Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

...and the thing that'll be happening in cinema 5 that we can't talk about yet....

Hmm, you guys are being awfully secretive. No fair!

Cinema 3's sign looks like it was recently attacked by a poop-flinging monkey.

Yeah, the issue isn't faux kitschy vs. modern... the issue is, if you're going to do something, then do a good f$%&ing job of it. Especially when it's supposed to be a major cultural attraction. I mean really, cheap looking concrete columns? How is this any different than a standard TO condo? You'd expect and hope that this would be slightly better than standard fare.

+1

I was informed Monday for you techy types that the cinemas will have the following projectors installed, German made Bauer Projectors, 16mm, 35mm, and 70mm. Also Christie Digital Projectors for HD (which makes sense because they are a major supplier for Tiff). As for sound I'm to sure only that Dolby inc is a major consultant for Tiff and supplier. It is possible that only 3 of the 5 theaters will be ready on opening day ( this is what I was informed it ).

If I recall, 35MM and digital in all cinemas, 70MM in cinema #1 only and I believe 16MM in cinema #4. The sound systems and acoustics will be state of the art and sound bleeding from one auditorium to another is essentially eliminated.

According to the ClutchPR news release the programing schedule for the Cinemas is:

TIFF BELL LIGHTBOX OPENS ITS DOORS ON SEPTEMBER 12th WITH A FREE BLOCK PARTY

This summer’s coolest party requires no ticket. Piers Handling, Director & CEO, TIFF and Noah Cowan, Artistic Director, TIFF Bell Lightbox, invite everyone to a free block party to celebrate the opening of TIFF Bell Lightbox on September 12, 2010. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m....

Inside TIFF Bell Lightbox

12:20 pm – 4 pm * unless otherwise noted

Cinema 1: Celebrating TIFF’s 35th anniversary, TIFF@35, directed and produced by Barry Avrich, features the history of Festival trailers, red carpet footage and images from the past 35 years. Also screening is Starting Over: The Legacy of Leslie and Clara Reitman, a film paying tribute to the parents of Ivan, Agi and Susan. This film was commissioned by TIFF and directed and produced by Nobu Adilman.

Cinema 2: Screening on a loop, Preludes consists of ten original short films by pre-eminent Canadian filmmakers that were originally commissioned for the Festival’s 25th anniversary.

Cinema 3: A cinematic trailer produced by Stephen Garrett incorporating images from all films on the Essential 100 list.

Cinema 4: 8½ Screens, a special new commission from Atom Egoyan, reverses the relationship between projector, audience and screen by remixing the famous projection room sequence in Federico Fellini’s 8½.

Cinema 5: E-100 by James Andean and François Xavier Saint-Pierre is a sound installation in which key samples of film dialogue culled from the films on the Essential 100 list are heard both clearly and obliquely in conjunction with a randomizer algorithm patched to various instrumental samples.

Full Schedule and Event Descriptions:
http://www.clutchpr.com/?p=271&preview=true

According to the ClutchPR news release the programing schedule for the Cinemas is:

TIFF BELL LIGHTBOX OPENS ITS DOORS ON SEPTEMBER 12th WITH A FREE BLOCK PARTY

Cinema 4: 8½ Screens, a special new commission from Atom Egoyan, reverses the relationship between projector, audience and screen by remixing the famous projection room sequence in Federico Fellini’s 8½.

That's the event I heard about, I thought it was in cinema #5. This all sounds sooo exciting, I'm marking the days off on my calender!

Special Guest: Don’t miss a surprise musical performance from one of Canada’s hottest global superstars introduced by CBC’s George Stroumboulopoulos.

Justin Bieber? Certainly can't be Celine Dion.

Him?
MG013WilliamShatner.jpg

oh yeah the party begins!!!!

I love this time of year, what a great way to end the summer. I'll be there with my cam, camming all the celebrities!!

The rush. BTW : I saw some huge line-up as I was going to work on King Street West at Blue Jays way, they turned the old MV5 Sales Office into a Box OFFice for TifF. - The line up was going around the block. I will be at the party on the 12th for sure. - Just cause I usually have nothing better to do on Sundays anyway, and it will be fun as their might be some VIPS There too.

TIFF rocks - Toronto we're gonna be on the map!

The new O&B Canteen restaurant has been absolutely packed all week. I ate there today and the service was slow but the food was good.

One question....

Where is the formal entrance of tiff? You know, the grand archway surrounded by statues and stuff that will be the focal point of the red carpet. In all the pictures over the months in this thread, I've never really noticed the front door. It can't be very impressive.

Back