Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Hard to believe we're already about a year into construction which means only another year and a half to go

I, on the other hand find it hard to believe that this project can take so long. My guess is that it might open in segments. Perhaps the stores along Yonge can open in time for Christmas 2015 creating a hallway with the opened stores on one side and wallpapered hoarding on the other. Then they can finish the Nordstrom which would open Fall 2016.

Don't take my comment the wrong way. I also think it's crazy that it's taking 2.5 years to get this store together. I'm just commenting on how far along we are in the wait already.

Seems like a normal timeline to me, and I am in the industry. It takes up to a year and a half for a typical big box store to be built and outfitted, which is much easier as everything is designed and built to spec. This space is much larger, more complex, and requires demolition and major structural work before the space can be turned over for interior buildout. I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the store fixtures are custom made specifically for this store.

Look at Simons at Square One. It was announced back in November 2014, and construction has been ongoing through 2014, and isn't expected to be completed until 2017. That is almost 4 years of construction!

Last edited:
It's becoming clear that Apple will indeed move into this space. From my post in the Apple Store thread:

Knowing Apple, I doubt that they'd tell their retail employees about this plan unless they needed to know. It's likely that only the store managers, and other higer ups would know for sure, until the absolute last minute (moving day).

The rest of the store staff may have noticed that things are going unfixed, saw rumours online, and pieced together that a move is imminent.

It's also plausible that you may have overheard one of the managers, as they do wander around the store floor in clothing indistinguishable from the rest of the staff.

Last edited:
H & m

I've learned from a friend of mine who is an employee at H&M that they're planning to move from their current location, into the rebuilt portion of the mall. This will be a good move for them since, like the Apple Store, their store is often overcrowded.

I can't vogue for the accuracy of this (he's just a low level retail employee), but he'd have no reason to mislead me.

Seems like a normal timeline to me, and I am in the industry. It takes up to a year and a half for a typical big box store to be built and outfitted, which is much easier as everything is designed and built to spec. This space is much larger, more complex, and requires demolition and major structural work before the space can be turned over for interior buildout. I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the store fixtures are custom made specifically for this store.

Look at Simons at Square One. It was announced back in November 2014, and construction has been ongoing through 2014, and isn't expected to be completed until 2017. That is almost 4 years of construction!
Simons at Square One is opening in 2016 according to the map on the Square One website.

Knowing Apple, I doubt that they'd tell their retail employees about this plan unless they needed to know. It's likely that only the store managers, and other higer ups would know for sure, until the absolute last minute (moving day).

The rest of the store staff may have noticed that things are going unfixed, saw rumours online, and pieced together that a move is imminent.

It's also plausible that you may have overheard one of the managers, as they do wander around the store floor in clothing indistinguishable from the rest of the staff.

There's a precedent. I recall that before it was known that there would be a new Apple Store in Yorkdale, staff seemed to know that it was their last Christmas in the original store. If I've noticed that the store isn't being run for the long term, then I'm sure employees who deal with these unfixed or patched up issues every day will be more aware of them and can make the connection that the store is being replaced.

Add in all the other clues such as an unknown retailer with signature demands typical of Apple and simply the fact that they're a high performing tenant in need of more space, I think it's pretty safe to assume that there will be a new Apple Store in the revised Sears space.

I've learned from a friend of mine who is an employee at H&M that they're planning to move from their current location, into the rebuilt portion of the mall. This will be a good move for them since, like the Apple Store, their store is often overcrowded.

I can't vogue for the accuracy of this (he's just a low level retail employee), but he'd have no reason to mislead me.

So H&M would move out of their existing home in the atrium? It would be so great if they returned the atrium to an open space facing the corner of Yonge & Dundas.

If H&M indeed moves, I'm curious who would take over their current location. Maybe Uniqlo?

I really liked the Eaton Centre H&M store until they renovated it a few years ago and since then its circulation has been an absolute mess.

Seems like almost every store in this mall is overcrowded. I can't imagine how bad things will get when the population in downtown doubles within the next couple of decades.

There's a precedent. I recall that before it was known that there would be a new Apple Store in Yorkdale, staff seemed to know that it was their last Christmas in the original store. If I've noticed that the store isn't being run for the long term, then I'm sure employees who deal with these unfixed or patched up issues every day will be more aware of them and can make the connection that the store is being replaced.

Yup, essentially what I was trying to say.

One thing to keep in mind is how much longer the wait will be until they move. If the move was a long time from now, they wouldn't be telling their employees to stop repairs. What's the earliest that the renovated portion of the mall could be ready for stores to move in?

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the location of an Apple store. I don't own a single Apple product and the only time I've stepped in their stores is when I was with a friend who wanted to go.

Seems like almost every store in this mall is overcrowded. I can't imagine how bad things will get when the population in downtown doubles within the next couple of decades.

Union Station is getting 160,000 sq.ft of retail and Oxford Place is going to be massive. This will take pressure of Eaton Centre for the southmost communities in City Place, South Core and the Waterfront. Eaton Centre itself is not only expanding into the former Sears store but it's also growing south as Cadillac Fairview purchased The Bay's Queen St store.

That said, all stores are not overcrowded. This is pretty much an Apple Store issue. It's not just intolerably crowded during Christmas and other busy shopping seasons, it's busy all the time. If the mall is ever slow, pass by the Apple Store and invariably you'll find it unproportionally busy.

Yup, essentially what I was trying to say.

One thing to keep in mind is how much longer the wait will be until they move. If the move was a long time from now, they wouldn't be telling their employees to stop repairs. What's the earliest that the renovated portion of the mall could be ready for stores to move in?

With the corridor closing on the main level, we know that they're now working on the stores along Yonge. It's possible that some stores could open this Fall while work continues on Nordstrom. Also, if H&M is indeed moving out of their current space, that might confirm that this project will open in stages. Cadillac Fairview wouldn't cut the ribbon on their renovation with H&M moving to a new store and leaving their old one vacant — which happens to be the signature space for their Yonge & Dundas corner.

I think that this Fall 2015, we'll see 3 to 4 big retailers open 2 or 3 level stores along Yonge from the entrance opposite to Roots going north. If H&M is one of them, the atrium will close for renovations. Everything else will open in Fall 2016.

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the location of an Apple store. I don't own a single Apple product and the only time I've stepped in their stores is when I was with a friend who wanted to go.

You and me both.

The attraction for me however is from an urban planning perspective, like it or not the Apple store will be an attraction to others and create a lively and vibrant presence in its vicinity.

Back