Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

Well, I agree with urbandreamer about the best places in the downtown to visit - I'd include some places in the East End, like Leslieville - but the issue is less hipsters/yuppies than intolerable drunk people. Parkdale has homeless people, prostitutes, junkies - and yes, hipsters - but they are all much nicer and quieter than the people who frequent the bars on King West.

As for the Keg: it might actually be a good thing because it might encourage families and older people to come to the neighbourhood. The problem with King West now at night is that it is filled with over-entitled alcoholics driving muscle cars looking for girls with bleached hair and black tube dresses. Not what I'd call a thriving night culture. Some grannies having a night out with their grandkids might be exactly what the neighbourhood needs.

In which case, what constitutes "yuppies" vs what constitutes "hipsters" may demand clarifying--esp. re the muscle-car/black-tube-dress crowd...

Although in truth I can stand neither yuppies nor hipsters.

yuppies=typical image of the yuppie lol.

hipster=typical image of the trust fund kid+wannabes that work in retail/hair salons, etc.

re: the Keg. I suppose it's a sign construction is due to start on this project?

Last edited:
I think they'll start demolition on the existing buildings on the site soon. (Behind the sales centre)
They need to get rid of all of the buildings behind the heritage building on King St, all the way back to Adelaide street. Once that's done the site will be clear to start putting in shoring. They'll need to do something special to support the old factory behind the sales centre when they dig the hole. Will the building be separate from the new condo, or are they building it right in?

The heritage building will be separate (as in not built into), but it will adjoin the new structure. There will no excavation underneath it, either.

I've heard that demolition of the remaining buildings (excluding the Silver Plate structure) could start my mid July. No word on actual excavation after that.

Me? No.

The demo is taking place on the Adelaide building. You can't actually see it yet unless you wander up the lane behind Lee Valley hardware (just off Portland Street) between King and Adelaide.

Although in truth I can stand neither yuppies nor hipsters.

yuppies=typical image of the yuppie lol.

hipster=typical image of the trust fund kid+wannabes that work in retail/hair salons, etc.

re: the Keg. I suppose it's a sign construction is due to start on this project?

This has got to be one of the most judgmental threads that I`ve seen in a long time. Some of you should take a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror before labeling others.

Glad that this one is finally moving forward. This one looks to be a beauty... You have to wonder though...people facing King Street on the lower floors may have a hell of a time blocking out the noise from the partygoers.

...and the strip club across the street.

The strip club is actually very quiet for the most part. You could literally blink and miss it, no real disturbances coming out of it either.
It's Century Room that will cause most of the headaches for Fashion House buyers, since the development is literally being constructed right up against it and ajacent to their patio. Devil's Martini is also right there.
Assuming these 2 clubs are staying put, that's not going to be fun for a lot of buyers. But its not like they both haven't been there for well over 5 years, I'm sure buyers know what they're getting into.

I know that strip club. For Your Eyes Only. The first time I went there, I had a lap dance and then my stripper propositioned me to hook up later outside the club. I never did take her up on her offer....

The strip club is silent and a great neighbour. The "2 Cats" Cocktail Lounge/Bar a few doors down is noisy and the patrons are friggin boneheads.

There is a spin workout facility between Lee Valley and the Century nightclub that is also pretty loud. It rattles windows when the classes are going on.

Back