Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Surprisingly they put the ttc sign out so early. Maybe all there is to do now is the drywalling of the entrance? It can be pretty confusing to commuters putting it up this early, unless the tunnel is actually opening soon.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,207
Surprisingly they put the ttc sign out so early. Maybe all there is to do now is the drywalling of the entrance? It can be pretty confusing to commuters putting it up this early, unless the tunnel is actually opening soon.

Agreed, put a garbage bag over that thing Bill! :)

Surprisingly they put the ttc sign out so early. Maybe all there is to do now is the drywalling of the entrance? It can be pretty confusing to commuters putting it up this early, unless the tunnel is actually opening soon.View attachment 76009

Well,.... that's really a matter of perspectives! Originally, the EmeraldPark Poyntz subway entrance was supposed to reopen in "early 2015", then "July 2015",... latest was "February 2016",... now, they don't even bother with signage!

BTW,.... anyone see anything wrong with that new TTC signage????

IMG_3164.JPG
IMG_5439.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3164.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG
    991.4 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG_5439.JPG
    IMG_5439.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 954
I dont see much wrong with it, perhaps it's too much in the way of the sidewalk? Walking hazard?

Also the Malatang restaurant has begun renovations.

The blue accessible sign should not be there. Someone in a wheelchair will end up taking the elevator down and get a nasty surprise. Considering the TTC is what it is, none of this is in any way surprising.

The blue accessible sign should not be there. Someone in a wheelchair will end up taking the elevator down and get a nasty surprise. Considering the TTC is what it is, none of this is in any way surprising.

Bingo, UncleMeat is correct,..... that blue handicap accessibility sign should not be there!

Yes, the EmeraldPark Poyntz subway entrance will have elevators to take TTC riders from street-level down to the Sheppard-Yonge south entrance at Poyntz-Anndale but it's an automated turnstile entrance, thus it's NOT handicap accessible! And from the automated turnstile entrance to the Yonge subway platform there's NO elevators,... only stairs and escalators,.... definitely not handicap accessible. Anyone in a wheelchair will have to make their way to the HullmarkCentre North subway entrance or the SheppardCentre outdoor entrance and use the maze of elevators at Yonge-Sheppard subway interchange station to get to the right subway platform.

NOTE: City Planning and TTC tried to negotiate with Tridel HullmarkCentre and Bazis EmeraldPark into contributing more for their subway entrances so that this South Yonge-Sheppard subway entrance will be fully handicap accessible but both developers bailed at the request,.... mainly because it would have been too expensive to add elevators from the Poyntz automated turnstile entrance level to the Yonge subway platform level.

In post# 1548 on HullmarkCentre thread I documented the new TTC signage for the HullmarkCentre South (Yonge-Anndale/Poyntz) entrance which is not wheelchair accessible but their North Entrance at Sheppard is - as is their signage
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...l-kirkor-architects.668/page-104#post-1031562

Anyways,.... since HullmarkCentre bike parking is in P1 level which is accessible from HullmarkCentre South subway entrance, I tried to convince TTC to install bike ramps at HullmarkCentre south subway entrance just from street-level to P1 level door,.... but TTC refused citing cyclist will get their bikes stuck in the TTC automated turnstiles,..... well, guess what gonna happen now,.... with this faulty blue handicap accessibility sign at EmeraldPark TTC entrance,..... wheelchairs will get stuck in the TTC automated turnstiles!

Lol the sign is already bringing a lot of new faces into the mall as they walk around looking for an entrance to the subway.

Lol the sign is already bringing a lot of new faces into the mall as they walk around looking for an entrance to the subway.

Quick,.... someone should open up a "Subway" sandwich store at EmeraldPark! Then every time someone goes into EmeraldPark asking "where's the subway?",... they'll be pointed to the "Subway" sandwich store!

A disabled person in a stroller just came by, strolled around probably looking for the tunnel... First disabled person I have seen here.

Holy crap does anyone in 11 bogert find the fat male asian security guard's voice announcements annoying as hell. I don't mind the guy in general but the way he talks in the announcements... I can't handle it

He's pretty nice the annoying thing is they are for some reason testing the fire alarms every week. They have been testing them every week iirc for months now.

Update: The presotea has begun renovations. The Sandwich and Breakfast store have the tenants regularly check up on the unit.

Holy crap does anyone in 11 bogert find the fat male asian security guard's voice announcements annoying as hell. I don't mind the guy in general but the way he talks in the announcements... I can't handle it

That would be "Johnny",.... he's a concierge - not security guard. Johnny is a nice friendly guy with a great personality. His announcements are fine, he has a deep voice,... he should be a talk show host! He's Korean and speaks with a Korean accent. In this neighbourhood, you better get used to Korean accents,.... since Korean are the largest ethnic demographic in North York Centre,... almost one third! Followed closely by Persian,.... then Chinese.

Gotta say it really is an eye-catching building. Although the residential portion on the top looks significantly better than the retail portions.

EmeraldPark's NanaShake is getting some positive press in today's Toronto Star newspaper,..... there's also a video in the link which I can't figure out how to post,....

WARNING:,.... this stuff is addictive!!! I've seen entire families and extended families camped out at NanaShake on weekend days eating this NanaShake frozen dessert. Very odd sight because the rest of the EmeraldPark food court is empty with stores under renovation or sitting as empty stalls,....

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_w...akes-ice-cream-a-treat-without-the-guilt.html

Nanashake’s ‘ice cream’ a treat without the guilt
North York shop offers frozen, banana-based ‘healthy dessert.’

By MICHELE HENRYStaff reporter
9:18 AM, Wed., May 25, 2016
North York shop offers frozen, banana-based ‘healthy dessert.’

Michele Henry learns to make banana-based vegan frozen desserts at Nanashake.

They beckon to us with their creamy ganache or flaky crust or gooey interior — but there’s no denying the post-gorge regret of cake or tarts or, say, double salted caramel ice cream.

There is certainly no escaping the sugar coma, headaches, fatigue and bloating that comes with them.

“I’ve always loved ice cream but hated the way I feel after eating it,” says Yazeed Yasin, 39, entrepreneur and “healthy dessert” advocate.

His love of the sweet stuff, but distaste for the guilt that comes with it moved him and his wife, Tamara Aldip, 36, to openNanashake, a kiosk in a North York food court that deals in frozen, banana-based, non-dairy “ice cream.”

Since it opened just a couple of months ago, it’s become the talk of the town. Customers have been driving from all over the GTA and beyond, including Oakville and Peterborough, Yasin says, for a mouthful of this frozen “plant-based” treat.

Nanashake has been doling out about 1,000 servings a week, they say, which adds up to about 300 pounds of bananas.

nanashake6.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x743.jpg

Nanashake co-owner Tamara Aldip holds a vegan, banana-based ice-cream treat at her and her husband's North York shop. (J.P. MOCZULSKI / FOR THE TORONTO STAR)
“What brings a smile to my face is when an omnivore goes ‘oh my god,’ I don’t need to eat ice cream anymore,” Yasin says.

His product has also brought a contented hum to his tummy.

After immigrating with his family to Canada from Abu Dhabi a couple of years ago, Yasin decided to go on a health kick. He asked Aldip, a former banker and passionate cook, if she could make him a “healthy dessert.”

Taking on the task with gusto, she scoured the Internet for recipes and began concocting variations of what is now their own unique version of fruit-based “ice cream.” Their family went bananas for it, so to speak.

That’s when Yasin, a former marketing manager, put on his “entrepreneur hat,” he says, and the business was born. Since Yasin, Aldip and their two young children live in North York, this new mall, just south of Yonge St. and Sheppard Ave., was a great location, they say.

Nanashake is easy to find in the small but bright food court, which has many entrances, including one on Beecroft Rd.

Early each morning Aldip and the company’s only other employee, product developer Irena Bjelica, 29, hand-make the banana-base of their frozen dessert, blitzing bananas and other secret ingredients. Then eaters can enjoy a variety of items made from it: soft serve ($4.99 for a single serving), popsicles ($2.99 each), even a secret, off-menu Nanashake “ice cream” sandwich ($7.99).

Nanashake offers seven types of soft serve, including “rosey pistachio” which is laced with rosewater and pistachios, and another type infused with spiced date with cardamom, giving these desserts a unique Middle Eastern flare. Nanashake does an affogato, which is a cup of soft-serve drizzled with a shot of espresso. They also have crumbly toppings.

Whatever the flavour, this is an ingenious treat that hits the spot. It’s light on sugar and feels like ice cream on the tongue, but is definitely easier on the tummy. It’s smooth and creamy with a hint of welcome texture. Its taste bears only the faintest hint of bananas. And the mascot is an adorable — what else? — monkey!

Why not choose this over ice cream?

Got an idea for Sourced? Email mhenry@thestar.ca

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_w...akes-ice-cream-a-treat-without-the-guilt.html

Back