Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Wow,.... on May 18th, Bill123 reported TTC put up new TTC signage too early at EmeraldPark (way before TTC entrance is ready)
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-122#post-1116891

Agreed, put a garbage bag over that thing Bill! :)

And it gets done,..... wow,.... now PipolChap just gotta tell Bill123 to give SunnyRayToronto some money!!!! ;p

IMG_1104.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,252
Today was final closing. Many unit owners came to inspect the units. Many spoke mandarin very loudly. Some came to me and complained about all the levies they got. Final total adjustments for each unit is a constant 17k. It is the pretty much the same for all units regardless of size. The 3K credit never showed up for us even when we did not get water. It is said that even metro paid 17k which angered a guy who is now disputing it.

There was one lady going around to all the tenants (like 3 lol) promoting a sort of retail unit owners association. What prompted her to do this was all the unsuspected levies they got. Personally I do not think it's very bad, our unit is on the small side and its around 7.7% increase. In non pre construction broker fees are 5% so really it's 2.7% extra.

Just how many people are buying property without proper reserves? They would get angry over 2.7%...when their property increases in value by around 4% a year...and these people claim to be so called "investors"...

I do not see section 37 anywhere though it might be the park levie.

Presotea has started tiling. Theres a lady that I have never seen before saying to me shes going to open so thats one more store. Real estate showroom has signs up. Dry cleaner shop has moved in this conveyor thingy.

If you think about it,... these retail "investors" are paying more than 1% in property tax,... add in maintenance fees,... now this 2.7% final closing fee,..... that pretty much add up to 4% for the year,.... but those are all sunk costs. Now if propery value went up by 4%, great, but they only see that 4% increase in property value if they sell their units,.... and as you know, many of tried to sell their retail units and have given up,... so they open their own stores to cut their lost.

In post# 1686 I posted the various breakdown in fees (Section 37, parks, arts, subway entrance, etc,...) - it does NOT include the $25,000 per (condo) unit development fee.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-113#post-1070093

The real problem is EmeraldPark sold pre-construction in 2008 and 2009,.... but didn't get city approval (Final Report) until early 2010 - at which time fees like Section 37 community benefit were determined. But since then, the developer never notified buyers of these fees,... they were content to pay these fees and collect the interest on them,.... now 6 years later, developer wants to collect,.... with interest!!!

Now consider the total cost of all the fees I mentioned from those city planning reports,... divide that by the sum of (about 583 residential condo units + 60 office condo units + about 75 retail units),.... then compare that to the 16k-17k final closing fee,... yeah, that's a lot of interest!

Anyways,... For the residential side, the 3 newly appointed directors on the residential condo board does includes a lawyer,.... I'm just saying, there's probably a very good reason why the residents feel they needed to elect a lawyer onto their board of directors!

Anyways,.... at the beginning of the year when residential units had final closing, most were complaining of the unexpected 16k they owed. Now consider that residential condo units are typically more expensive than most of the retail units,... and now retail units are each paying 17k regardless of size? Huh? Most retail units costed about quarter million,.... the Yonge frontage units costed about a million,.... the little food court units maybe $200,000. Some have combined multiple units,.... but now every retail owner must pay the same $17k???? Even Metro who owns the entire 2nd floor????

Do we even know if Metro is still in EmeraldPark???? In early 2015 (during construction) there was Committee of Adjustment meeting that considered various changes to EmeraldPark retail space for the benefit of Metro - hallways, loading docks, freight elevators that kind of stuff,.... but as far as I know, EmeraldPark was supposed to deliver the 2nd floor retail space to Metro last Fall, Metro was already looking to bail out of EmeraldPark,.... so did EmeraldPark actually deliver on time or did Metro find a loophole to bail,..... remember the developer plumbers and contractors were using the supermarket space as late as last month as a work and staging area. Huh? If it was Metro's at that time why would the developer be able to use it??? Anyways, if Metro really bailed and developer is stuck with it,.... who's paying the final closing fees for the 2nd floor retail space,.... take a guess,....

Retail is around 2x more pricey than residential in terms of $/sqft. Also the tax on commercial property is much higher than residential (2.7% vs 0.7%). We spoke to around 3 other unit owners and they report similar costs. I think its why that fused multiple-unit unit will not divide yet...to save on costs (17k vs 3*17k). Very smart.

Pretty sure the metro bailed...or still trying to lease it to someone more high end. Imagine the 100k+/month in fees being spread amongst the 700 units...thats like +140 a month in cmn expenses and knowing retail pays more in cmn expenses they might actually double it for us in the coming months. Many unit owners at the thought of metro bailing just said "oh LCBO is already good enough" but once they get their real monthly maintenance fees next month...oh boy.

Even though Bazis has concluded on this project and gotten their money their execution of it probably has made some enemies for life. Just how many scorned unit owners are out there like the lady yesterday?

Update: One of the middle eastern food court unit has started renovations. Word is that food court units were charged extra 49K. Yikes.

Last edited:
Sucks if Metro bailed... would rather shop there than Whole Foods or the potential Longos at Sheppard Centre. I don't see the point of another high-end grocer.

This will go down in history as the sole example of the TTC doing something ahead of schedule.

Well,... maybe not! One can argue that since the EmeraldPark TTC entrance was originally supposed to reopen over a year ago, putting up the new TTC sign post a couple of weeks ago is technically late! Yes, it does seems early,... only because EmeraldPark is so pathetically late at getting the TTC entrance completed! The EmeraldPark TTC entrance will likely open early next year!

Anyways, I visited the TTC new Leslie Barns for Doors Open this past Saturday,.... it's newly constructed and massive but basically empty except for the handful of new LRT streetcars there,... it kind of looks like it was finished early before all the new LRT streetcars could arrive,..... but we all know it was late and of course over budget,... as everything associated with the TTC
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...or-prolongs-construction-on-leslie-again.html

But as long as the other guy is even more late and pathetic than the TTC,... in this case, Bombardier with late delivery of the new LRT streetcars,.... then the TTC can somehow look competent!
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2016/04/21/new-streetcars-delayed-by-bombardier-again.html

BTW, the TTC took a number of the new LRT streetcars out of service on 510 Spadina line so they could be shown at the Leslie Barns for Doors Open. Then shortly after closing I see the previous generations of streetcars being ferried a few block to the Queens Street East Streetcar garage. Lots of photos here,...
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-leslie-barns-m-s-ttc-aecom.10123/page-28#post-1119376

IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 840
  • IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 814
Sucks if Metro bailed... would rather shop there than Whole Foods or the potential Longos at Sheppard Centre. I don't see the point of another high-end grocer.

What sucks is Bazis,... but that's a different story!

Sucks that the 2nd floor Supermarket retail space will remain empty for the foreseeable future,... and without this anchor tenant, some first floor retail space will likely remain empty as well,.... Right now EmeraldPark retail space as a huge opportunity but isn't taking advantage of it,..... SheppardCentre retail mall started renovation at the beginning of the year; it'll last 2 years with most of that mall closed off,.... a handful of the SheppardCentre mall retail businesses has already relocated to EmeraldPark,.... EmeraldPark retail space has a great opportunity now to get new local customers into their mall while SheppardCentre retail area is mostly closed off,.... Ideally, EmeraldPark retail space needs to open up supermarket, banks, drug stores,..... stores that people go to on a regular basis,.... like TimHortons!!!

I still wish T&T stuck through with Emerald Park. I think it would have been a great location considering the huge Asian population from Sheppard to Finch.

With nothing visible happening at the subway entrance over the past couple of months (other than the sign, lol) I can't help but again wonder wtf is going on. Last I heard it was the drywall installers strike but isn't that long over ?

Btw, walking by this thing twice a day while watching the "Coming Soon" LCBO sign is gradually driving me to insanity. My only outlet is this blog, the "Emerald Park Anonymous".

image.jpeg

New completion date coincides with LCBO opening. If not yet inspected by then we should see a tunnel in February 2017.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 2,171
With nothing visible happening at the subway entrance over the past couple of months (other than the sign, lol) I can't help but again wonder wtf is going on. Last I heard it was the drywall installers strike but isn't that long over ?

Btw, walking by this thing twice a day while watching the "Coming Soon" LCBO sign is gradually driving me to insanity. My only outlet is this blog, the "Emerald Park Anonymous".

Judging from their staging area in EmeraldPark P2 parking level, they seem to be tiling now. Interestingly, the tiles seems to be an off-white egg shell cream colour (see 2nd photo of wheel barrow and white pail) instead of the snow white colour tiles used across the street for the HullmarkCentre TTC entrances.

BTW,... Last photo shows the GibsonSquare underground pedestrian subway tunnel being dug under ParkHomes Ave just west of Yonge Street (photo taken a couple weeks ago),.... this is basically the stage the EmeraldPark TTC pedestrian tunnel was at over a year ago, so EmeraldPark TTC pedestrian tunnel has more than a year head start,..... now I'm willing to make a friendly bet anyone that the GibsonSquare underground pedestrian subway tunnel (under ParkHomes Ave) will be open to the public BEFORE the EmeraldPark TTC pedestrian tunnel will! Any takers?

IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,001
  • IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,068
  • IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,969
I still wish T&T stuck through with Emerald Park. I think it would have been a great location considering the huge Asian population from Sheppard to Finch.

Loblaw's T&T bailed on EmeraldPark because they realized Bazis was full of crap!

In 2008-2009 when the retail area was being sold, Bazis was promising November 2011 delivery date! When Loblaw's T&T signed up as the anchor tenant, all the other retail space sold like hot cakes to Chinese investors and store owners. Of course Bazis didn't even get city approval until 2010, had financing issues and Bazis needed new partners,.... the new promised delivery date was November 2013,.... When Bazis couldn't keep that promise date, Loblaw's T&T bailed! But the little guys were kept in the dark and now they just got their final closing,.... 5 years after the original promised delivery date! Not many retail businesses can plan out opening a store for 8 years into the future!

The good news is, now we know Loblaw's T&T is interested in opening a store in the area,.... and they're smart enough not to deal with Bazis! It's not just the local Asian demographic that attracts Loblaw's T&T to this area but also they want to be on the subway line to target the subway commuter passing by at Sheppard-Yonge interchange station. Right now, Metropass users can pop in and out of stores along the way no problem,.... with the elimination of Metropass and into of Presto and maybe zoning,... it might be more expensive to do that. Thus, I'd be surprise if we see any commitment from Loblaw's T&T to the area until after the TTC new Presto fare structure is finalized with regards to stopping by for shopping on the way home,....

Back