Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

I'm just flabbergasted that the whole warehouse is going to be retained.

I should clarify that the exterior of the warehouse is being restored and retained, while materials from the interior, such as the wooden posts, will be reused whenever possible. The interior portions of the warehouse are going to be below the 45 storey tower after all, and there will be a parking garage below. More details on material reuse will come over the course of construction.

does this mean the end of the sex shops... at least in this block... oh wait there's one directly across the street.

That looks fantastic!! A great example of what could be for all of Yonge Street south of Bloor. It's my understanding from previous posts that Five only includes 606 Yonge to the corner. I may be wrong, but the rendering appears to include storefronts south of that. Is it artistic licence, or are there more buildings covered by this project than those under the "coming soon" wrap?

Last edited:
5stjosephs.JPG

source: http://blog.buzzbuzzhome.com/2010/04/five-condos-at-5-st-josephs-looking.html

Well, it looks like it's time to post a larger rendering:

5StJosephs_ExteriorDusk_ViewA03_1193.jpg

Reminds me of the Robson Street model--maintain old 1-2 floor scale of Robson, have tall buildings facing the alley (aka, Alberni.) Then you have the highrise highway--West Georgia=our Bay St.

It may be the first HP highrise design that will turn out decent.

The "porch" design of the balconies reminds me more of Mtl than Toronto motifs. And while it's nice to clean up Yonge St, I fear it may become just another strip like the Five Thieves in Rosedale--"plastic."

Last edited:
There's Much Ado about the curvy bits on the tower, but I'm delighted to see the old commercial fronts on Yonge Street returned to their former glory. Collectively, these humble and often very similar rows of typical Toronto buildings have heft. They survive in quite a few locations - on Spadina south of College, on Queen East and West etc. - and, scrubbed and cleaned and liberated from the garish commercial signage, poor paint colour choices, stucco, graffiti "art" and advertising that has degraded them for decades, they'll come into their own again - especially if we get more sympathetic developments like this one. Also nice to see St. Nicholas Street, a favourite haunt of mine in the '70s and '80s, more widely appreciated.

I think they just may have hit this one out of the ballpark. Can we make a condo urbantoronto's Official condo? Get group discount rates on buying? See you all in the Club! There will be a club, right?

And while it's nice to clean up Yonge St, I fear it may become just another strip like the Five Thieves in Rosedale--"plastic."

I'm a little circumspect, too, somehow--esp. re the 3-storey row; with all those identical "restored" shopfronts, it verges upon Historic Commercial District sterility.

And I'm also wondering: whither Glad Day...

Back