Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

It is very nice, but we need to see some floorplans. I hope this has livable spaces available. Too many of the new condos are just too small to consider living in.

If you like a neighbourhood and building such as Five many developers will allow you to buy two (or more) units next to each other or stacked and then you work with the Architect to redesign the spaces into one good sized apartment that suits your lifestyle and budget. There are some configuration limitations as to what can go where due to HVAC & plumbing stacks but it's a very workable solution.

The Five Site

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

We have a few more teasers for you today before giving you a full view of Five in coming days.

You've seen Graywood and MOD Development's Five concept for St. Nicholas Street; now we have Five's home address on St. Joseph Street. The warehouse, more recently a dance and fitness club, will be restored and retained, while the back ends of a number of the Yonge Street buildings will be removed to provide space for amenties, such as the third storey courtyard, and access to the complex's parking garage at ground level. Compare the render below with dt's photo of the site in the post above, and you will see that Hariri Pontarini Architects has even retained the horizontal lines of the former Carrington's Sports Bar at the back of 618 Yonge, and zipped them up with modern slotted screen.

5StJosephs_EntryDusk_ViewA03_0750.jpg

The stores on Yonge Street will also be retained and restored. Again, compare the render below with dt's photo of the site in the post above, and you will get an inkling of the character that will be brought back to Yonge Street, long since hidden under layers of paint and gaudy signs, once the buildings are fixed up. It all gives one a feeling of how good Yonge Street might look in total if other developers were to treat the historic two, three and four storey buildings lining the street with equal care.

5StJosephsYongeStreet750.jpg

Finally, let's look up: here's your first Hi-Def view of a portion of the tower, with its undulating fritted-glass balconies. You will also notice here that the tower will be longer north to south than it will be wide east to west, your first clue that the units inside will not be deep, narrow, bowling alley type units, but will be wide, and full of light.

5StJosephs_TowerCropDusk_ViewA03_0750.jpg

You can follow Five on Twitter.

We look forward to bringing you more!

Last edited:
Seeing those buildings on Yonge restored to their original character makes me feel like we could capture a little slice of SoHo here. Looks like the perfect spot for some higher-end boutiques to establish a beachhead on Yonge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just flabbergasted that the whole warehouse is going to be retained. Fantastic news. Also, I'm completely blown away by that restored stretch of Yonge. I have never imagined Yonge south of Bloor and north of Dundas to be anything but ugly and trashy. This is a whole new ballgame for Toronto's main street. Wow.

I'm just flabbergasted that the whole warehouse is going to be retained. Fantastic news. Also, I'm completely blown away by that restored stretch of Yonge. I have never imagined Yonge south of Bloor and north of Dundas to be anything but ugly and trashy. This is a whole new ballgame for Toronto's main street. Wow.

Right-on, we need more of this type of development down Yonge street.

Brilliant! Those renderings sent a chill down my spine and seeing the strip on Yonge Street restored brought a tear to my eye. Everything appears, well, just perfect! Bravo!

Back