Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

From today...
20100725A102.jpg

Thanks for the photos. When I walked past today they were adjusting those black vertical panels to fix the spacing. A guy was standing on the south side of King with a walky-talky telling the guys up on the building what to do.

"move it a little to the left..... no no your other left...."
(ok I made that up)

Yes, the ones on King look as if they've been around for years.

I'm beginning to worry about the podium at street level. There is a big amount of dead space all around - even along King. The back portion will eventually be accessible via a lane way, but there will nothing to access. The Widmer side is, shall I dare say, cruel.

From the renderings I had expected to see a generously cantilevered overhang ( I dared hope for as big a statement as the one at Corus ) along King, but it has turned out to be more of a canopy, and considerably smaller. The podium, in general, is a very distinctive addition to the city though - and I think it works well with the tower.

Overall, I like the podium as well. It's just becoming ever more evident that, at the street level, it's not embracing the surrounding neighbourhood.

I think the material of black panel is very cheap, you could see some of these panels the black collar has already get off. I believe they will repaint them after construction is over.

When the film fest starts up, this building will look sharp. All the rough edges will be adjusted so as all the stars shine in their brightest light. ... Some nice red carpet and voila, bust out the video cam, its angelina and halle. Bling-Bling.

Back