold on a minute! Wasn't this project being praised to the skies when it was announced for preserving the "hideous, 1-story retail" on "back-alley ugly" Yonge? It was being hailed as the start (together with the Massey Tower project) of a much-desired trend toward historical preservation of these old Yonge Street buildings.

So if a project replace these type of buildings, it's slammed for historical destruction, while if it preserves them, it's slammed for NOT destroying them.

People were happy that this was a project that didn't impose facadism on the storefronts facing Yonge. The problem is that the rest of Yonge still remains decrepit as absentee landlords (remember the Lalanis?) are not interested in restoring these buildings. Only development of the remainder of Yonge Street will solve this problem.

People were suggesting this and that project should be designed "a la Five". Turns out to be just a shorter version of Aura.

Sorry, but that's the most plainly indefensible claim I've seen on here in quite a while. In what way other than the two are both Toronto condo projects can you claim that Five and Aura are similar?

Dont get it:confused:, i assume that people are hoping the cladding will save this building from being BUTT UGLY

Says the guy who said this about Trump Tower:

Whatever, its a beauty and an icon on the Toronto skyline.:cool:

And who claimed that Trump Tower* was going to replace City Hall as Toronto's most iconic building.

torontos most ionic building other than the cn tower will be city hall for the forseeable future..
Have this badboy with all the bells and whistles lit up at night , and we'll see.:cool:

Such rubbish, the Trump brand is a prestigious name around the world...and we should be so lucky to have such a skyscraper/hotel built here in TO

*for some reason AG likes to refer to Trump as 'this badboy'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but that's the most plainly indefensible claim I've seen on here in quite a while. In what way other than the two are both Toronto condo projects can you claim that Five and Aura are similar?

Both made of concrete? I was thinking the same thing on how it's possible to compare the two, but you beat me to it.

Both made of concrete? I was thinking the same thing on how it's possible to compare the two, but you beat me to it.

As I noted above, there are a small group of people on here who will go out of their way to attack a good building, and a good architect, for reasons only their therapists will understand.

They are very often the same people who will vociferously defend vastly inferior buildings like Uptown, Aura, 1 King West, Trump, etc.; and they will often resort to the lame philistinic argument that qualities like taste, aesthetics, talent, and design intelligence are purely subjective, and not measurable or demonstrable.

In other words, it is part of their schtick to REFUSE to acknowledge the difference between a building like Aura and a building like L Tower. At their most desperate, some of them will absurdly claim that Aura is better than L Tower. (It's worth noting that these extreme outliers usually end up being banned eventually.)

Anyway, people like this are just one of the weirdnesses of the UT discourse.....

Says the guy who said this about Trump Tower:

And who claimed that Trump Tower* was going to replace City Hall as Toronto's most iconic building.

*for some reason AG likes to refer to Trump as 'this badboy'.

Hahaha:D, whats all this gibberish about, and whats it got to do with Five
By the way, i never claimed anything, and yes Trump looks good in our skyline:cool:

This project isn’t preserving the “hideous, 1-story retailâ€; it’s preserving the good, historical retail on Yonge (that’s generally 3-storeys or more). I’m glad that it’s preserving that. When I complained about hideous, 1-story retail ostensibly from the ’90s, that’s exactly what I meant. Saliently, the stuff on the east side of Yonge from Maitland to Alexander.

Last edited:
This project isn’t preserving the “hideous, 1-story retail”; it’s preserving the good, historical retail on Yonge (that’s generally 3-storeys or more). I’m glad that it’s preserving that. When I complained about hideous, 1-story retail ostensibly from the ’90s, that’s exactly what I meant. Saliently, the stuff on the east side of Yonge from Maitland to Alexander.

Sure, I am in support of that - but how the redevelopment interfaces with the extant historical retail is another matter entirely. Propping a tower the scale of say Five right on Yonge is not necessarily the right solution for all the potential sites.

AoD

Hahaha:D, whats all this gibberish about, and whats it got to do with Five
By the way, i never claimed anything, and yes Trump looks good in our skyline:cool:

if AD hadn't edited my post you would know exactly what it means.

to rephrase:

What it's got to do with Five is that: You Always Go Out Of Your Way to attack good buildings, and You Also Go Out Of Your Way to praise bad buildings--it's your thing.

And yes, you did claim that Trump was going to replace City Hall as Toronto's most iconic building--it's there in your permanent record: just own it.

Back