Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

The Guardian Emerald Pharmacy is now open. There is free tea and coffee there today.

Also:

There is an ice cream store opening near the south west corner that has taken 3 units. They are currently tiling.

There is a relatively big European beauty supply store opening in front of the Foxie store.

Last edited:
The Guardian Emerald Pharmacy is now open. There is free tea and coffee there today.

Interesting to hear this. With the Shopper's Drug Mart in Yonge Sheppard Center on the NE corner of Yonge/Sheppard, and the Rexall in the Hullmark building in the SE corner, that means three out of the four corners have a pharmacy/drug store within close proximity now. I assume they've done the market research to see if it's sustainable, and a concentrated population in condos and apartments for blocks helps, but I wouldn't have immediately thought of them as a tenant.

I assume they've done the market research to see if it's sustainable, and a concentrated population in condos and apartments for blocks helps, but I wouldn't have immediately thought of them as a tenant.

Guardian is just a franchiser. All the pharmacies are technically independent. I haven't actually seen the store but given the size of units in Emerald Park, I'm assuming they're more of a "plain pharmacy", rather than the Shoppers mini-supermarket and the Rexall pharmacy + cosmetics shop.

One of the metal numbers fell off the address sign of the mall. And now the mall sliding doors are taped off with caution tape.

One of the metal numbers fell off the address sign of the mall. And now the mall sliding doors are taped off with caution tape.

Oh,... just another day at Emerald Park,....

Anyways,... as per images of first floor retail level the escalator and mall sliding doors on Poyntz are "Metro Lands",... thus, it's Metro responsibility and cost to repair them right (already broke last month!),.... thus, mall retailers should make sure they're not getting stuck paying for Metro's repairs.

img_1753-jpg.94856

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-146#post-1177397

Last edited:
There is a nail salon currently under renovations that will be opening up next to the Love Me Sweet and beside that nail salon will be a Jewellery store rumored to be selling Rolexes.

The pharmacy now has a 20% seniors (some exceptions) discount every Thursday. Also would like to add that they do special compounding (can change flavour of medicine for your kids) and they also do delivery.

Around 80% of the units are now tenanted or renovating.

Anyone have any new updates on the LCBO/Grocery store area on level 2? It has been deserted for such a long time and there doesn't seem to be any movement there.

Anyone have any new updates on the LCBO/Grocery store area on level 2? It has been deserted for such a long time and there doesn't seem to be any movement there.

Metro was going to build a grocery store, with the LCBO as a (heavily subsidized) tenant. Metro decided they weren't interested and the LCBO lost their landlord & subsidy, so nothing's happening there until Metro finds someone to buy the grocery store.

Earlier in the thread, it was pointed out that Metro doesn't technically own the LCBO unit any more. It's now owned by some random company, but Metro still owns the bare-concrete grocery store unit.

No updates - Metro still owns entire second floor (LCBO tenant) - No Metro coming - No Metro sale/rent - No building permits - No nothing!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-143#post-1174817
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-143#post-1174818

Even if Metro sold or found tenant today, it would take about a year before that new supermarket opens. The new Longos at SheppardCentre (which is just I-beam framing now) should be open this time next year! Longos has already reinvented themselves as an urban supermarket with large selection of ready-made food for condo-folks. This was the new market Metro was hoping to enter with their new format at EmeraldPark location.

Once Metro saw how poorly WholeFoodsMarket is doing at HullmarkCentre across the street (cafe busy but supermarket isn't), Metro realize new format EmeraldPark Metro with more labour will be a huge money loser and has been trying to rent or sell the space for the last 2.5 years.

If anyone thinks Metro will ever open at EmeraldPark,.... Metro is now more focused on keeping their existing stores competitive and open,...
https://www.thestar.com/business/20...on-to-offset-higher-ontario-minimum-wage.html

BTW, Metro still owns the entire 2nd floor including the LCBO unit, 1st floor loading docks, freight elevators, escalator and main doors.

While LCBO unit finished renovation over 2 years ago, there's no stock or staff,.... LCBO refuse to open until a grocery store opens - it's called synergy. Meanwhile I'm digging into whether the recent changes in location of the new SheppardCentre child care facility to rooftop above Dollarama frees up other retail space,.... that's big enough to host,... hmmmm,.....

BTW, Metro still owns the entire 2nd floor including the LCBO unit, 1st floor loading docks, freight elevators, escalator and main doors.

I remember you posting something that said otherwise.

Meanwhile I'm digging into whether the recent changes in location of the new Sheppard Centre child care facility to rooftop above Dollarama frees up other retail space,.... that's big enough to host,... hmmmm,.....

(A) Not gonna happen, since there's no landlord with an interest in subsidizing the LCBO to draw in customers

(B) The only LCBO-sized unit in the Sheppard Centre is now being split into two separate units, and isn't connected to the mall.

Once Metro saw how poorly Whole Foods Market is doing at Hullmark Centre across the street (cafe busy but supermarket isn't), Metro realize new format Emerald Park Metro with more labour will be a huge money loser and has been trying to rent or sell the space for the last 2.5 years.

Whole Foods is doing fine. The Hullmark Centre location is probably their busiest one - both the supermarket and the cafe - in all of Toronto. I'm not sure what makes you think otherwise. Metro probably left because they thought they wouldn't be able to compete with Longos, which sells better food at the same price point. The only appeal to Metro is being open 24/7, but there's not enough demand at Yonge & Sheppard (unlike Yonge & Finch) for groceries at 2 AM.

(A) Not gonna happen, since there's no landlord with an interest in subsidizing the LCBO to draw in customers

I don't understand why the LCBO needs to be subsidized. Surely they have a dedicated enough clientele that they should do well considering the lack of an LCBO at Yonge and Sheppard. Surely there's enough demand in the area.

I don't understand why the LCBO needs to be subsidized.

Lately, what the LCBO is doing in some of their new stores is getting big supermarkets to give them space at below-market rent, which the chains will do because it draws people into their stores. The new LCBOs at Church & Carlton, Yonge & Eglinton, Avenue & St. Clair and Maple Leaf Square are some examples of this.

On its own, there's not much reason for the LCBO to open up a store at Yonge & Sheppard. They already have one of their flagship stores ay Bayview Village and a recently-expanded one at Empress Walk, as well as the Loblaws that sells beer & wine.

I remember you posting something that said otherwise.

Like I said, Metro still owns the entire second floor.

If your parents put property or assets under your name for tax purposes,.... is the property/asset yours or your parents?

Just because someone else's name or another entity is on the registry doesn't mean they own it. Look at the 4 north most Yonge frontage stores (3 of which host TimHortons who sublet the 4th to Vape shop), all 4 properties registered to 2 numbered company controlled by the same individual overseas,.... but "local signature" and mailing address is a semi-detached little house in RichmondHill (likely worth $1million),.... huh? each of these commercial units worth about $1.5million now for a total of $6million in commercial property investment,.... but according to you, the "owner" would be the guy living in the semi-detached little house in Richmond Hill driving the Toyota Crap-olla!

Probably about 1/3 of the retail & office components at EmeraldPark and HullmarkCentre are listed under numbered companies.

Here, read up on numbered companies and "local signatures"
http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/canada-is-the-worlds-newest-tax-haven/
http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/how-a-quebec-company-hid-millions-from-tax-collectors/
http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/canada-signatures-for-sale/
http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/lessons-for-canada/

(B) The only LCBO-sized unit in the Sheppard Centre is now being split into two separate units, and isn't connected to the mall.

You do realize RioCan recently submitted a number of redesign changes for Yonge-Sheppard Centre right?

Whole Foods is doing fine. The Hullmark Centre location is probably their busiest one - both the supermarket and the cafe - in all of Toronto. I'm not sure what makes you think otherwise. Metro probably left because they thought they wouldn't be able to compete with Longos, which sells better food at the same price point. The only appeal to Metro is being open 24/7, but there's not enough demand at Yonge & Sheppard (unlike Yonge & Finch) for groceries at 2 AM.

Not many supermarket can afford to operate on prime real estate of ground floor with Yonge Street frontage!

The only busy part of WholeFoodsMarket at HullmarkCentre is their Cafe along Yonge, last year it was usually difficult to find a seat since it was usually packed full. But since the beginning of this year, their Cafe is usually only half full,... and very easy to find seat even during lunch time! Why? Because EmeraldPark TimHortons opened across the street end of last year and folks are starting to realize there's other ready made food options nearby like EmeraldPark food court, Sheppard Centre food court starting to open,.... and new Yonge-Sheppard Centre will be more food oriented,... including Longos ready made food offering.

Most locals avoid WholeFoodsMarket due to the high prices,.... they mainly use WholeFoodsMarket as a convenience store to pick up last minute items like milk, egg and bread when they unexpectedly run out at home. Personally, I can't wait for Longos to open!

Last edited:
On its own, there's not much reason for the LCBO to open up a store at Yonge & Sheppard. They already have one of their flagship stores ay Bayview Village and a recently-expanded one at Empress Walk, as well as the Loblaws that sells beer & wine.

Well, maybe you should tell LCBO,... since their market research seems to show the Yonge & Sheppard area should have an LCBO store and a decent size one at that! That's why they proceeded with the construction of the EmeraldPark LCBO store.

There's about 66,000 people living the high density North York Centre Secondary Plan area (condo towers between Beecroft-Doris from 401 to Finch Hydro Corridor),... now only serviced by one hole in the wall LCBO at EmpressWalk with low inventory since the larger LCBO at Yonge north of Cummer closed for development.

How is Bayview Village LCBO "their flagship store"???? And it's 2km away from Yonge Street.

AmnesiaJune, you should actually walk around the area and talk to your neighbours,.... for every 1 person that ask me about the Metro/grocery store at EmeraldPark,... there's 9 who ask me when the LCBO at EmeraldPark will open! And most of the folks asking about the Metro/grocery store at EmeraldPark are mainly retailers at EmeraldPark wondering when the promised anchor tenant will actually show up. Most of the locals like yourself are NOT a fan of Metro anyways,... even when the old HullmarkCentre site had a Metro supermarket, it was dead.

Back