Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

At the end of the day, people are going to wonder why the original proposal (54s + 42s) was not approved...dont get why everything planned in this city must get chopped:confused:

Emerald09.jpg

I count 54 occupied storeys in the tower plus 3 in the podium, for 57 storeys in total (plus 5 more in the unoccupied 'fin') for the building on the left.l

At the end of the day, people are going to wonder why the original proposal (54s + 42s) was not approved...dont get why everything planned in this city must get chopped:confused:

While I can't speak to everything else in the city, arguably I think that the height for this project is just right.

Keep in mind there are residential houses just 30 seconds west from this block. The towers would be much more oppressive if they were the original height.

Also, considering as the size of the retail component was left intact (unless there were some unknown internal changes) I think that's what will bring the most positive impact to the area. A few shops, a grocery store etc combined with Hullmark across the road will really liven up the corner.

Once RioCan comes around to redeveloping Yonge/Sheppard Centre, it will become a great pedestrian corner, especially as all 4 corners will be accessible underground!

Even when you look at the rendering, there's absolutely no transition between EmeraldPark and the 1-2 storey houses to the west and south.

The rendering has nice shades of sparkling green,... too bad we're getting Dollarama green. Hmmm,... I wonder if Dollarama will eventually set up shop in EmeraldPark,... that'll add a nice touch to this project.

BTW, you'll need a TTC token or metropass to access the 4 corners underground. It's not like its the PATH downtown. Remnants of the North York Centre PATH still exists but the city really doen't encourage it,.... so it makes North York less walkable especially in the winter.

Last edited:
The rendering has nice shades of sparkling green,... too bad we're getting Dollarama green. Hmmm,... I wonder if Dollarama will eventually set up shop in EmeraldPark,... that'll add a nice touch to this project.
Looks pretty sparkly in this photo though. It only looks awful where the glass meets against walls and columns.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/13440854824_686506db12_b.jpg

Even when you look at the rendering, there's absolutely no transition between EmeraldPark and the 1-2 storey houses to the west and south.

BTW, you'll need a TTC token or metropass to access the 4 corners underground. It's not like its the PATH downtown. Remnants of the North York Centre PATH still exists but the city really doen't encourage it,.... so it makes North York less walkable especially in the winter.

Better Dollarama green than Crystal grey. Of course, the glass colour looks nothing like the rendering but I'm sure nobody here is surprised at all. In Toronto, this happens with almost all renderings.

They have poured the 31st floor slab and columns going up to 32nd. 32nd is the mechanical penthouse floor, then there is a multi elevation roof slab which will be 4 concrete slabs and 1 steel slab.

So basically for the stepping/curved side there is the 32nd slab, roof slab (33rd), and high steel roof. (so 2 concrete and 1 steel remaining)

West tower is 33 residential storey tall. See my previous post# 1100 back in September on page 74. I have clear view of 32nd floor columns,.... If 32 was mechanical floor,... Then why 32nd floor columns partition like condo floor? Mechanical would be on 34.

Last edited:
West tower is 33 residential storey tall. See my previous post# 1100 back in September on page 74. I have clear view of 32nd floor columns,.... If 32 was mechanical floor,... Then why 32nd floor columns partition like condo floor? Mechanical would be on 34.

I believe there are multiple mechanical units (air units) that will be sitting on 32nd floor west and we will see a change of many of the walls turning into columns going from 32nd to main roof. Main roof on the curved side of the building being a grid of beams to help support the cantilever beyond the column lines (all of which will be above the mechanical units)

Unless they snuck in another floor in addition to the one they already added and haven't revised the architectural/structural.
Last year (early-mid 2013) the last residential floor was considered the PH6 floor (30th) and with the additional typical floor added this was changed to Penthouse 6 being 31st floor with 32nd being mech. ph. floor, 33rd being elevator machine roof/low roof and 34th being High Roof

Its the same type of thing on east tower as well, currently the arch. and structural are calling up 40th floor as PH6, last residential, and 41st as Mechanical Penthouse.

Last edited:
Read my previous post from last fall,... after being granted 30 storeys for West Tower and 40 storeys for East Tower,... they shortened the height on each floor in order to squeeze in another 2 storey in each tower (Hey, condo buyers purchase based on square footage not volume or height!),... thus West Tower became 32 storey and East Tower became 42 storey,.... and these greedy developers makes more money! Anyways, they weren't too bright when it comes to basic math (yeah, and they're designing and building tall structures,... tall leaning structures!!!),... they miscalculated the amount they would have to chop on each floor for West Tower,... turns out they chopped too much,... so there was about a few feet extra feet or so to reach the 100m height limit for the residential portion,... So they do what they do best, short change their customers some more,... last Fall they cut the height clearance per floor again,... to get enough to add one more floor,... thus, West Tower is now 33 storey residential.

Read my previous post from last fall,... after being granted 30 storeys for West Tower and 40 storeys for East Tower,... they shortened the height on each floor in order to squeeze in another 2 storey in each tower (Hey, condo buyers purchase based on square footage not volume or height!),... thus West Tower became 32 storey and East Tower became 42 storey,.... and these greedy developers makes more money! Anyways, they weren't too bright when it comes to basic math (yeah, and they're designing and building tall structures,... tall leaning structures!!!),... they miscalculated the amount they would have to chop on each floor for West Tower,... turns out they chopped too much,... so there was about a few feet extra feet or so to reach the 100m height limit for the residential portion,... So they do what they do best, short change their customers some more,... last Fall they cut the height clearance per floor again,... to get enough to add one more floor,... thus, West Tower is now 33 storey residential.

I do agree with your previous post that they did shorten the floor heights to squeeze in additional floors, I'm just not sure if they are following the number of floors on the Architectural/Structural drawings done for this project or if they did a site condition and just added the extra floor without revising the drawings. Whereas the additional floor that was added to west tour late 2013 is reflected in the drawings.

Either way doesn't really matter, they are approaching the roof and will be completing the concrete portion of the west tower soon. Based on recent discussions with the contractor doing the concrete forming, and recent shop drawings produced, we are getting near the mech./roof levels whether its next floor or the following we will have to wait and see.

I'm still curious as to how the curved portion (glass leaning) will actually look in comparison to the renderings.

Last edited:

I am so glad I never bought into this development and will avoid all future dealings with this company. With the way they respect their customers in this development, you will see the for sale signs popping up very soon after this development is built.

Taken yesterday. These actually look pretty good. The curved is quite pronounced and I don't think we really need to be worried about whether these will stay true to the renders. The most interesting angle is where the curved slopes out toward you. What will make this type of slope stand apart form a project like, say, the Ritz, is that it curves dramatically and suddenly, unlike a gradual curved that changes with each floor.
What's interesting is, the cladding works for a project like this, and works due to the unique design. On any other project this cladding would look terrible, but much like cladding has been a moderate let down for L tower and Absolute World, their design trump's all the details. (most people won't notice).

*also, is the crane on the east tower the 2nd tallest hanging crane behind L tower?

13563197124_00071051df_b.jpg

13562904375_861b283843_b.jpg

13562992523_e0ed254958_b.jpg

13563330664_3f4c8a37d3_b.jpg

13562989425_10d4994d82_c.jpg

13563071733_99ba626d55_c.jpg

13563080293_211bde07ec_c.jpg

13562946285_3b194e4932_b.jpg

13562874595_265db7be26_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back