Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I thought this building was great when I was in TO on the weekend. I noticed they were replacing some of the black panels.

Zinc is quite a soft metal, and a number of pieces were damaged during installation. Those are the ones which were replaced.

The public art pieces that are coming with this building are by Peter Powning.

Last edited:
And tomorrow we'll be able to talk about the stuff that has been embargoed.

Glancing through this year's film schedule, the lineup looks good - I really ought to go one of these years.

Tomorrow? The embargo is on until September 12th, opening day.

I don't think that Kodak thing can hold a candle to Lightbox. Personally, they don't even appear to be in the same league to me. I'm definitely with Urban Shocker on this one.

by me from this morning

sany2543.jpg

That mechanical lightbox is really awesome! Especially when viewed from King street. it really contributes to the streetwall! They did a good job with it! :D

I don't think that Kodak thing can hold a candle to Lightbox. Personally, they don't even appear to be in the same league to me. I'm definitely with Urban Shocker on this one.

No doubt. I certainly think it has a presence too. The problem is that it isn't executed very well.

I was passing by [video=youtube;4irB793C1g4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4irB793C1g4[/video], so of course, I had to film it. (Mostly at street level)

No doubt. I certainly think it has a presence too. The problem is that it isn't executed very well.

Yeah, the issue isn't faux kitschy vs. modern... the issue is, if you're going to do something, then do a good f$%&ing job of it. Especially when it's supposed to be a major cultural attraction. I mean really, cheap looking concrete columns? How is this any different than a standard TO condo? You'd expect and hope that this would be slightly better than standard fare.

Yeah, the issue isn't faux kitschy vs. modern... the issue is, if you're going to do something, then do a good f$%&ing job of it. Especially when it's supposed to be a major cultural attraction. I mean really, cheap looking concrete columns? How is this any different than a standard TO condo? You'd expect and hope that this would be slightly better than standard fare.

i agree, it seems alittle to normal and nondescript to be home to tiff, maybe with the artwork it'll seem alittle more tiff worthy

Last edited:
Speaking of which, don't count on the Michael Snow art piece for the building - from the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...tman-and-daniels-corp-over-festival-tower-art

AoD

That's a real shame, hopefully all parties can work this out and make it a win-win for everyone.

I have a good friend involved at TIFF and from what he has told me it sounds incredible inside. I won't give any details as I don't want to get anyone in trouble here (or me) but suffice to say I'm aching to get inside of there once it opens.

That's it! I can't hold out any longer! Screw the embargo! I'm publishing!

Cinema 3, whose capacity was 227 persons until a construction worker with a marker started thinking bigger:

Cinema3.jpg

There - had to relieve a little pressure - I can clamp the lid on the rest again for a while...

Last edited:

Back