Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Check me if I'm wrong, but Theate Park is quite a distance to the west, past York, University and Simcoe, about 500m These buildings will have no effect on each other except maybe from a distant south perspective. Did you mean that it "would" be interesting?

theatre park will be visible, even though not by much because it's pushed back away a bit from King st. it roof should be at least as tall as the sun life building from here,

Theatre Park will be visible from that angle if Lightbox is visible.

theatre park will be visible, even though not by much because it's pushed back away a bit from King st. it roof should be at least as tall as the sun life building from here,

From what I recall of the public meeting where Peter Clewes presented massing images of Theatre park, its very unlikely that it would be visible from the above vantage point as it would be entirely hidden by Lightbox.

From what I recall of the public meeting where Peter Clewes presented massing images of Theatre park, its very unlikely that it would be visible from the above vantage point as it would be entirely hidden by Lightbox.

.......... wait wut? :confused:

lightbox is west of theatre park....... am i being trolled?

Of course, Bell Lightbox/Festival Tower is a block west of where Theatre Park will be built on King West.

It's this side of Lightbox, so no, it won't be hidden by it from this view. It may however be hidden by the Sun Life Centre because of how far back on the lot it is from King Street. We'll know in a year and a half maybe?

From Commerce Court. It's so clean. I love the backset office windows in the podium
toronto2012010400043.jpg

The tower is gorgeous but the podium is a step down from the geometric beauty of the original:

screenshot20120106at331.png

I look at the new podium and think "highway side auto showroom". I would have preferred if they just cleaned up the marble on the podium.

The tower is gorgeous but the podium is a step down from the geometric beauty of the original:

screenshot20120106at331.png

I look at the new podium and think "highway side auto showroom". I would have preferred if they just cleaned up the marble on the podium.

Call me cranky, but I don't find the original particularly beautiful either. Especially knowing what they tore down originally to put it up.

Do agree on the tower. The glass gives it a crispness it lacked before.

The geometric and muscular look of the original podium was far superior, even if imperfect itself. The new look for the podium is quite generic; I've seen many suburban office parks with more interesting design.

^^
Totally agree, I think the tower looks far better than the podium, don't see how they could think that this is an improvement.
I also don't understand the changes inside, the original 2 tone marble tiles on the flooring look so much better than the garish white terrazzo that is replacing it and the carpeting.

The new podium is a horrible generic mess and a real shame. It looks cheap and simply, undesigned, as if they ordered cladding from a supply book and applied it the easiest and cheapest way possible.

^^
Totally agree, I think the tower looks far better than the podium, don't see how they could think that this is an improvement.
I also don't understand the changes inside, the original 2 tone marble tiles on the flooring look so much better than the garish white terrazzo that is replacing it and the carpeting.

I'm neutral about the marble tiles--they've moved to a much cooler palette for the whole complex, and the tiles in various shades of brown do not really fit in. The terrazzo has very little character to it (I'll reserve final judgement until they finish and clean it up, however). But I'm happy to see that carpet go. The shades of beige, brown, and orange looked dated and dingy.

So I guess we'll now find out if they're doing the sidewalks ... the most important part.

What bugs me most about the new podium is the architectural "indentation" to accomodate the electronic sign on the corner--yeah, as if such a sign is or should be a permanent architectural feature...

Back