Toronto Fashion District Lofts | ?m | 10s | Freed | Core Architects

am I the only one who thinks concrete floors and ceilings look absolutely horrendous? it's like you're living in a factory or something...

i was always amused when salespeople were telling me about unfinished concrete floors and ceilings as if they were big selling features.

is this some stupid fad or do people actually like this? perhaps i should start a business ripping carpets/laminate out of condos...

am I the only one who thinks concrete floors and ceilings look absolutely horrendous? it's like you're living in a factory or something...

i was always amused when salespeople were telling me about unfinished concrete floors and ceilings as if they were big selling features.

is this some stupid fad or do people actually like this? perhaps i should start a business ripping carpets/laminate out of condos...

I do not like concrete floors, but the ceilings look great, just have a look to the pics posted by marruda. believe it or not, people like that

Yeah, you're one of the few. It's a highly regarded design "trend" used by the likes of Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, and any number of bigshot interior designers and architects.

When you see it in condos, it's generally because people prefer a more raw and lofty feel, which goes hand in hand with classic mid-century modern design influence.

I guess it's just personal preference. I don't mind the concrete ceilings. They contrast well against the nicer finishes in my opinion. Plus I'd prefer the concrete in return for 10 Ft. ceilings. Some people paint their concrete ceilings white, I'll leave mine as is.

Musical cue, please...
U0273998.jpg

"am I the only one who thinks concrete floors and ceilings look absolutely horrendous?"​
/​

cletus1xh9.jpg

Musical cue, please...
U0273998.jpg

why stop with ceilings and floors? why not unpainted walls and exposed wiring...

to those who genuinely prefer them... i guess its just a difference of opinion

although you gotta laugh at the tools who follow the 'trends' just for the sake of it.

Some places have exposed ducts as well.

Believe it or not, some people are not buying a "trend," but buying a look that they like. Some want a faux chateau house in the 'burbs because that says home to them. Others like the clean contemporary look of exposed concrete. Simple as that.

why stop with ceilings and floors? why not unpainted walls and exposed wiring...

to those who genuinely prefer them... i guess its just a difference of opinion

although you gotta laugh at the tools who follow the 'trends' just for the sake of it.
Sure, why not?

penghouse1od0.jpg

Santiago Calatrava, Herzog & de Meuron, Maya Lin, Rem Koolhaas, Ron Arad, Tadao Ando, and Luis Barragán: all tools!

educate yourself before going any further, gei.

It's not really a trend; i was being facetious.

There are valid uses for raw exposed concrete but much of the time I think it's really because developers are too cheap to finish the job and try to sell it as something deliberate.

Santiago Calatrava, Herzog & de Meuron, Maya Lin, Rem Koolhaas, Ron Arad, Tadao Ando, and Luis Barragán: all tools!

It's not really a trend; i was being facetious.
I could care less what those guys prefer.... I prefer finished ceilings.

And I wasn't calling them tools, I was refering to the people who blindly follow them and then show me their names as if that proves something :rolleyes:

There are valid uses for raw exposed concrete but much of the time I think it's really because developers are too cheap to finish the job and try to sell it as something deliberate.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of piss-poor implementations. Zed Lofts on Niagara, for one. TLS is another example, but I don't think it was an intentional design descision because that entire project is devoid of any legitimate design).

On the other hand, I'm not sure if there's really much of a difference in cost between installing drywall versus flat, polished concrete like in Freed's buildings.

I could care less what those guys prefer.... I prefer finished ceilings.

And I wasn't calling them tools, I was refering to the people who blindly follow them and then show me their names as if that proves something :rolleyes:
That was a poorly crafted sentence, but let me spell it out for you anyway:

Those guys don't just "prefer" it -- they are highly-regarded architects who pioneered the style. It's not a trend to be mimicked; it's an integral element of the Bauhaus and mid-century modernism movements. In some cases it's done well, and in others it's done badly.

Whats the word on this building, its been radio silent for the past couple months.

I went in a couple months ago to just check out the building. There were people living in it but the lobby/hallways were still getting worked on but you could already tell that it was going to be nice.

Is there anyone on here that is living in there? I would love to hear your final opinions on how the builder treated you. Some more interior pics would be nice too!

Whats the word on this building, its been radio silent for the past couple months.

I went in a couple months ago to just check out the building. There were people living in it but the lobby/hallways were still getting worked on but you could already tell that it was going to be nice.

Is there anyone on here that is living in there? I would love to hear your final opinions on how the builder treated you. Some more interior pics would be nice too!

The building is now fully occupied with exception of some units and townhomes that are still for sale.

There is a group in Facebook called "455 Adelaide Owners", you will find a lot of information there, interior pics, opinions from owners, a lot of discussion topics in regards to finishes, final closing, etc, etc.

Back