Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

Other than having busy nightlife, this area is nothing like the club district. I've lived in the neighbourhood for over 4 years and NEVER once seen a street fight after last call when all the bars empty onto the street - unlike the multiple massive melees that erupt every night on richmond sidewalks after 2am.

Yes this part of king west is full of intoxicated people having fun at 2-3am most nights - but that's the kind of city life that I love and a huge part of the draw of the area. And you couldn't pay me enough to walk richmond street at 3 am on a saturday after nearly getting trampled there by police on horseback breaking up fights on more than a few occasions.

/\ Yes, but we're turning a corner. Adam Vaughan was happy to report that last weekend there was only one arrest in the club district - slow progress but progress nonetheless.

June 23

Sales office.
2608246246_591e1b030c_b.jpg

2608246262_0ea85a7e4d_b.jpg

Floorplan?

What are the floorplans like? Are most of them like a bowling alley with long and narrow layout?

Also, what is happening to 544 King W? Could there be another building up there that blocks the CN tower view for those units facing east?

There are certainly some "bowling alley" layouts as you so aptly called them.

What are the floorplans like? Are most of them like a bowling alley with long and narrow layout?

Also, what is happening to 544 King W? Could there be another building up there that blocks the CN tower view for those units facing east?

The floorplans for the 3 bedroom units with balconies are excellent, the majority are OK. The larger units with big terraces have poor floor plans.

Absolutely, the units facing east are going to be blocked by the monstrous and hideous Allied office building.

The office building won't be going up for a few years. Once it does, there will be retail at the base. As of now, I don't think there is any actual rendering of what it would look like. If anyone has information otherwise, please post it.

The office building won't be going up for a few years. Once it does, there will be retail at the base. As of now, I don't think there is any actual rendering of what it would look like. If anyone has information otherwise, please post it.

All I have seen is the massing. Zoe's is the first building on the left, then there is extended Morrison and then FashionHouse. I hope those "150 suites sold in the first week" realize what is going on around them.

alliedbuildingkd4.jpg

^ Ack! Bye bye King St. scale I guess... All those nice brick buildings are going to look silly next to this behemoth.

It's very close to the windows/balconies facing east. Those red/orange/pink windows will not be seen once this new building is up.

So, the only units that will have a view is the ones facing south. Unless you're buying one of those, I don't think this loft is worth $500/sq ft.

On top of that, most units in that neighbourhood have 10 ft ceiling. I believe this one has only 8 ft. This is why they are allowed to have 14 floors.

Didn't they plan on a laneway along the east side? As with any condo, the only ones with a guaranteed view are the ones facing the street.

All I have seen is the massing. Zoe's is the first building on the left, then there is extended Morrison and then FashionHouse. I hope those "150 suites sold in the first week" realize what is going on around them.

Interesting! Thanks for that, SpadinaBus.

That is quite hulking.

It's now 50% sold according to a sales rep. All 1 bedrooms and 1+den are spoken for. I will admit I was tempted to pick up a 1 bedroom (sold mostly to guys btw--we like living in shoeboxes as bachelors:), but thankfully they were all gone, so I saved my $270,000 (includes parking, $235,000 w/o parking) for 520 sq ft for another time.... Clearly if I ever buy from freed, I'm buying directly from him prior to any sales agents. (the "family" package;)

The 3 bedroom floorplans look ideal to me: knock out a few walls, move the closet space around, and you've got a sweet 1 bedroom 1400 sq ft loft! Sales are very slow for the larger units: $800,000 for a 1200 sq ft penthouse? I don't think this area is worth that much, especially with the real possibility of dealing with endless construction next door: Allied Reit office building, in the future freed could buy a few other lowrise buildings across the street (that leather place, for example.)

Wow - a 29% retraction during the initial 10 day cooling off period - from 70-50% sold. That's a little large. Personally, I just don't see this area commanding any more than $600/ft over the next 5-7 years in resale value, so that $270 000 520/ft (without pkg - an additional $35 000) is a wise thing to stay away from. Whoever buys that won't make a penny in appreciation until the next wave.

When I was in the sales office, it was very very busy, but every conversation I overheard wasn't with an end user, but an investor asking how much they could get in rent (and the agent grossly overestimating) - which also doesn't bode well for future appreciation.

In response to someone who earlier posted about living in the area and it being more upscale than the entertainment district - I completely agree that that's the case now, but it's just a matter of time (4 years ago the age range was 28+, now it's 25+, soon it will be...). And while King/Shaw isn't as happening and can seem a little boring that's the beauty of it. 10 min walk to all the King West clubs east of Bathurst, 5 min walk to all the galleries and clubs of Queen West (and Ossington - by far the most interesting strip in Toronto right now), 5 mins to Trinity Bellwoods, 5 min to lakeshore, 5 min to Dominion and Liberty Village and yet, in comparison, quiet and residential.

All you have to do to see how this plays out is look at initial vs. resale value escalation between the two neighbourhoods and the Liberty Village area and north of it across the tracks is the clear winner. It's still undervalued at around $450-550/ft (although it sold around $250/ft 5 years ago and as little as $350/ft 2 years ago)and will also increase to the $600 range as more is completed and people can actually see what's happening.

Back