Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I don't think they look alike either. What I meant was they (the Toronto one specifically) seem to have put similar effort (or the lack of it) in making the store attractive.
Feel free to think the Eaton Centre Apple store is beautiful or well-designed. I just don't find it any more appealing than a Walmart or Canadian Tire. Believe it or not, some urban Walmart stores are pretty nice. although the word Walmart itself seems to be an anathema on this forum.

If I had absolutely nothing worthwhile to do, I could happily stand around in the Apple Store Eaton Centre browsing the web on a MacBook or something. If I spend more than 5 minutes in a Walmart, I'll get nosebleeds.

I would love if this thread moved on from an absurd comparison between Apple and Walmart and went back on topic.

The north mall - is north of Sears where the court was/used to be. The Sears store in and of itself has HUGE floorplates. Nordstrom is only 250k square feet.

I'm sad to see the North Mall become entirely commercialized, but I'd rather it be a cool Apple store than what it is now, which is a hybrid of what it used to be and something much worse.

Fingers crossed.

does this mean that we'll be seeing multiple tenants where Sears used to be? If so, I'd be immensely pleased. Myself and almost everyone I've talked to have said that they'd prefer several smaller stores rather than one massive anchor tenant (Sears sized).

does this mean that we'll be seeing multiple tenants where Sears used to be? If so, I'd be immensely pleased. Myself and almost everyone I've talked to have said that they'd prefer several smaller stores rather than one massive anchor tenant (Sears sized).

Amen! I would love to see the entire store converted into an extension of the mall on every floor

Yes, Nordstrom is only taking a portion of what's available at the former Sears site, so it's going to be very interesting seeing how it is all divided up. I'm hoping for a better integration of the North Mall on the first underground level.

I have a feeling we're going to see store fronts along Yonge, and the path currently going through the old space is the diving line. Walking north through it would have Nordstrom on the left, and the new stores to the right.

Yes, Nordstrom is only taking a portion of what's available at the former Sears site, so it's going to be very interesting seeing how it is all divided up. I'm hoping for a better integration of the North Mall on the first underground level.

From what I understand, that first underground level will be entirely a continuation of the mall all the way to the Dundas subway entrance. Nordstrom will start on the main level and up. The lower level might replicate the level where the Old Navy is. This alone should improve pedestrian flow to and from the Yonge Dundas atrium.

It looks like you'll still have to go through Nordstrom to cross from the mall to the Yonge Dundas atrium on the main level.

I have a feeling we're going to see store fronts along Yonge, and the path currently going through the old space is the diving line. Walking north through it would have Nordstrom on the left, and the new stores to the right.

Sort of. Nordstrom may have an L shape. Mid way to Dundas, it'll start fronting Yonge street. The alleged Apple Store would go in one of those stores on the right facing Yonge St. All of those stores will be two stories high so we should see some more high profile retailers with a presence on Yonge. This will really liven the street I think.

The current hallway runs inside of what would be those stores. They're building Nordstrom along with the finished hallway behind the hoardings. When they're ready, the hoarding will come down and new hoarding erected to start building the individual stores fronting Yonge.

Last edited:
Sort of. Nordstrom may have an L shape. Mid way to Dundas, it'll start fronting Yonge street. The alleged Apple Store would go in one of those stores on the right facing Yonge St. All of those stores will be two stories high so we should see some more high profile retailers with a presence on Yonge. This will really liven the street I think.

The current hallway runs inside of what would be those stores. They're building Nordstrom along with the finished hallway behind the hoardings. When they're ready, the hoarding will come down and new hoarding erected to start building the individual stores fronting Yonge.

Damn - I wish Cadillac Fairview had done that for the Vancouver Nordstrom store - It would have provided a much better streetscape on Granville St. Sounds like Yonge will benefit greatly from the reno.

Last edited:
Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5G 1Z3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 266193 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations to a portion of level 3 of "Nordstrom" for "EBAR" cafe a total of 7 seats. Refer to related base permit 14-262555 for alteraltions of floor level 3 -5 inclusive. See also related permits Note: Property has a covenience address of 260 Yonge St
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO ON M5G 1Z3

Application#: 14 266214 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations to a portion of level 4 of "Nordstrom" for "HABITANT" cafe a total of 30 seats. Refer to related base permit 14-262555 for alteraltions of floor level 3 -5 inclusive. See also related permits Note: Property has a covenience address of 260 Yonge St
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO ON M5G 1Z3

Application#: 14 266227 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 19, 2014

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations to a portion of level 5 of "Nordstrom" for "BAR VERDE" cafe a total of seats. Refer to related base permit 14-262555 for alteraltions of floor level 3 -5 inclusive. See also related permits Note: Property has a covenience address of 260 Yonge St

It's becoming clear that Apple will indeed move into this space. From my post in the Apple Store thread:

I think we can start to piece together the small hints with the bigger ones. Today at the Apple Store, one cash register wouldn't open and they had to bang the table to get it to open. I overheard employees talking about how they won't be there long anyway. That got me thinking about some very un-Apple like patch up jobs on broken things I've noticed around the store. They're holding back on replacements or big renovations in the existing store because they're going to have a brand new one soon.

Given that Apple has probably the highest volume of sales per square foot at the Eaton Centre, it's not hard to imagine that they'll go in the shiny new renovation with Yonge. St. frontage. They did it at Yorkdale and almost certainly will do it at Eaton Centre. Nordstrom isn't occupying the entire former Sears space and as I've mentioned in the Nordstrom thread, there's a large 2 story space being developed by a very secretive tenant. The few 2 story stores sharing Yonge St. frontage with Nordstrom are clearly going to high profile, deep pocketed retailers.

I think we can call this case closed. There will soon be a 2 story Apple Store at the Eaton Centre. Finally.

They I noticed yesterday that they closed the hallway again. Its a real pain to get through the Eaton Centre from Dundas without that..

Back