News   Jul 11, 2024
 61     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 497     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 621     1 

Toronto Eaton Centre

I think the fountain in the south end was primarily removed to expand the (then) seating area for the food court. Cost of upkeep may have played a role, but selling more fast food was undoubtedly the primary motivation.

I'm not sure that CF is dying to remove the main fountain. Had they wanted to do so, they presumably would have done so as part of the most recent renovations.

I too bemoan all of the "improvements" done over the years which have gradually stripped away the character of the centre. Heritage considerations aside, I think it's sad that the most recent renovations stripped away so many signature elements and replaced them with common mall fixtures. Yes, the railings, etc. look new and modern (for now) but also unremarkable and bland -- CF destroyed a lot of the sense of place, and made it look more like any other mall. There are so many ways they could have updated and replaced the fixtures in a manner that preserved the original look of the centre, but instead they went the generic route.

As for the heritage issue, I don't recall hearing anyone seriously advocating for the preservation of the TEC interiors at the time. That's partially a result of the common heritage discourse in this city, which is almost entirely focused on exteriors and where many residents think heritage = Victorian. But, nonetheless, I don't recall any heritage/modern architecture advocates urging a heritage designation (pls correct me if I am wrong). If we as a community don't value the resources, we can't lay too much blame at the feet of CF.

Last edited:
Didn't realize there was a fountain like that - and I agree, it's a really unfortunate loss. I've noticed that removing vegetation from malls is a general trend of late, with the drive towards bland, character-free aesthetics.

Speaking of fountains - I wouldn't be surprised if the ones at Sherway are on the hit list.

AoD

Haven't been to Sherway in years - but wasn't every court a different type of vegetative garden? Hence the name Sherway Gardens?

These old Eaton Centre photos are gorgeous - it really was an amazing destination and now has become a generic mall.

A lot of our malls have basically been desecrated by maximizing square footage. Even the Simpsons and Eatons at Yorkdale used to have quite interesting forecourts that have been folded into existing retail space. Ah well...

You mean this stunner....

View attachment 40626

It was fantastic and of course one of the many architectural elements which should never have been allowed to be demolished. But like all water features they cost money to operate and maintain. Those are real plants in those "pods" as well. Why do you think the new owners of CF tore out all water features and greenery? There were many other water features in the TEC as well...all gone.

In fact, I've noticed the one still existing fountain (the famous main one) has not been working. You just know CF is DIEING to remove it. Trees, plants, furniture, water features, integrated lighting & signage...all ripped out. The few remaining High Tech features (exposed ducts, railings that haven't been replaced) look almost forlorn amongst the bland new interior.

What happened to heritage preservation? The City is too busy preventing another major world class project putting Toronto on the map, that they slept while CF destroyed a major project that put Toronto on the map. TEC was a very big deal when it opened for those too young to remember.

YES! That's the one! I think it disappeared in the early 90s. I don't really remember, though - I didn't venture south of Bloor very much until I finished university.

Wow, I don't recall ever seeing that one. Very nice.
Does anyone have a photo of the one at the bottom of the escalators that went down into Dundas Mall?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those south fountains were ripped-out earlier than 2000/2001 as suggested earlier. If I had to guess I'd actually say mid-1990s. I do recall them, but many years back.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those south fountains were ripped-out earlier than 2000/2001 as suggested earlier. If I had to guess I'd actually say mid-1990s. I do recall them, but many years back.

I've lived in T.O. since 1996/97 and the cascading fountains were gone by then. There was still a fountain/water feature on the 2 Below floor (or whatever it is called - the bottom level) which was surrounded by food court seating. They got rid of that a few years after I arrived in Toronto (presumably to make room for even more seating) - 2000/2001 sounds about right.

I've lived in T.O. since 1996/97 and the cascading fountains were gone by then. There was still a fountain/water feature on the 2 Below floor (or whatever it is called - the bottom level) which was surrounded by food court seating. They got rid of that a few years after I arrived in Toronto (presumably to make room for even more seating) - 2000/2001 sounds about right.
Gotcha. I thought you were only referring to the cascading ones.

BTW, the yellow signs always reminded me of being at Heathrow.

There are so many ways they could have updated and replaced the fixtures in a manner that preserved the original look of the centre, but instead they went the generic route.

That's the beauty of great design...you don't have to replace or "update" it...you just need to maintain it. All those elements were custom designed and reflected a common design element that was reflected in every part of the building. The signs, the railings, the roof, window wall and bridge structural elements, the stairs, the "street" lighting, the planters...all in that integrated High Tech white painted steel. Take a careful look at the way they had designed the street lights...they were made of that same white painted steel conduit, which curved up from under the floor slabs. A simple and elegant design.

And most of it they never "upgraded" or replaced...they simply eliminated it all together. Except for a few little planters, the greenery is basically non-existant (I would actually describe the early TEC as "lush"). As mentioned, the water featured save for the major attraction one (although I noticed not working) are all gone...as is a lot of the art. There's only a fraction of the seating there used to be.

All of the "street lights" were removed and not replaced. In the old days, the place had a nice glow at night, as these street lights added a really nice ambiance.

Now it's lit up very harshly, like an arena.

Originally Posted by khristopher
Does anyone have a photo of the one at the bottom of the escalators that went down into Dundas Mall?

Ah the one with the offset cube. There was another one at the top of the escalator with more cubes.

Are you talking about the one that goes down to -3 (the new food court)?

If so, that was a 1990 addition when Eatons gave up -3. That was a glass, steel and water sculpture installation by Stacey Spiegel called Facets (he also did the "synthetic Eden" installation (metal/fountain sculptures) in the courtyard at One Financial Place.

It was also removed. The space wasn't used for anything (except an ATM), so as with everything else, it was done for totally cost saving reasons. Water features and plants are verboten features to the soulless mall owners these days.

Spiegel_facets11.jpg

Attachments

• Spiegel_facets11.jpg
    Spiegel_facets11.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Are you talking about the one that goes down to -3 (the new food court)?

If so, that was a 1990 addition when Eatons gave up -3. That was a glass, steel and water sculpture installation by Stacey Spiegel called Facets (he also did the "synthetic Eden" installation (metal/fountain sculptures) in the courtyard at One Financial Place.

It was also removed. The space wasn't used for anything (except an ATM), so as with everything else, it was done for totally cost saving reasons. Water features and plants are verboten features to the soulless mall owners these days.
Yes that one! Thanks :) It was so nice.

Back