Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Looking at the picture, recladding is long overdue. The building looks hideous. I hope after the recladding, something can be done about the ugly antennaes on the roof, eg make just 1 large antennae rather than so many small ugly ones.

And we should make it a permanent spire so that FCP can be classified as a supertall!

And we should make it a permanent spire so that FCP can be classified as a supertall!

lol... true.. true... i second that!.. I don't know why (why they were building it) they didn't just add a couple more feet to the building to get it in or above the 1000 feet mark... All it took was a spire or something like that :D

Nice! The cladding looks incredible. Hopefully it inspires other deteriorating stone buildings to do the same. That includes concrete clad buildings like the Sheraton and dare I say: the CN Tower!

...the Ontario Legislature...

^^^ They didn't scoop us, they're actually 5 months late. I posted pix of the cladding back in December.

fcpc1.jpg

fcpc2.jpg

fcpc3.jpg

fcpc4.jpg

fcpc5.jpg

Excuse the reflection - had the lens up as close to the window as possible but still got some glare

4604654815_d02bda04e8_b.jpg

Are we witnessing the biggest re-clad in Canadian, North American, World history?

mmm... i think even the Aon center in chicago was bigger... But nonetheless, this is probably the tallest scaffolding-recladding-operation in at least canadian history...

nice shot ^^^ man.. does the base of FCP look BAD! All the wood panels they placed all over the base look really bad!

and seeing that photo, its really neat to see where they propose(d) to built the richmond adelaide centre:

Last edited:
So, what are we looking at here? Is that a rig at the bottom that's going to move up the building? Or are they just to to scaffold it all the way up?

I was under the impression that a platform was going to be lowered from the top. Has there been a change of plans?

So, what are we looking at here? Is that a rig at the bottom that's going to move up the building? Or are they just to to scaffold it all the way up?

I was under the impression that a platform was going to be lowered from the top. Has there been a change of plans?

I was wondering the same thing but presumed I had just missed something somewhere along the line.

Maybe they are just completing construction of the rig before moving it up the building? And they might as well get used to the replacement procedure while at ground level - no use not being completely familiar with it before heading for 900 feet in the air.

Last edited:
^ I believe that is exactly what they are doing. The three story platform will be hoisted by the winching devices placed around the perimeter of the roof. (As seen below in the photos) Joseph over at SSC who works on the site described this somewhere in a thread over there.

They are certainly tightening all the bolts on this rig several times over, before it is hoisted to the top. (It's like IKEA furniture.... You have to tighten the bolts a couple of months after you first assemble it, as there is flexing and stretching.) The same would be true of this scaffold. Temperature changes, heating from sunlight and rain would all play on the integrity of the structure. Because it will spend over a full year hanging from a skyscraper, I assume they are just double checking.

28573_394951896986_505051986_4496471_367175_n.jpg

(Courtesy Stone Guy/B]r at SSC http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=910128&page=21 )

4505858956_4c80d1841a_o.jpg

(Courtesy nicetommy on page 55 of this thread)

Back