Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

After having seen the Sony Centre in Berlin and now The Well I can see CF glassing over the space between the EC and Old City Hall to create a more useable space. Even cover over Albert Street. If they can pull it off in Astana surely we can do it here! Lol
What would be the point of that?

Not happening.

LOL

After having seen the Sony Centre in Berlin and now The Well I can see CF glassing over the space between the EC and Old City Hall to create a more useable space. Even cover over Albert Street. If they can pull it off in Astana surely we can do it here! Lol

Too costly to justify and structural engineering wise it is too complex finally, what is the outcome use of achieving this renovation?

Progress of the new stairs close to the south entrance along Queen Street

20230730_165540.jpg
20230730_165543.jpg
20230730_165636.jpg
20230730_165709.jpg
20230730_165712.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 496349

That upper set of stairs is going to ruin that view from the south entrance looking into the mall with all the birds. I suppose the view from the stairs will be good but not exactly people are happy with you pausing to enjoy it/take pictures.

That upper set of stairs is going to ruin that view from the south entrance looking into the mall with all the birds. I suppose the view from the stairs will be good but not exactly people are happy with you pausing to enjoy it/take pictures.
Since when has CF shown sensitivity to architectural design?

IMG_0418.jpg

Snapped this photo recently on my way home. The revitalized glass roof (largely done on the Queen St side) really is quite nice.

I was also recently listening to a podcast on the history of retail in Toronto, and it mentioned that the Eaton Centre was meant to be inspired by European shopping arcades, and I only then finally realized how well it explains the "hallway" nature of this mall in downtown Toronto.

Last edited:
View attachment 496578

Snapped this photo recently on my way home. The revitalized glass roof (largely done on the Queen St side) really is quite nice.

I was also recently listening to a podcast on the history of retail in Toronto, and it mentioned that the Eaton Centre was meant to be inspired by European shopping arcades, and I only then finally realized how well it explains the "hallway" nature of this mall in downtown Toronto.

The clarity of the new glass is very impressive and is immediately noticeable when walking through the mall. The old glass was textured wire reinforced glass with double the mullions - I feel like this new roof is respectful of the high-tech style while feeling much brighter and more contemporary. They've also updated the spotlights on the roof so at night the artificial light is much more natural.

The clarity of the new glass is very impressive and is immediately noticeable when walking through the mall. The old glass was textured wire reinforced glass with double the mullions - I feel like this new roof is respectful of the high-tech style while feeling much brighter and more contemporary. They've also updated the spotlights on the roof so at night the artificial light is much more natural.

^^ Good observations with which I agree, now, when CF puts back the original railings, floors and the trees they took out, TEC will look 1/2 way decent and I will accord them appropriate credit. At the moment, I feel like we're at best treading water, for each improvement there is an offsetting setback.

Last edited:

Redundancy during the inevitable escalator repairs? or is this a new building code requirement?
In Pacific Centre in Vancouver, CF also built a staircase right next to two escalators in the middle of the mall.

Back