News   Jul 11, 2024
 409     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 549     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 701     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

I can't help but notice how even more empty TEC seems. It's a giant empty hangar. I've noticed they've removed almost all seating. I'd be interested to know how much seating was in the original TEC vs now. Just when you think you couldn't possibly ruin what was once a great bit of design, they go ahead and find another level to the bottom of the barrel. Way to go CF.

I can't help but notice how even more empty TEC seems. It's a giant empty hangar. I've noticed they've removed almost all seating. I'd be interested to know how much seating was in the original TEC vs now. Just when you think you couldn't possibly ruin what was once a great bit of design, they go ahead and find another level to the bottom of the barrel. Way to go CF.

The feeling of emptiness is a good thing. I can't stand overcrowded malls. I find it much easier to shop and walk through now days. In about a month, that should all change though. It'll be mall avoiding time until January!

A bit off-topic, but according to the above Uniqlo release their Canadian division is based in New Brunswick. Is there any chance of that being correct?!?

Wouldn't be surprised. Considering they aren't opening many stores in Canada, it doesn't make sense to have a massive presence. It's likely a tiny satellite office, with most of the shots being called outside of Canada. New Brunswick could be close to the port of entry they'll be using for Canadian stores and provides a bilingual workforce. Also a good place to set up a Canadian call centre.

Likely just due to incorporation and tax issues. I suspect it's just a nominal head office, and strongly doubt that they will truly be running the Canadian operations from there. But it might make a cheap spot for back office operations, and as Tuscani notes, it's a good location for a call centre.

But not in the sense of having really good judges who know corporate law inside out and backwards, as Delaware does. Its much more an address of convenience.

So, Zara is confirmed for two storeys. It's got 13,308 square feet on the main floor, and looks like it's taking a 4,518 square foot space on the upper floor.

DSC06803.jpg

Meanwhile, who is going into the 8,595 square foot former Greenjeans space? At one point I thought that one of the Nordstrom restaurants might be located here, but you'll see in the last photo that the bridge that linked the department store to the upper level has been removed. The hoarding up there is black, so…

DSC06802.jpg

DSC06804.jpg

?!

Attachments

• DSC06802.jpg
    DSC06802.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 1,549
  • DSC06803.jpg
    DSC06803.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 2,256
  • DSC06804.jpg
    DSC06804.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 2,649
It does beg the question as to whether or not the up escalator would have to be stopped on those days…

Those escalators are underused, and I could see Apple working up there where few other stores will. There are certain shops that people will go out of their way for, like the LCBO and Apple. Just offer something intoxicating I suppose!

Anyway, it's all speculation still.

All the hoarding for Nordstrom has been painted black. Therefore, the fact that the hoarding on top of Zara is now black, means little.

Back