Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

FCP this afternoon.... looking good!

5738697580_46c88bed65_b.jpg

5738144351_bc2c61f57d_b.jpg

5738150483_86d2b08fef_b.jpg

by me: steveve

Another two floors completed as of today -

May 6th:

Two more floors done as of today. This will be the last update I'll be doing here as 250 Yonge pretty much blocks further views as they move down.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:
First Canadian Place — the big peel

The platform is currently at floor 50. The goal is to be down to floor 10 by December.

“We don’t want to spend another winter up here,” says Ellis Don construction manager Mike Brodigan.

By the numbers

45,000 — number of marble panels that have to be removed from the building and repurposed

1 — number of marble slabs that fell from the building’s 50th storey in 2007, prompting the recladding project

90 — weight, in kilograms, of each slab

100 — cost, in millions, of the recladding and interior redesign project

72 — floors in the building, the “tallest occupied building in Canada”

113,000 — kilograms the construction rig weighs

160 — people who can be up on the construction rig at any one time

3 — days it takes the current crew of 80 workers to finish a floor

15 — height, in metres, of the suspended three-level construction rig

265 — wind speed, in kilometres per hour, the rig can withstand

Marble vs. glass

How does the old material stack up against the new?

90 vs. 453 — weight, in kilos, of each panel

35 vs. 100 — lifespan, in years, of each material

320 vs. 80 — number of panels needed to cover a floor

45,000 vs. 5,625 — number of panels that will cover the entire building

Being ground and used as white ballast for rooftops, repurposed as tiles, carved into art pieces vs. should stay on the building for a very long time

Naturally veined vs. triple glazed, fritted glass with triangular design to mimic marble’s ability to catch light

Made in Italy vs. Made in Brampton

Dull and dirty from pollution vs. bright, sparkling white

Good article and diagram on the FCP re-clad..:cool:

More.....http://www.thestar.com/business/bank/article/994912--first-canadian-place-the-big-peel

Last edited:
320 vs. 80 — number of panels needed to cover a floor

45,000 vs. 5,625 — number of panels that will cover the entire building

Somethings a bit off with those numbers... They need 1/4th as many panels to cover a floor but only 1/8th for the entire building?
I suppose math will never be a reports strong point.

For those of you interested in the interior portion of the project, I noticed today (upon returning from a 12 day vacation) that the hoarding has now shifted in the lobby and concourse area to the southwest corner, revealing the southeast side. The wall marble is still in place (I don't suppose they will swap that out for glass, at least not inside), but the floor tiling has been changed, and there is no longer any of the brown-and-orange carpet in the redone area. Right now, it's a rather unrelenting sea of white.

Back